Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Developing a CS - thoughts on plot?
Zokrar Offline

Threads: 16
Developing a CS - thoughts on plot?

I'm currently in the midst of thinking up a new CS. It'll revolve mildly around the idea of Jack and the Beanstalk. It's not going to be a scary story, but more just one to test ideas for future stories & have fun with. The architecture will be massive compared to the character (all scaled up by ~50x.) and will hopefully include some custom models to give it more of a cheery atmosphere.

This is just a speculation for now. What do you guys think?

[Image: fxiuTPu.png]

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013, 11:16 PM by Zokrar.)
06-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74
RE: Developing a CS - thoughts on plot?

Could work. Models'll look very very stretched though.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
06-29-2013, 02:01 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(06-28-2013, 10:16 PM)Zokrar Wrote: The architecture will be massive compared to the character (all scaled up by ~50x.) and will hopefully include some custom models to give it more of a cheery atmosphere.
Beware of stretched textures which will make the game look very weird.

This could require a bit of work, but something you could do to completely counter this is to re-skin the models which will appear stretched with higher-res textures.

Also, judging from the title you want to talk plot...how so exactly? Could you go into more depth on what you want to discuss, because I don't think giant models are your only concern here.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2013, 03:07 AM by Kreekakon.)
06-29-2013, 03:06 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

I personally think it's a pretty neat idea. The whole "cheery" thing might give off a creepy vibe considering the engine we're using XD Also, if you're intending to use the grunts as giants, that won't work. The grunts can be scaled but their animations won't stay the same, so you'll end up with grunts that are huge when you place them down in the level editor, but shrink to normal size once you're in the game again. It would almost be easier to edit Daniel's height and walking/running paces than to scale everything up. Not sure how that would work (I'm no skilled modeller) and I don't even know if it's possible, but it's worth trying :D

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
06-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Find
Wapez Offline

Threads: 37

(06-29-2013, 06:37 AM)Kiandra Wrote: I personally think it's a pretty neat idea. The whole "cheery" thing might give off a creepy vibe considering the engine we're using XD Also, if you're intending to use the grunts as giants, that won't work. The grunts can be scaled but their animations won't stay the same, so you'll end up with grunts that are huge when you place them down in the level editor, but shrink to normal size once you're in the game again. It would almost be easier to edit Daniel's height and walking/running paces than to scale everything up. Not sure how that would work (I'm no skilled modeller) and I don't even know if it's possible, but it's worth trying Big Grin

Changing the proportions of the Player would (technically) be possible through some script changes, but I'm not sure how well it would work out. This would however require the mod to be a full conversion, and you need to have some insight in how the .cfg script files work.

However, here's what should be given a look at firstly:

Spoiler below!

<Player_Body

Mass = "70"
Size = "0.8 1.8 0.8"
CrouchSize = "0.8 1.2 0.8"

GravityForce = "0 -20 0"

CameraPosAdd = "0 -0.05 0"
CameraSmoothPosNum = "10"

AccurateClimbing = "true"
MaxNoSlideSlopeAngle = "45"
MaxPushMass = "10"
PushForce = "55"
CharacterMaxPushMass = "15"
CharacterPushForce = "100"
MaxStepSize = "0.4"
MaxStepSizeInAir = "0.1"
StepClimbSpeed = "5.0"

/>

The file with this script is located inside:

Amnesia The Dark Descent>YourFullConversion>config>game.cfg

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM by Wapez.)
06-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Find
Plank Offline

Threads: 1

It's a good idea except I don't know how this will work without a beanstalk model

does everything taste like chicken or
does chicken taste like everything?
07-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Find