Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Oculus Rift Support
GrixM Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Oculus Rift Support

(08-06-2012, 03:57 PM)J.R.S.Storch Wrote: I just got back from Quakecon down in Dallas. There I listened to John Carmack talk about the rift and other great minds. From there I had a chance to even experience it myself. I will tell you now, I don't get amazed or interested easily. The rift is something we've never seen before. This isn't a big company trying to make money. When I put on the headset, I stepped in the world, which that was Doom 3 (BFG Edition). I was there, in the base, actually walking around. I could walk over to desk and have it seem like I'm actually leaning over it, I went up to walls and put my hand out, almost being able to feel it in front of me, I looked down at a corpse and was memorized by the odd feeling that he really seemed there, in the room with me.

The rift is just a prototype and months from a product that they'll be selling. In a few years after the technology has improved, people would probably think it's crap. Though as a VR system that works, it's like nothing you all have experienced. And you won't truely know or understand until you put that headset on you and step into the world. The kits are going out to developers soon and the world is being shown. I truely believe that VR is the future and AR is even there. It also will happen faster then we think. This is different, this will change gaming forever. I know if Amnesia was played in VR, many who have played and beaten the game would have a difficult time... "The dreamers can come out again" said Carmack and it's true. Time to start thinking of the possibilities.

That sounds awesome, I can't wait until I get mine. Would you say the low res is a big issue with the prototype, though, or can one learn to ignore it after a while? Smile

Can we get a statement from FG on what they think of this?
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2012, 10:56 PM by GrixM.)
08-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

If you go in expecting the low res, it's not that bad. The experience itself distracts you from the low res. They have said though that the resolution will increase in the future and the one that's sold.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
08-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Website Find
Plissken Offline

Threads: 1

GrixM, Arvuti, and J.R.S Storch, I'm also really excited about the Rift. What's amazing to me is the reception of some people that this is some overhyped crap that will fail without giving it a chance and understanding it fully. Everyone I know who has been critical of it seems to be misunderstanding it. They seem to think that it is a device that will allow you to look at a small screen some distance away or that it is just another 3d-glass. They don't seem to recognize the fact that the large FOV makes you feel like you are there inside the game. For people not in the know, the Rift has a 90 degree FOV from the center of the eye. That means all you see is the game world.

Imagine walking (or rather, running) around the castle in Amnesia.

I wish I found this thread first cause I just posted about Frictional Games needing to adopt this technology, over at the steam forums. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/sh...st32230597

I've also begged the Overkill Team (creators of Payday: The Heist) to invest in it as well.
08-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Find
GrixM Offline

So is it possible to get a statement from Frictional Games on this?
08-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

First off, Frictional games are >NOT< the ones making the next amnesia game, so they couldn't tell you.

Secondly it's not happening, atleast not with A machine for pigs.
08-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Find
GrixM Offline

(08-19-2012, 07:55 PM)Traggey Wrote: First off, Frictional games are >NOT< the ones making the next amnesia game, so they couldn't tell you.
Hm, just realized this. However there is obviously a thorough communication, so what TCR knows, FG should know as well.
Quote:Secondly it's not happening, atleast not with A machine for pigs.
Is this something you know or are you just being pessimistic?
08-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

(08-19-2012, 10:14 PM)GrixM Wrote:
(08-19-2012, 07:55 PM)Traggey Wrote: First off, Frictional games are >NOT< the ones making the next amnesia game, so they couldn't tell you.
Hm, just realized this. However there is obviously a thorough communication, so what TCR knows, FG should know as well.
Quote:Secondly it's not happening, atleast not with A machine for pigs.
Is this something you know or are you just being pessimistic?
The reason why I'm saying that is because AMFP is already quite a far bit down in development, I would be surprised if they had any time over for something like this, if the rift does succeed we might see it in future products though.
08-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Find
Plissken Offline

Threads: 1

A look inside the Rift:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVNOMCMj1JY&t=3m2s

Imagine Amnesia with the Rift.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2012, 10:29 PM by Plissken.)
08-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Find
marlowelm Offline

Threads: 0
Amnesia compatible with Oculus Rift?

So I was reading about the Oculus Rift, the virtual reality headset that will supposedly revolutionize gaming and I was thinking about how truly terrifying it might be if Frictional decided to make their games compatible with it. From what I read it provides 110 degrees of vision and will be lag free, it also might be using digit tracking so that your hands and arms will be implemented in the game world. So... thoughts?

(link) http://oculusvr.com/
08-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

RE: Amnesia compatible with Oculus Rift?

There's already a thread about this, search the forum before posting.
08-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Find