Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mapper looking for a team
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
RE: Mapper looking for a team

Quote:makes all the art assets

Where do I say this? Wouldn't I be removing two a few roles from a development team then? Skinner, modeller...

Maybe I didn't explain correctly, but the creation of game scenery refers only to the planning, mastering and composition of a game level, level gameplay and interactions. In what relates to composition it gives him the role of asset creator, but just as an engineer projects a tool, he projects the assets.(I'm not mentioning at any point concept art). I hope you understand now what I mean since I was not clear in my first post.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2012, 03:38 AM by nemesis567.)
07-20-2012, 03:35 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(07-20-2012, 03:35 AM)nemesis567 Wrote:

Where do I say this? Wouldn't I be removing two a few roles from a development team then? Skinner, modeller...

Maybe I didn't explain correctly, but the creation of game scenery refers only to the planning, mastering and composition of a game level, level gameplay and interactions. In what relates to composition it gives him the role of asset creator, but just as an engineer projects a tool, he projects the assets.(I'm not mentioning at any point concept art). I hope you understand now what I mean since I was not clear in my first post.
Ah, well that makes more sense. If you go by that definition then yeah I would say there are very few good mappers, but the reason I made my original post is because the majority of people (on this forum at least) that do call themselves mappers just place entities in the leveleditor and because of that that's what a lot of people on this forum define a mapper as, so therefore saying that you're a mapper wouldn't get too much attention.

Posting Freak
07-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Website Find
Jozef Offline

Threads: 2

(07-19-2012, 09:51 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: A mapper though is not a person who puts a bunch of models together as most people seem to define it has, but a person who creates the game scenery as whole.
How would you define my role then?
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2012, 09:13 AM by Jozef.)
07-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

(07-20-2012, 04:32 AM)Kman Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 03:35 AM)nemesis567 Wrote:

Ah, well that makes more sense. If you go by that definition then yeah I would say there are very few good mappers, but the reason I made my original post is because the majority of people (on this forum at least) that do call themselves mappers just place entities in the leveleditor and because of that that's what a lot of people on this forum define a mapper as, so therefore saying that you're a mapper wouldn't get too much attention.
True. But a modeller in this game also does the work of a skinner. There is just not enough experience nor experienced team leaders to arrange such capable teams. Of course using a "different version" of these roles might work, but the distribution of work becomes less efficient, thus creating results of lesser interest (Can be gorgeous results though).

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
07-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I do have to ask sir, what on earth is a ''skinner'' ?

Digital artists are not hunters, I've never skinned an animal in my entire life.
07-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(07-20-2012, 06:26 PM)Traggey Wrote: I do have to ask sir, what on earth is a ''skinner'' ?

Digital artists are not hunters, I've never skinned an animal in my entire life.
Except for that little cute rabbit on your livestream.. Other than that my guess would be texturing=skinning.

As for assembling "serious teams" for amnesia editing (I'd say serious were teams which did work on par with teams for other engines) I don't see that happening, sadly.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

07-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Texturing has never been called skinning though, and you don't have specific people for creating textures, the modelers do this. The only ''skinning'' I've ever heard of is part of rigging a model to a skeleton. Which would be an animators or the modelers job.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2012, 07:14 PM by Traggey.)
07-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Find
Jozef Offline

Threads: 2

Guys... Cool discussion and all, but can you create a new threat if you have more to say? It's getting a bit off topic, if you don't even answer my questions.

Made a video of some work I'we done. Right now it's quite weird, youtube tried to stabilize the video, should be fixed soon. It's in the first post.
07-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

A skinner(not sure if it's the right word for it) creates textures for the models and wraps them on them. (It comes from creating human's "skin"). The right term would be other though. But that's not the point. In your case traggey, you're an all in one pack. Tongue

I can't find your video...

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2012, 01:05 AM by nemesis567.)
07-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

(07-21-2012, 01:05 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: A skinner(not sure if it's the right word for it) creates textures for the models and wraps them on them. (It comes from creating human's "skin"). The right term would be other though. But that's not the point. In your case traggey, you're an all in one pack. Tongue

I can't find your video...
Ah, you're refering to a texture artist, not a skinner.
Making textures is part of being a modeler, you can't call yourself a modeler without being able to create textures for them.

But yeah, off topic. I'll avoid this conversation now.
07-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Find