Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help for modeling a monster
perry0485 Offline

Threads: 1
Information  I need help for modeling a monster

Hello,
can someone of give me tips, on how I can model this monster (attachement). Which Programs do I need? I have 3ds Max, ZBrush, Maya, Amnesia Model Editor. How can you texture this? Is there a template for something like this? If it's too hard, can somone help me modelling, texturing and animating this? I can pay with Paysafe. Thanks.

Attachement Credits to ~CaptainJonnypants
http://captainjonnypants.deviantart.com/

Attached Files
.jpg   custom_amnesia_monster_no_3_by_captainjonnypants-d3ll2o8.jpg (Size: 192.63 KB / Downloads: 150)
.png   the___fury___concept_image_by_captainjonnypants-d52pnl2.png (Size: 226.32 KB / Downloads: 182)
07-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: I need help for modeling a monster

You own all 3 of those? o.O

I can't see anything for texturing, but for modeling... You could start out with the head, then working yourself down to the feet. Just to get rough dimensions, then you can start again at the head and start putting in more details, working your way down to the feet. Repeat the process a couple of times before your satisfied, then you can go into some high resolution sculpting and stuff.
07-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

...I'm just going to assume you're using the legal free student versions of 3ds max and maya and have purchased ZBrush as there are no free student versions available for that program. Wink

Now what exactly is your problem? If you don't know how the programs work, I don't think anyone will be able to teach you through forum posts, as they are very, very complex tools. You should probably just search for tutorials and work your way from beginner tuts to more advanced ones until you know enough to model such a model.

If its just a workflow thing, I would first search for human references to ensure that I get the anatomy right. There are a lot of good references in the web, just search for a male model that has roughly the proportions you need. This model will be modeled in 3ds max or maya and have a neutral V-pose (I mean a T-pose with more relaxed arms, better for skinning later Wink ) It will serve as a base mesh for sculpting. I would then achieve the bend over pose in Mudbox (Or Z-Brush in your case) using the posing tools there.
Then come the metal parts (modeled in max or maya too), and next step would be sculpting the wounds, muscle details, maybe some part of the rusted metal, until I have a highpoly I'm satisfied with.

I would also use the paint texture tools in mudbox (I think Z-Brush has something similar, although it's only vertex color i think) to create a basic (and most importantly - seamless!) texture. If I have a mudbox version available that allows for a P-tex setup I'll use that, If I don't, my highpoly will need to have UV coordinates (created BEFORE exporting the basemeshes to Mudbox of course Wink )

Now I'd create a lowpoly, probably by exporting the lowest subdivision level of my mudbox file and changing/ optimizing it until it has a reasonable polycount and a topology that allows for good deformation. This will then also get a proper UV unwrap, with optimized usage of the UV space (mirrored /overlapping uvs, more space for important areas like the face etc.).

After this is done, I'll use my highpoly to bake a normal map, an ambient occlusion map and my base texture onto my lowpoly. Depending on polycount this can be done in 3ds max, maya or in a seperate tool like X Normal. Baking a normal map in Mudbox is possible, but not recommended as you need smoothing groups to achieve the best result, which mudbox doesn't support. (if using P-Tex, the base texture will have to be baked there, though)

Theeeen, if everything baked properly (which it never does on first try -.-), I'd open photoshop and refine my diffuse texture (colors), create a specular and, if needed, gloss map and maybe use a plugin like nDo or the Nvidia normal map plugin to add some more little details to the normal map I didn't feel like sculpting or forgot. The baked ambient occlusion is simply multiplied over the colors as a layer in photoshop.

Sooo...after giving you a short overview over this, quite frankly, nightmarishly long process, what exactly would you like to know in detail? Smile
07-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Find
perry0485 Offline

Threads: 1

Thanks for all answers, I'll try to do this after a looooong time of training and trying.
07-28-2012, 03:51 AM
Find
xResorx Offline

Threads: 2

That looks remotely similar to a Chaos Heretic from the dawn of War series xD
07-29-2012, 04:43 AM
Find
devin413 Offline

Threads: 7

here i tryed to make him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02subqKJYrA&feature=plcp
hope you like it.
he looks more modern now but i still can change it maybe.

Boris Game Studios: Devin413 Moddels Maps Scripts.
Tenebris Lake
Killings In Altstadt

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2012, 07:48 PM by devin413.)
08-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Find