Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Question About Stories.
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
Question  A Question About Stories.

Warning: this thread contains rage. If you don't like reading rage, you do not have to read rage. Kapesh?

Why do people resort to the scares commonly known as Flying Jesus and Teleporting Naked Guy? If you want to scare somebody, you don't use cheap jumpscares. Amnesia didn't do this; it used psychological scares. You expected something to jump out, but it never happened. Can somebody please answer this?

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
07-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: A Question About Stories.

The original inventor made 1 of these scares. Pewdiepie played the map. These events occurred roughly around the time PDP started doing the Amnesia mod vids on the YouTube™. This led a vast majority of his fan base to start making maps with these sorts of "scares", along with all of PDP's other self-made (for lack of a better word) "memes".

And that, dear friend, is why Amnesia mods became what they are today.

I rate it 3 memes.
07-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

(07-24-2012, 07:48 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: The original inventor made 1 of these scares. Pewdiepie played the map. These events occurred roughly around the time PDP started doing the Amnesia mod vids on the YouTube™. This led a vast majority of his fan base to start making maps with these sorts of "scares", along with all of PDP's other self-made (for lack of a better word) "memes".

And that, dear friend, is why Amnesia mods became what they are today.
What bothers me is that the original Amnesia didn't scare me all that much (read: hasn't scared me yet), the cheap scares like these do. You walk down a hall and suddenly a naked corpse comes flying straight at you. It's like Nightmare House 2. Full of jumpscares.

I could say so many negative things about PewDiePie's fans, but I don't want to have to dunk my computer monitor in a pool, if you know what I mean.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2012, 07:54 AM by Zaffre.)
07-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: What bothers me is that the original Amnesia didn't scare me all that
much (read: hasn't scared me yet), the cheap scares like these do.
Yeah, unfortunately jumpscares are pretty effective for me too. Which doesn't mean I like them. They create an entirely different kind of fear, one that has no emotional impact whatsoever and which just feels very shallow compared to deeper, psychological horror.

I mean, playing a game with many jumpscares is like playing any other game with a modified mouse that gives your hand electric shocks at irregular intervals. Sure, you get somewhat tense in anticipation of the next shock, but its not real fear you feel. The shocks are just unpleasant and annoying as hell.
07-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Find