Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Oculus Rift Support
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
RE: Oculus Rift Support

Merged all Oculus topics into this one.
08-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Find
cdoublejj Offline

Threads: 2

(08-02-2012, 01:04 AM)palistov Wrote: Amnesia is the type of game that doesn't need expensive peripherals like that to provide an immersive experience.

Also, the fact that you made your account today and have a single post (not to mention in a completely random forum) makes me think you're just a shameless throwaway trying to advertise that product. Sure VR is an interesting idea and I don't doubt that it's as good as they say, but perhaps you should spend time doing it yourself instead of advertising it and hoping others will pick up the ball for you.

no it doesn't NEED it but, it would be really really damn cool and even more scary.

i'be been watching developers od other games and emulators from what i understand it doesn't require a whole lot to implement it.

Dolphin emulator is already implementing it because apparently it works well for some Game Cube games. I also don't remember any one at OMW project saying Rift support would be very hard. both projects use open GL like Firctionals games.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2013, 02:36 AM by cdoublejj.)
08-04-2013, 02:33 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(08-04-2013, 02:33 AM)cdoublejj Wrote:
(08-02-2012, 01:04 AM)palistov Wrote: Amnesia is the type of game that doesn't need expensive peripherals like that to provide an immersive experience.

Also, the fact that you made your account today and have a single post (not to mention in a completely random forum) makes me think you're just a shameless throwaway trying to advertise that product. Sure VR is an interesting idea and I don't doubt that it's as good as they say, but perhaps you should spend time doing it yourself instead of advertising it and hoping others will pick up the ball for you.

no it doesn't NEED it but, it would be really really damn cool and even more scary.

i'be been watching developers od other games and emulators from what i understand it doesn't require a whole lot to implement it.

Dolphin emulator is already implementing it because apparently it works well for some Game Cube games. I also don't remember any one at OMW project saying Rift support would be very hard. both projects use open GL like Firctionals games.

The engine doesn't support it. It's not like a little plug in then it'll work, no, you have to recode the entire engine.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
08-04-2013, 02:44 AM
Find
cdoublejj Offline

(08-04-2013, 02:44 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(08-04-2013, 02:33 AM)cdoublejj Wrote:

The engine doesn't support it. It's not like a little plug in then it'll work, no, you have to recode the entire engine.

Did the developers state this? Do you at least have some. some what detailed info to support this claim? Because I otherwise i have call shenanigans.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2013, 08:31 PM by cdoublejj.)
08-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(08-05-2013, 08:26 PM)cdoublejj Wrote: Did the developers state this? Because I call shenanigans.

No, but the engine is not supported for it yet. We do not know for HPL3 for Frictional's upcoming secret project, but for TDD and AMFP, it's not possible to use without rewriting the engine some, and they don't plan to. If you're hoping for it to be on AMFP, don't even hope for it. We'll have to see what FG decides to do in regards to their upcoming project to be announced. Though I'm not sure if they like the idea of it, according to one of Thomas's tweets awhile back. He seemed unsure of it.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2013, 08:34 PM by Statyk.)
08-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Find
cdoublejj Offline

is it because the version of open gl is too old? there is technical reason some where.
08-10-2013, 03:11 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(08-10-2013, 03:11 AM)cdoublejj Wrote: is it because the version of open gl is too old? there is technical reason some where.

No, the engine doesn't support it like Statyk said. OR moves around with your head because of a detecting processor or something. Since the HPL Engine doesn't have this, you have to recode everything to make sure it goes smoothly with the OR.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
08-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Find
nawoa Offline

Threads: 0

Not building Oculus support into this game would be a huge missed opportunity. Someone said the devs aren't comfortable with the idea or something, I don't know, don't really care. It's true there's only a devkit out right now and it's not great-quality yet. There's significant screen-door effect still because the screen res is so low. There's other deficiencies too, like the inability to sense motions like "looking closer". It's not a perfect system yet.

Even so, it's on the way to being a perfect system. The developers are surely in panic mode by now like always happens with games, and I'm sure they don't want to embark on a huge project like recoding part of the engine at this point. But they should at least commit to investigating it as a post-release patch. It's a no-brainer: survival horror + immersive VR = orgy of terror. Terrorgy, perfect. Devs, that'll cost you a nickel every time you use it.

Anyway, failing to see the value of Oculus Rift in the context of A Machine For Pigs is crazy. Every single person to ever try Oculus Rift has been blown away. This isn't a passing fad like those shitty TVs they have now, it's a much better system. Absolutely everyone I know who's aware of both Oculus Rift and Amnesia has mentioned to me on at least one occasion that they think the two were meant for each other.

Look, even if it's not possible to implement head tracking, whatever! Just get the 3D working at least. Hell, start a Kickstarter, let people vote with their wallet to demonstrate how much they want this.

Quote:Kickstarter to implement Oculus Rift support in A Machine For Pigs

Hello loyal Frictional Games fans! A lot of people have been asking about Oculus Rift support and here's the answer we've arrived at: a lot of work will need to be done and only for the sake of the small number of people who currently own Oculus Rift devices. By the time our next game arrives it might be technically feasible and economically viable to include Oculus Rift support from the beginning (assuming Oculus becomes at least a little mainstream), but for now it's too time-consuming for us to do for the sake of a very small minority of customers.

We'd love to add Oculus Rift support to the game for free, but we've already met our development budget for AMFP and can't set aside additional time for adding such a major new feature without having money in the bank to pay our programmers. One of our brilliant, highly attractive forum members suggested we try doing a Kickstarter to add this feature, so here we are.

Even if this Kickstarter doesn't succeed, we will still evaluate adding Oculus Rift support to our next game and if we're successful we might be able to back-port our changes to previous games, but this will probably be years in the future.

$10 Your name added to "special thanks" in credits plus early access to the Oculus Rift-enabled beta version as it progresses (requires separate purchase of A Machine For Pigs)

$20 All of the above, plus A Machine For Pigs poster

$30 All of the above, plus A Machine For Pigs poster and T-Shirt

$50 All of the above, plus Steam or GoG codes for all the games in Frictional Games' back catalog (no Oculus Rift support)

$70 All of the above, plus numbered limited-edition Amnesia: The Dark Descent poster (300 available)

$85 All of the above, plus a deluxe signed boxed copy of A Machine For Pigs (150 available)

$100 All of the above, plus the AMFP poster gets signed by a member of the dev team (50 available)

Risks: Chairs are often expensive and needing to replace them after every session of A Machine For Pigs may prove to be a prohibitive expense for many of our customers. We plan to mitigate this risk by shipping all our backers from the $20 tier and up a package of "plastic seat covers" (actually just off-brand garbage bags) as a courtesy.

We also anticipate a large number of lawsuits as people suffer catastrophic heart attacks while playing the game. As such, we will be putting aside 50% of our Kickstarter revenue for lawsuit insurance as well as moving our corporation "officially" to a PO box in the Cayman Islands.

Make it happen! Don't forget to bring water wings to swim in the ocean of cash.
08-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I don't think people are quite understanding the issue here...
08-18-2013, 03:04 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Yep, no one is understanding the issue here. Thank you Statyk.

Okay, let me re-clarify.

The Oculus Rift is NOT supported mainly because the HPL Engine does not support it. It's not like you just input a little program and it'll work no, but the whole engine have to re-written from scratch.

You can find explanations from posts above and the pages before. Like it or not, AAMFP WILL NOT have Oculus Rift.

But it's currently unknown for HPL3 so maybe HPL3 supports it. I dunno. Maybe it will or not.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
08-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Find