Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Oculus Rift Support
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9
RE: Oculus Rift Support

Dude, we are dealing with the future of gaming. I think it's worth discussing.
And if this gadget can make games even more immersing, I don't see any problems with it.
01-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Find
GrixM Offline

Threads: 2

(01-20-2013, 01:13 PM)MaZiCUT Wrote: Amnesia is scary and immersive enough alredy, don't see why this advertisement is needed here.

That's like someone from 1995 saying "Doom is immersive enough already, don't see why better graphics/resolution are needed". It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how this could increase the immersion of games like Amnesia tenfolds. In a few years you'll probably laugh at how you once thought gaming on a regular flat monitor was at all immersive. The reason for this "advertising" is that I would really want that to happen, simple as that. I get shivers just thinking about it.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2013, 10:58 PM by GrixM.)
02-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Find
sethdonut Offline

Threads: 0

Also just chiming in to show support. I haven't played Amnesia: The Dark Descent, or Penumbra, but for some reason I am irreversibly drawn to the idea of playing the sequel using this headset.

Weird, right? I don't get it either, but now I'm planning on doing a Let's Play of the game specifically with the Rift.

I've been eating up every morsel of information on A Machine for Pigs and the Oculus since the idea to do a Let's Play with both entered my mind. From everything I'm reading and watching, a patch for Rift support - either official or unofficial - seems like a foregone conclusion. It will happen if the demand is there, and it certainly appears that way.

Palmer Luckey (inventor of the Oculus Rift), when asked about which games he'd like to see in VR? "Amnesia."
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013, 02:37 AM by sethdonut.)
03-20-2013, 02:35 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(03-20-2013, 02:35 AM)sethdonut Wrote: Also just chiming in to show support. I haven't played Amnesia: The Dark Descent, or Penumbra, but for some reason I am irreversibly drawn to the idea of playing the sequel using this headset.

Weird, right? I don't get it either, but now I'm planning on doing a Let's Play of the game specifically with the Rift.

I've been eating up every morsel of information on A Machine for Pigs and the Oculus since the idea to do a Let's Play with both entered my mind. From everything I'm reading and watching, a patch for Rift support - either official or unofficial - seems like a foregone conclusion. It will happen if the demand is there, and it certainly appears that way.

Palmer Luckey (inventor of the Oculus Rift), when asked about which games he'd like to see in VR? "Amnesia."

Have fun capturing footage from the rift.
03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Find
sethdonut Offline

Threads: 0

(03-20-2013, 12:16 PM)Traggey Wrote: Have fun capturing footage from the rift.

Should be easy, no?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popul...113-de.jpg

The signal is like any game, so FRAPS or a similar capture program would work just fine. As for the warping, I'm positive I can mitigate that 99.9% in After Effects.
03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Find
GrixM Offline

I must say I'm a little disappointed after reading this article: http://gamingbolt.com/oculus-rift-should...e-for-pigs

To be honest it sounds like Dan Pinchbeck has no idea how the rift works. He compares it with a regular 3D movie, which is nothing like it. He says:
Quote: Maybe, but I’m really shortsighted and those kind of devices, like 3D, screw with my eyesight and give me headaches,
The oculus rift is not like watching a 3D movie. Your eyes behave and focus exactly like in real life, you will not get headaches like some people get with 3D movies. And if you are shortsighted, you could either use the lenses meant for short sighted people that are included with the rift, or you could even probably fit a pair of glasses under there.

But the most important misconception is that the 3D is not really that important. Even if the game is not displayed in 3D in the rift, it's still a whole other experience than a monitor, because of the field of view. The screen fills your entire vision, and wherever you turn your head, your character looks in game. That is what creates the extreme immersion. You feel like you are there, instead of just watching a screen.

He should at least have tried the rift before commenting on it.

One thing is for sure: If Amnesia does not implement rift support at one point, it will no longer be one of the scariest games out there. I think even a badly designed horror game in the rift would be scarier than an excellent horror game on a regular monitor.

EDIT:
So I just saw another article which is slightly conflicting with the first, I'm not quite sure anymore what Dan's views on VR and the rift really is: http://www.edge-online.com/features/ocul...reality/2/
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM by GrixM.)
03-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(03-21-2013, 12:28 PM)GrixM Wrote:
Spoiler below!

I must say I'm a little disappointed after reading this article: http://gamingbolt.com/oculus-rift-should...e-for-pigs

To be honest it sounds like Dan Pinchbeck has no idea how the rift works. He compares it with a regular 3D movie, which is nothing like it. He says:
Quote: Maybe, but I’m really shortsighted and those kind of devices, like 3D, screw with my eyesight and give me headaches,
The oculus rift is not like watching a 3D movie. Your eyes behave and focus exactly like in real life, you will not get headaches like some people get with 3D movies. And if you are shortsighted, you could either use the lenses meant for short sighted people that are included with the rift, or you could even probably fit a pair of glasses under there.

But the most important misconception is that the 3D is not really that important. Even if the game is not displayed in 3D in the rift, it's still a whole other experience than a monitor, because of the field of view. The screen fills your entire vision, and wherever you turn your head, your character looks in game. That is what creates the extreme immersion. You feel like you are there, instead of just watching a screen.

One thing is for sure: If Amnesia does not implement rift support at one point, it will no longer be one of the scariest games out there. I think even a badly designed horror game in the rift would be scarier than an excellent horror game on a regular monitor.

EDIT:
So I just saw another article which is slightly conflicting with the first, I'm not quite sure anymore what Dan's views on VR and the rift really is: http://www.edge-online.com/features/ocul...reality/2/

His point was that the Rift should not be a driving point for design, which is totally fair. He also adds the caveat at the end of the interview that in the future when things have moved on it will probably be great.
Thats a totally fair position to take. No one even has the early dev kit yet, so we can't make calls on how well it'll work, short-sighted or otherwise. Cautious optimism - designing a game around the use of the Rift now would be a huge risk, it is still possible for it to fail.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM by Adrianis.)
03-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(03-21-2013, 12:28 PM)GrixM Wrote: I must say I'm a little disappointed after reading this article: http://gamingbolt.com/oculus-rift-should...e-for-pigs

EDIT:

You sure people wont get headaches, or just feel a little bad with warnings like this?: http://kotaku.com/5991435/apparently-vir...ry-intense
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013, 06:13 PM by WALP.)
03-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

Great risks are what makes technology move forward, for without these risks, there would be no advancement. Fear of the unknown and of failing is what may stop such things, but one cannot let that happen.

Stating again, I was able to try the VR headset during Quakecon 2012. There is almost no chance that this piece of technology will fail. It can't. One must only experience it to realize that. While companies indeed must take a chance at it, it is likely that it will succeed. If John Carmack and the original Id team did not have the belief that they could make a game like Wolfenstein work, an FPS (basically a new concept), then gaming today would be quite different. They took that chance, and the rest of the world followed. It is that time again for another breakthrough. Once you step into the world of VR, there is no going back.

There are health risks for everything, no matter what man does. Yes, VR could cause headaches for some or motion sickness but that is only a select few. Compare it with those who choose not to ride rollar coasters because of the motion, or even the simple fact of car sickness for some people. Some cannot fly because of heights. Some cannot cave dive because of the fear of small spaces. These small risks are no different for the VR.

To note: Valve have released that Team Fortress 2 will be Rift supported as of next week. It only takes one company to start the trend and it is known that Gabe is a fan of the Oculos.

The time of change is upon us good community, embrace it.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013, 06:38 PM by J.R.S.S..)
03-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Website Find
GrixM Offline

(03-21-2013, 01:50 PM)Adrianis Wrote: No one even has the early dev kit yet, so we can't make calls on how well it'll work, short-sighted or otherwise. Cautious optimism - designing a game around the use of the Rift now would be a huge risk, it is still possible for it to fail.

People have received their dev kits including several famous developers such as Valve and notch, and some very early individual backers.
03-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Find