Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Editor Help Trying to learn how to edit a model
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Trying to learn how to edit a model

(07-18-2012, 04:04 PM)zergling50 Wrote:
(07-18-2012, 11:15 AM)SilentStriker Wrote: I would suggest just mess around with it. As long as you don't save untill your happy with it and remember to not overwrite any of the files from the original grunt

How do I open the model in gimp to mess with it? I have it downloaded but cant figure this out.
The gimp is an image editing tool, not for 3D modeling.
07-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

IIRC, you can attach things to bones, which would make things such as billboards move with the monster, but this does not mean they'll be deactivated along with the monster.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
07-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Website Find
zergling50 Offline

Threads: 9

(07-18-2012, 08:40 PM)Your Computer Wrote: IIRC, you can attach things to bones, which would make things such as billboards move with the monster, but this does not mean they'll be deactivated along with the monster.

What about the texture? I have it applied and it shows in the model editor, but doesnt show in the level editor.
EDIT: Also, what did you mean by IIRC?
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012, 07:38 PM by zergling50.)
07-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(07-19-2012, 07:37 PM)zergling50 Wrote: What about the texture? I have it applied and it shows in the model editor, but doesnt show in the level editor.

Applying textures means nothing if you're using the same file names as the original.

IIRC = if i remember correctly.

07-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Website Find
zergling50 Offline

(07-19-2012, 09:07 PM)Your Computer Wrote:
(07-19-2012, 07:37 PM)zergling50 Wrote: What about the texture? I have it applied and it shows in the model editor, but doesnt show in the level editor.

Applying textures means nothing if you're using the same file names as the original.

IIRC = if i remember correctly.
And what about the billboards? you said you can attach them but I messed with the editor and didnt see how.
EDIT: I also tried renaming the .dds file without canging the .dds extension but it would no longer show up if i searched for it in the model editor. It had to be named servant_grunt.dds to show up. Do I have to change all of them to the new monsters name? or is there something else I have to do that I'm missing?
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012, 11:37 PM by zergling50.)
07-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(07-19-2012, 10:58 PM)zergling50 Wrote: And what about the billboards? you said you can attach them but I messed with the editor and didnt see how.
EDIT: I also tried renaming the .dds file without canging the .dds extension but it would no longer show up if i searched for it in the model editor. It had to be named servant_grunt.dds to show up. Do I have to change all of them to the new monsters name? or is there something else I have to do that I'm missing?

Select the bone you want to attach a billboard to. On the right you'll then see an Attachments tab. Pick Bi for billboards, click attach, and click on the billboards you want attached to the bone.

The DAE file which makes up the grunt references its own textures. So long as it is pointing to the original texture, doing anything to your texture is futile. Note, again, the file names of everything (DAE, ENT, DDS, MAT, etc) must not be the same as the originals for custom story files.

07-20-2012, 03:23 AM
Website Find
zergling50 Offline

(07-20-2012, 03:23 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(07-19-2012, 10:58 PM)zergling50 Wrote: And what about the billboards? you said you can attach them but I messed with the editor and didnt see how.

Select the bone you want to attach a billboard to. On the right you'll then see an Attachments tab. Pick Bi for billboards, click attach, and click on the billboards you want attached to the bone.

The DAE file which makes up the grunt references its own textures. So long as it is pointing to the original texture, doing anything to your texture is futile. Note, again, the file names of everything (DAE, ENT, DDS, MAT, etc) must not be the same as the originals for custom story files.
So im guessing just renaming the files wont work? I opened up the DAE file in programmers notepad (equivalient to notepad ++) and it contains a lot of data. I dont want to screw around with it without guidance for fear of breaking something. What exactly in it needs to change? Where are the references that I need to divert to my new texture. Also, though, should I rename them all?
EDIT:By the way, the bone attachment thing worked, thanks!
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2012, 08:06 PM by zergling50.)
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(07-20-2012, 08:05 PM)zergling50 Wrote: So im guessing just renaming the files wont work? I opened up the DAE file in programmers notepad (equivalient to notepad ++) and it contains a lot of data. I dont want to screw around with it without guidance for fear of breaking something. What exactly in it needs to change? Where are the references that I need to divert to my new texture. Also, though, should I rename them all?

library_images::image::init_from

07-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Website Find
zergling50 Offline

(07-20-2012, 09:07 PM)Your Computer Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 08:05 PM)zergling50 Wrote: So im guessing just renaming the files wont work? I opened up the DAE file in programmers notepad (equivalient to notepad ++) and it contains a lot of data. I dont want to screw around with it without guidance for fear of breaking something. What exactly in it needs to change? Where are the references that I need to divert to my new texture. Also, though, should I rename them all?

library_images::image::init_from

<library_images>
<image id="servantgrunt_dds" name="servantgrunt_dds"> <init_from>file:///E:/Frictional_2/animations/mutant_Project/servant_grunt.bmp</init_from>
This is what I found. I do not recognize this pathway at all, nor do I know where to find it. Also there is no .bmp in my enemy folder. Here is what my new enemy folder looks like.
enemy
-Doom
-animations
-Doom.dds
-Doom.ent
-servant_grunt.dae
-servant_grunt.ent
-servant_grunt.mat
-servant_grunt.msh
-servant_grunt_hair.dds
-servant_grunt_hair.mat
-servant_grunt_hair_nrm.dds
-servant_grunt_hair_spec.dds
-servant_grunt_nrm.dds
-servant_grunt_spec.dds
-servant_brute
-servant_grunt
This is a little confusing, and I dont expect to fully understand all of it at the moment. I really want this or this one project as it really compliments the story and adds more depth to the game. If you guys could word your answers in a straightforward yet simplified way that would be great. Anyways I appreciate that you guys are trying to help, and once my game is done im going to make sure to include all of you guys who have helped me in any of my threads in the credits. Once again thanks! And sorry if i say anything stupid or dont make a connection you expect me to make, because as I said earlier this is a little confusing (not overly as I thankfully have some programming background).
07-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Now you're digging way too deep into it. That bmp thing is not relevant.
07-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Find