Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Oculus Rift Support
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Oculus Rift Support

Nothing was mentioned about the rift not becoming known, it was already known at the time.

I still however highly doubt that the rift will be a standard piece of equipment in gaming, whilst it is impressive I just don't believe the price will be anywhere near a reasonable ammount for everyone to own this thing.
04-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Find
spire8989 Offline

Threads: 0

(04-27-2013, 12:49 AM)Traggey Wrote: Nothing was mentioned about the rift not becoming known, it was already known at the time.

I still however highly doubt that the rift will be a standard piece of equipment in gaming, whilst it is impressive I just don't believe the price will be anywhere near a reasonable ammount for everyone to own this thing.
Sounds like you're trying to cover your butt because you're on the first page saying that not enough people were going to own it. Considering almost 20,000 people have ordered the devkit, I think it's clear you're wrong.

The consumer version will almost definitely cost the same as the devkit at $300, maybe it would spike up to $400, but not more. To say that people won't buy that is just ridiculous, people already pay $200 for monitors.

The Rift is going to be huge, but honestly I don't care if it gets integrated into Amnesia. Game scares me plenty in 2d Wink

Plenty of other games will take advantage of it and reap the rewards.
04-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(04-27-2013, 01:02 AM)spire8989 Wrote:
(04-27-2013, 12:49 AM)Traggey Wrote: Nothing was mentioned about the rift not becoming known, it was already known at the time.

Sounds like you're trying to cover your butt because you're on the first page saying that not enough people were going to own it. Considering almost 20,000 people have ordered the devkit, I think it's clear you're wrong.

The consumer version will almost definitely cost the same as the devkit at $300, maybe it would spike up to $400, but not more. To say that people won't buy that is just ridiculous, people already pay $200 for monitors.

The Rift is going to be huge, but honestly I don't care if it gets integrated into Amnesia. Game scares me plenty in 2d Wink

Plenty of other games will take advantage of it and reap the rewards.

AMFP is ready for release and will be out any second now, the rift has a LONG way to go.

Implementing support for it already would only slow down the development for something that won't be avaible for us for quite some time yet.

I'm not trying to cover anything, I stand by what I said.
04-27-2013, 02:38 AM
Find
Argoon Offline

Threads: 5

The implementation is a one or two day thing, for example i have seen people implementing the Oculus SDK only in a couple of hours (the 3D support at lest), it just controls the camera. But if you want to make a game around the Oculus hardware that is a different story.

If Frictional Games wanted they could do it, the problem is that they don't have a developer kit (nor the desire to get one) and because of all the success of this hardware the new orders are taking a very long time to arrive so it could be months before FG get's their kit (could be less if they make some kind of deal with the oculus guys). There's also the problem of "you only know what it is when you experience it" so if you come with the idea that this is just like the 3D Cinema then you don't have the desire to get it. But let me tell you this tech is nothing like you have seen, it is completely different to the 3D cinema, on it the 3D effect is just like it is on real life (theres no ghosting or blurring like on the 3D trick used by Cinema 3D), theres a real sense of scale in the virtual world, totally different to what you experience on you monitor, and i can go on and on, but has always you will only know what it truly is when you experience it for real.
05-25-2013, 03:27 AM
Find
GrixM Offline

Threads: 2

(05-25-2013, 03:27 AM)Argoon Wrote: The implementation is a one or two day thing, for example i have seen people implementing the Oculus SDK only in a couple of hours (the 3D support at lest), it just controls the camera. But if you want to make a game around the Oculus hardware that is a different story.

If Frictional Games wanted they could do it, the problem is that they don't have a developer kit (nor the desire to get one) and because of all the success of this hardware the new orders are taking a very long time to arrive so it could be months before FG get's their kit (could be less if they make some kind of deal with the oculus guys). There's also the problem of "you only know what it is when you experience it" so if you come with the idea that this is just like the 3D Cinema then you don't have the desire to get it. But let me tell you this tech is nothing like you have seen, it is completely different to the 3D cinema, on it the 3D effect is just like it is on real life (theres no ghosting or blurring like on the 3D trick used by Cinema 3D), theres a real sense of scale in the virtual world, totally different to what you experience on you monitor, and i can go on and on, but has always you will only know what it truly is when you experience it for real.

They could get it immediately if they had the money, buying from ebay or something.

What I want to know is: Have anyone from FG ctually tried the rift yet? If not, they should at least get a demo from someone living nearby: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216...346.289063
I'm sure they'd be sold instantly. The only kind of info I could find was this, from Dan of TCR: http://gamingbolt.com/oculus-rift-should...e-for-pigs
And that article shows a bit of ignorance, really, where he compares the rift to regular 3D movies, saying he often gets headaches and such from them. Such a comparison is of course ridiculous which he would have known if he had tried it. In a good implementation the vision is as natural as when not wearing anything at all.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2013, 03:38 PM by GrixM.)
05-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

No Oculus Rift support for ATDD and (possibly)AAMFP. Confirmed by Thomas in Twitter.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Find
GrixM Offline

That is terrible news.. Sad
05-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

The two following tweets:
https://twitter.com/ThomasGrip/status/33...7305942017

https://twitter.com/ThomasGrip/status/33...8494189569

Apparently they are currently working on it for (possibly?) AMFP ~

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2013, 09:34 PM by Acies.)
05-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

I think the second tweet is referring to their new Super Secret Project, and the first seems to be an idea he has for demo purposes at a booth in a conference or something.
05-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Find
GrixM Offline

At least I guess this proves my point:

Quote: Have anyone from FG ctually tried the rift yet? [..] I'm sure they'd be sold instantly.

Very excited to see what that little project of his is Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 02:45 PM by GrixM.)
05-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Find