Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Would you use this tool?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I am a developer, and I would use this tool for my custom stories
50.00%
8 50.00%
I am a developer, and I would not use this tool for my custom stories (Please specify why)
25.00%
4 25.00%
I am a player, and I would like developers to use this tool
18.75%
3 18.75%
I am a player, and I would not like developers to use this tool (Please specify why)
6.25%
1 6.25%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Announcement Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Custom Story Installation Creator
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Custom Story Installation Creator

I noticed it and I think I tried it once, a LONG time ago, but to be honest, installing a custom story is a matter of drag and drop. Your efforts might be more suited for something beyond that.

08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

like palistov said, its a matter of drag and drop. you should try focusing this on a FC/TC installation instead, seeing as many people on this forum struggle with that. dont get me wrong, i think this is a great idea!

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2012, 02:20 PM by Mine Turtle.)
08-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(08-04-2012, 05:12 PM)MulleDK19 Wrote: English is the only supported language at this time.
I may incorporate multi-lingual support.

Comparing against a regex like "extra_[a-z]+\.lang" should do it.

(08-04-2012, 05:12 PM)MulleDK19 Wrote: It should already, unless your Steam is not installed correctly.
What's your OS?

I tested the program in Windows 7. My Steam installion, however, is located on a different hard drive. So if you claim it should have Steam support, it would appear you're not checking the Windows registry for Steam installations. And if that's the case, then the same would be for retail edition of Amnesia. (This assuming the registry even contains install locations for these things.)

(08-04-2012, 05:12 PM)MulleDK19 Wrote: Not sure what you mean, because custom_story_settings.cfg and language files must be placed in the root of the custom story to be found by the game. And those files are the only ones the program cares about.

The CFG and LANG, however, people place in the correct spot. Custom entities, static objects, etc, they tend to have scattered all over. In which case, a more abstract way of listing files for archiving would be practical.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Website Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(08-06-2012, 02:54 PM)Your Computer Wrote:
(08-04-2012, 05:12 PM)MulleDK19 Wrote: English is the only supported language at this time.
I may incorporate multi-lingual support.

Comparing against a regex like "extra_[a-z]+\.lang" should do it.

Already added support for showing the description in multiple languages.

(08-04-2012, 05:12 PM)MulleDK19 Wrote: It should already, unless your Steam is not installed correctly.
What's your OS?

I tested the program in Windows 7. My Steam installion, however, is located on a different hard drive. So if you claim it should have Steam support, it would appear you're not checking the Windows registry for Steam installations. And if that's the case, then the same would be for retail edition of Amnesia. (This assuming the registry even contains install locations for these things.)

In fact I check 4 different registry keys. Two keys for retail, and two keys for Steam. (One if 32-bit OS, the other if 64-bit OS).
I have both my retail and Steam version installed in custom directories in D: and F:.

If you've installed Steam for only your user, that may be the problem. If so, please report back, and I'll take a look.

(08-04-2012, 05:12 PM)MulleDK19 Wrote: Not sure what you mean, because custom_story_settings.cfg and language files must be placed in the root of the custom story to be found by the game. And those files are the only ones the program cares about.
The CFG and LANG, however, people place in the correct spot. Custom entities, static objects, etc, they tend to have scattered all over. In which case, a more abstract way of listing files for archiving would be practical.

Eh... Still not sure what you're on about. The program doesn't care about how the rest of the custom story is layed out. Only that there is a settings config. It'll pack the contents of the custom story folder regardless of structure.

[Image: 16455.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2012, 05:36 PM by MulleDK19.)
08-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(08-11-2012, 05:33 PM)MulleDK19 Wrote: In fact I check 4 different registry keys. Two keys for retail, and two keys for Steam. (One if 32-bit OS, the other if 64-bit OS).
I have both my retail and Steam version installed in custom directories in D: and F:.

If you've installed Steam for only your user, that may be the problem. If so, please report back, and I'll take a look.

I have Steam installed in I:, retail installed in C:. Version 2.0.2.78 still does not list my Steam directory. I checked my registry and found my Steam's install path at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve\InstallPath. I did not find it under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, which would imply i chose to install for all users. Are you also checking against HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for Steam?

(08-11-2012, 05:33 PM)MulleDK19 Wrote: Eh... Still not sure what you're on about. The program doesn't care about how the rest of the custom story is layed out. Only that there is a settings config. It'll pack the contents of the custom story folder regardless of structure.

Is that to say that you parse the MAP files for resource locations and then sort them out in some way? Obviously, it is irrelevant what the folder structure is if everything is isolated to the custom story folder that the tool decides to list. However, users who do not recognize the purpose of the resources.cfg file end up placing their resources inside Amnesia's own directories. In other words, e.g. <Amnesia>/entities/CustomStoryAssets, <Amnesia>/static_objects/CustomStoryAssets, etc; instead of <Amnesia>/custom_stories/CustomStory/CustomStoryAssets.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2012, 06:03 PM by Your Computer.)
08-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Website Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(08-11-2012, 06:03 PM)Your Computer Wrote:
(08-11-2012, 05:33 PM)MulleDK19 Wrote: In fact I check 4 different registry keys. Two keys for retail, and two keys for Steam. (One if 32-bit OS, the other if 64-bit OS).

I have Steam installed in I:, retail installed in C:. Version 2.0.2.78 still does not list my Steam directory. I checked my registry and found my Steam's install path at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve\InstallPath. I did not find it under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, which would imply i chose to install for all users. Are you also checking against HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for Steam?

The program checks the registry for the installer properties. If Steam hasn't been installed using the installer, it won't find it.
I'll add that path, though.

(08-11-2012, 06:03 PM)Your Computer Wrote:
(08-11-2012, 05:33 PM)MulleDK19 Wrote: Eh... Still not sure what you're on about. The program doesn't care about how the rest of the custom story is layed out. Only that there is a settings config. It'll pack the contents of the custom story folder regardless of structure.

Is that to say that you parse the MAP files for resource locations and then sort them out in some way? Obviously, it is irrelevant what the folder structure is if everything is isolated to the custom story folder that the tool decides to list. However, users who do not recognize the purpose of the resources.cfg file end up placing their resources inside Amnesia's own directories. In other words, e.g. /entities/CustomStoryAssets, /static_objects/CustomStoryAssets, etc; instead of /custom_stories/CustomStory/CustomStoryAssets.
Right, so it's a problem with people not knowing how a custom story should be made, and not a problem with the program.

[Image: 16455.png]
08-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Find
im a moderfucking bacon eater Offline

Threads: 0
Rainbow  RE: Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Custom Story Installation Creator

it says that i must have the current version and i tried all of them. plz give me somewhone a new version link Huh
12-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Find