Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thief Gold
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
Thief Gold

So I saw this game on steam (75%) and got it because I've hear it's an incredible series, and has some scary atmospheric levels. But so far the game has been incredibly hard to play due to the shitty combat, controls, AI, and having to restart the whole level when I die. It gets really frustrating after a while and I have to stop, but I really want to play it to see the story and get to Deadly Shadows.

So my question for you guys is, do you have any tips on how to get past the frustrating-ness of it all? Does it get better? Is there anything I can do to make this game less frustrating?

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
07-23-2012, 04:57 AM
Find
Oswald Mandus Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Thief Gold

if you just want to play the Cradle level use this http://www.fileplanet.com/169722/160000/...-Savegames
and it isnt worth playing if you feel frustrated. just play this level, its really scary
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM by Oswald Mandus.)
07-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(07-23-2012, 04:57 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: But so far the game has been incredibly hard to play due to the shitty combat, controls, AI, and having to restart the whole level when I die.
Hmm... you don't have to restart the entire level when you die. You can save the game whenever you want.

The combat is shitty because, just like in Penumbra Overture, you're supposed to avoid it at all costs.

If you have trouble with the controls, you can always change them in the config. I also suggest that you play the tutorial and pay attention to what is said during it.

(07-23-2012, 04:57 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: So my question for you guys is, do you have any tips on how to get past the frustrating-ness of it all? Does it get better? Is there anything I can do to make this game less frustrating?
I think you should try sneaking around a bit more. And if you find the game difficult, don't play on Hard or Expert. The game does have a steep learning curve.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
07-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

1. It's a 14 year old stealth game, deal with it yo.
2. Quicksave, learn how to use it.
3. Don't let the awkward controls or inconsistent pacing get to you. The sequels are definitely worth it. Especially Thief II - wins my Best Game Ever award.

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
07-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(07-23-2012, 03:25 PM)Xanatos Wrote: 1. It's a 14 year old stealth game, deal with it yo.
3. Don't let the awkward controls or inconsistent pacing get to you. The sequels are definitely worth it. Especially Thief II - wins my Best Game Ever award.
1. Age has nothing to do with it, it is still by far the greatest stealth game ever made.
2. Never played Thief: Gold (that's what I'm going to play next time I replay it though) but I don't think it has quicksave. Does it have the Alt+S & Alt+D system from Thief II?
3. I think the first two games have impeccable pacing (though I've heard that the added levels in Thief: Gold ruin the pacing and I've never played those).

BTW, I recommend sticking to it. The story is excellent and it has some of the best level and sound design ever. The controls will also start to feel natural in no time, although I used custom binds. But if you just don't enjoy it at all then there's no sense in forcing it.

(07-23-2012, 03:25 PM)Xanatos Wrote: 1. It's a 14 year old stealth game, deal with it yo.
1. Age has nothing to do with it, it is still by far the greatest stealth game ever made.
2. Never played Thief: Gold (that's what I'm going to play next time I replay it though) but I don't think it has quicksave. Does it have the Alt+S & Alt+D system from Thief II?
3. I think the first two games have impeccable pacing (though I've heard that the added levels in Thief: Gold ruin the pacing and I've never played those).

BTW, I recommend sticking to it. The story is excellent and it has some of the best level and sound design ever. The controls will also start to feel natural in no time, although I used custom binds. But if you just don't enjoy it at all then there's no sense in forcing it.

EDIT: Also, I seriously don't recommend playing the first two if you just want to play Thief 3. That's the first Thief game I played all the way through and I enjoyed it a lot even with limited knowledge of the first two. But now after getting so used to the Dark engine, which in my opinion is one of the greatest FPS engines ever, I really can't get into Thief 3 again. You don't really need any prior knowledge to play Thief 3 but if you really dig the mythos and the story arc then you should play them in consecutive order. Be warned though that Thief 3 has worse controls than the first two so if you really don't like the controls in TG then you will probably hate Thief 3's controls.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2012, 04:05 PM by Bridge.)
07-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Alright, so I changed the controls up and they feel a lot better now, and it doesn't look as if there is quicksaving so constantly having to go into the menu and save is going to be a pain, but worth it. Yes, I was enjoying the game but I was having a hard time playing it because of what I mentioned in the OP, and I was looking for ways to get past that. I'm going to stick with it and get the rest of the Thief games because you guys have such a high reputation for it. I think I'll try Thief 3 now just to see how it feels, but I would prefer to play the story through from the beginning and also see how the game evolves.

Anyway, what do you guys know about Thief 4, or 'Thi4f'?

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2012, 04:37 PM by Damascus Rose.)
07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

(07-23-2012, 11:32 AM)wtfomg Wrote: if you just want to play the Cradle level use this http://www.fileplanet.com/169722/160000/...-Savegames
I immediately thought of Goldeneye 007 for N64 :p

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
07-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(07-23-2012, 04:36 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Alright, so I changed the controls up and they feel a lot better now, and it doesn't look as if there is quicksaving so constantly having to go into the menu and save is going to be a pain, but worth it. Yes, I was enjoying the game but I was having a hard time playing it because of what I mentioned in the OP, and I was looking for ways to get past that. I'm going to stick with it and get the rest of the Thief games because you guys have such a high reputation for it. I think I'll try Thief 3 now just to see how it feels, but I would prefer to play the story through from the beginning and also see how the game evolves.

Anyway, what do you guys know about Thief 4, or 'Thi4f'?
Nothing. Eidos hasn't released anything apart from an annoyingly vague teaser. But I am super excited for it as they have hinted that they want to have a more open world (Like Thief: Deadly Shadows only not tiny and full of annoying loading screens). But it's impossible to say at the moment because there isn't any info.
07-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(07-23-2012, 04:01 PM)Bridge Wrote: 3. I think the first two games have impeccable pacing (though I've heard that the added levels in Thief: Gold ruin the pacing and I've never played those).
Thief Gold adds three levels early in the game. They are great levels and fun to play through, but it does get quite jarring since they're very large, much larger than the levels they were inserted between. In fact, they are probably the largest levels in the game.

In addition to this there is a large easter egg area added to one of the regular missions. I don't really like it.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
07-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(07-23-2012, 04:55 PM)spukrian Wrote:
(07-23-2012, 04:01 PM)Bridge Wrote: 3. I think the first two games have impeccable pacing (though I've heard that the added levels in Thief: Gold ruin the pacing and I've never played those).
Thief Gold adds three levels early in the game. They are great levels and fun to play through, but it does get quite jarring since they're very large, much larger than the levels they were inserted between. In fact, they are probably the largest levels in the game.

In addition to this there is a large easter egg area added to one of the regular missions. I don't really like it.
The way I understand it is that two of the levels added are just padding essentially. So instead of spreading the talismans over two levels they spread them over four. Personally I don't see a need for it and I found the way it was paced in TDP to be excellent. Just gonna have to play Gold to see I guess.
07-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Find