Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thief Gold
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Thief Gold

(08-09-2012, 07:27 PM)the dark side Wrote:
Spoiler below!

i am just going on the absolute Cod cloned mess that they defacated onto the Deus Ex name, and the equally cod cloned pile of rubbish they are now going to mess Hitman up with. I have no faith in Square-Enix's ability to produce a decent game anymore, Even final fantasy Stinks compared to its past glory now, ill put some faith into them when they proove to me without doubt they can still make good games that are worth my money, until then, ill lump them in with activision and EA as casual gaming focussed inepts who will not survive the inevitable games crash. You are only as Good as your last Game.

i dont hate "consoles" per se, ive got a few (NES, SNES, Master System II, Megadrive, 3dO, PS1, PS2, PS3, N64, Saturn, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Gameboy colour, Gameboy Advanced, 3DS, Xbox, and Xbox360), i just hate dumbed down stupid over easy games, no mater what system they are on.

basically, i run a system of "Let me learn! dont hold my hand!", controll hints are not usefull, they are patronising and annoying and unessesary. as far as i am concerned if all you want is an easy ride, then you should just watch a movie! kindly stop ruining gaming! as far as i am concerned the controlls should be shown ONCE! in the optional tutorial level (as was done with half life), and thats it. i dont see what is so downright "difficult" about pressing "Pause" and then looking the controlls up in the manual, or looking at the controll quick reference sheet packaged with the game if you forget the controlls.

sorry, controll hints are just pathetic and patronising, and Unnessesary. i wouldnt be so mad if they were not mandatory, i cant see why the industry cant just spend 5 minuites programming the option to turn the hints OFF so those of us who find them downright patronising dont have to put up with them!

i mean, how hard is it to remember, once you have been shown that, say, pressing triangle next to a door makes your charachter kick it clean off its hinges, really? do you really need to be shown "press triangle to kick the door open" at every single kickable door? surely just having the narattor say "you can kick doors down for a fast entry" in the tutorial and the game putting up a black box that says "to kick open doors, press Triangle". then for the rest of the game, just have a boot icon flash on screen RTCW style when you come to a door you can kick off its hinges. and if you forget the controlls you can always press pause and enter "controlls" to look (i beleive games should have custom controll options again!) or open the manual or look at the "quick reference" sheet providedf with PC games. its far less patronising, but the boot icon still tells you "you can kick this door down" without treating the player like they are an amoeba.

look, ive got learning difficulties, so if anyone should be unable to remember the controlls from door a to door b, its me, but i can remember the controlls, because i read the manual, it is why i feel patronised, i dont need to be shown the controll every single door, i can remember it from the first door, all i need is a "boot" icon to show me i can kick the door off its hinges! i dont like being treated like an amoeba, and i cannot see how you, "normal" people, can tolerate it, i really cant.

sure, hints are fine, often they are nessesary, i just dont see why it has to be "press triangle to open the door", when a "boot" icon will do just as well to show i can boot open the door, because i know its triangle from the tutorial!

Holy hell, I don't even know how many times I've read your posts on all this "cod clone" nonsense, you practically bring it up in every single one. You always bring up this 'inevitable games crash', what the hell do you even mean by that? Also, I haven't experienced a game in which I felt 'patronized' due to the game withholding me some frustration by entering the controls in a hint in the game. I appreciate that, because if there's anything I hate it's having to look up the god damn controls for every single game. I would much rather be playing the game than wasting my damn time with a manual. This is off-topic, but you also just basically repeated what you said in your third paragraph in your fifth, (and it just seems like unnecessary butthurt complaining the second time because you already stated your point). But yeah, I have never had the experience of feeling patronized by control hints in the game and I can't really relate with what you are saying.

I am also not sure anymore how this topic of 'control hints are useless' even came up anymore. But I created this thread to talk about Thief, not this, this isn't even related..

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2012, 10:33 PM by Damascus Rose.)
08-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(08-09-2012, 10:27 PM)the dark side Wrote: let me see. Regenerating health? Check, Aim Down Sites? Check, Quick Time Event? Check, Controll hints? Check. 2 gun Limit? Check, Dynamic Scaling crosshairs? Check, "bloody screen" effect? Check, Waypoints? check, Corridor levels? Check. exactly the same gameplay as Call of Duty. its why i say bulletstorm is a call of duty clone, because it plays like call of duty.
Like I said, I haven't played the game yet so I don't know how much of your description is accurate, though I know regenerative health is in. However from what I hear Human Revolution doesn't have corridor levels, most of them are quite open with many different approaches available. Or so I've heard at least.

What exactly is an "aim down site"?

(08-09-2012, 10:27 PM)the dark side Wrote: Deus Ex 1 is the best however, its nearly was good as half Life! and that is praise indeed, second best game ever made? id say so!
Personally I think Deus Ex is better than Half-Life, maybe that's just me.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2012, 10:40 PM by spukrian.)
08-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

EDIT: Damascus Rose is right, this is all way off topic. Create a Deus Ex thread if you guys want to talk about it, I have a lot to say personally.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 12:37 AM by Bridge.)
08-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

I'll just do that!

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
08-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

indeed, sorry Damascus Rose, i Do tend to get Carried away. i just have the horrible feeling that Theif 4 is going to be an absolute insult to the "Theif" name as my recent experience with square enix has been less than satisfactory. i can only hope that im dead wrong. personally however, i think they should have ended the franchise after Theif 2 personally, that game was Astoundingly good! number 3 wasnt even a patch on it.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 07:03 PM by the dark side.)
08-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

I liked Thief Dark Shadows. Not as good as it's predecessors, but I quite enjoyed the game for what it was. I liked the addition of the city levels.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
08-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

I found Thief 3 to be the best one, I couldn't even finish thief gold because of the combination of the shitty graphics, combat, and AI and being able to just jump around like an idiot through the entire levels and beat them. Thief 3 felt like I actually had to stick to the shadows and play like a thief.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
08-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

Each to there own, Said the Girl as she Kissed her Cow.

i will agree theif one had pretty dodgy AI, and was a bit more "Serious Sam" (and not in a good way) than "Serious Stealth" thanks to all that jumping around. i found the combat to be really meaty and satisfying actually, my love of a challenge speaking there, but i can see why it would wind some people up, it was rather biased in the enemies favour. the graphics dont bother me, i could see what i was doing, and well, i have seen worse from Younger! "AAA" games.

well, it was early days, you cant expect the first game to be a masterpiece, yes, sometimes it happens, but very rarely. for me, Theif 3 is a good game, its just no where Near As good as Theif 2 In my own opinion. for me, personally, the Theif Series, from best to worst is, Theif 2: Machine Age, Theif: Gold, and Theif 3: Dark Shadows. Each to own.

PS. if its any consolation, i have Never Finished the original "Hitman"... for pretty similar reasons as to why you've never finished theif gold.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 07:54 PM by the dark side.)
08-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Ha, so I'm not the only one who never finished Hitman! ^^ Seriously, when I got to the level with the Cocaine dude, I just gave up. It took me about half an hour to even get near him and every time I screwed up just a little bit I got killed and had to start the whole level from the beginning. I like a challenge, but it felt as if the game was just wasting my time there.

Anyway, back to topic. I like Thief 3 and Thief 2 about equally well only for different reasons. Thief 3 really wins in terms of atmosphere and I found the stealth to be easier in third person because you can look around corners etc. It also gets a big bonus point just for the Cradle level. Holy shit...that level...
Thief 2 has a more interesting story though and like I said the non linear level design is more fun to explore. It's also a bit more creative, what with the robots and all.
The first Thief was good and innovative for the time but it feels pretty un-polished compared to Thief 2. Some levels felt as if the leveldesigner didn't quite know yet what to do with that new stealth mechanic...(if that makes sense) It gets a bonus point for the freaky Constantine mansion level though.
08-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

I loved the Thief series. I recently replayed the first two, and the first is really quite clunky. I also found out why I never beat them as a kid. The zombies and stuff in the first one terrified me, as did those blasted(But awesome) robots in the second. Good games, good games. Nice and nostalgic.

08-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Find