Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Team Requests Community custom story.
MentallyUnstablePie Away

Threads: 3
Community custom story.

A custom story that is made up of various
maps made by the users of the frictional games forums.

I'm choosing the first 6-12 people who sign up for this in the comments below. Anyone who fails to submit a map by the 7th of this month will be removed from this collaboration.

People signed up.
Currently none D:

There are various ways to send the map(s) to me but you must've signed up and follow the rules (BELOW). Once you've finished message me on the forums, I'll easily work this out.

----RULES----
1.) You must've signed up and gave permission to make a map by me.
2.) The map can't be offensive in any way to any other users of the forums.
3.) No ripped content (AKA ILLEGAL).
4.) You can't make more than 3 level maps.
5.) You must follow the set up I made at the bottom of this page.
6.) If you wish to add another category to the extra english name the category whatever your username is so it doesn't get out of hand.
7.) The maps you send in must be tested and properly working to be entered into this collaboration.
8.) Name the maps based on your names. for Example my maps would be "MentallyUnstablePie_01.map"
9.) Do not create credits/ending of the story. I will do so.
10.) Do not make a transition to the next users map I will do so.
----/RULES----

I will send a finished full custom story of all the compiled maps to anyone who submitted a map to test the maps and otherstuff.

Any questions you have or map errors you will post them in the comments below, or message me.

Here's the setup I have for you to follow.
==================================
custom_stories > Community_collaboration

[Image: KNOcf.jpg]

=====================
custom_story_settings.cfg
----
<Main
Name = "Community Collaboration"
Author = "Frictional Games users."
ImgFile="TrollFace.jpg"

MapsFolder = "maps/"
StartMap = "URNAME_01.map"
StartPos = "PlayerStart_01"
/>
=====================
extra_english.lang
-----
<LANGUAGE>
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">A community Collaboration[br]find us at[br]http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/[br][br] Map made by[br]</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Inventory">
<Entry Name="ItemDesc_Crowbar">This crowbar can only last a little</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemName_Crowbar">Cracked Crowbar</Entry>
<Entry Name="Quest_QUESTNAME_Text">QUEST</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Note_PAPER_Name">TITLE</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_PAPER_Text">HERES DESC</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Messages">
<Entry Name="CHAPTERONE">MentallyUnstablePie's map</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="Ending">
<Entry Name="Credits">ENDING</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="DeathHints">
<Entry Name="Death">You are dead</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>
==================

You don't need to have a story line or anything serious.
You can make your map ANYTHING you wish it to be but it has to follow the rules.
If you're map(s) are too buggy or similar I will not add it in the collaboration.
I choose the first 6-12 people who sign up in the comments below.
Thanks for reading and have fun.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 06:20 PM by MentallyUnstablePie.)
08-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Find
PythonBlue Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Community custom story.

Very interesting idea, and I'm glad this idea was made at all. Smile I can't guarantee I can do much other than music, lighting, and scripting, unfortunately. :/ I have a few original maps, but I feel they are mediocre, not to mention among the unimportant props are ripped content (Halo Grunts). Tongue I can submit a version without e ripped content, though, just for your own input.

All this talk does remind me: are mappers permitted to make changes for maps by someone else, with the other person's permission? Not only would I like to change lights most likely (it's my favorite part of mapping), but I also encourage other mappers to find ways to improve my own levels.

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 06:10 PM by PythonBlue.)
08-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Find
MentallyUnstablePie Away

(08-02-2012, 06:07 PM)SgtYayap Wrote: Very interesting idea, and I'm glad this idea was made at all. Smile I can't guarantee I can do much other than music, lighting, and scripting, unfortunately. :/ I have a few original maps, but I feel they are mediocre, not to mention among the unimportant props are ripped content (Halo Grunts). Tongue I can submit a version without e ripped content, though, just for your own input.

All this talk does remind me: are mappers permitted to make changes for maps by someone else, with the other person's permission? Not only would I like to change lights most likely (it's my favorite part of mapping), but I also encourage other mappers to find ways to improve my own levels.
I will most likely be letting the more talented mappers and scripters edit some maps after doing a beta test.
If you have time on your hands go ahead and submit a map, most maps are going to be better than mine for sure, you can submit a map if you have time on your hands Big Grin There's a very low chance I will be removing a map for it's quality.

Thanks for reading if you care to enter go ahead Tongue I'm working on mine right now!
08-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Just putting this out there, not many people will willing to do this seeing as it's something coming from a forum users very first post, so I don't think you should go expecting tons of people rushing in to submit levels for your story.
08-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

Interesting idea. I can join here, but I'm busy with my own serious project. After that.. maybe I can join for this ride. Smile

“Life is a game, play it”
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 08:56 PM by HumiliatioN.)
08-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Find
MentallyUnstablePie Away

(08-02-2012, 08:29 PM)Traggey Wrote: Just putting this out there, not many people will willing to do this seeing as it's something coming from a forum users very first post, so I don't think you should go expecting tons of people rushing in to submit levels for your story.
Yeah, I don't really expect it to here. I thought this would be a good way to get out there.
08-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Find
PythonBlue Offline

Threads: 13

(08-02-2012, 08:29 PM)Traggey Wrote: Just putting this out there, not many people will willing to do this seeing as it's something coming from a forum users very first post, so I don't think you should go expecting tons of people rushing in to submit levels for your story.

Regardless of the fact that this is a new person, he brought up a very good idea that I'm surprised hasn't been done beforehand that much, if at all, in this community.

08-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

(08-02-2012, 10:35 PM)SgtYayap Wrote:

Regardless of the fact that this is a new person, he brought up a very good idea that I'm surprised hasn't been done beforehand that much, if at all, in this community.

True dat.

“Life is a game, play it”
08-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

"You don't need a storyline or anything serious."
*ANGER*
For me, storyline is key to my progression and dedication to a game.
08-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Find
Kazakarumariou Away
An angry man.

Threads: 8

(08-02-2012, 11:20 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: "You don't need a storyline or anything serious."
*ANGER*
For me, storyline is key to my progression and dedication to a game.
Then make a story line in your maps xP
08-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Find