Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED]Level Editor causes video drivers to crash
Chap Offline

Threads: 16
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Exclamation  [SOLVED]Level Editor causes video drivers to crash

So I'm working on a custom story and have been for a while, up until now I've had no problems with the editor but last week I got some new solid state drives and installed a fresh version of windows on one and put my whole steam library on the other.

Since then, whilst I've been working on the mod, the level editor is working as normal, no lagg or errors at all but then all of a sudden the editor will freeze up and a few seconds later Windows reports that my video drivers have crashed and recovered. This makes HPL2 non-responsive and forces me to kill the process. I can restart the editor and continue working until it crashes again.

There doesn't seem to be any particular object or lighting that provoke it but it happens around every 10minutes in the editor and I haven't experienced this issue in any other programs or games. I'm using an ATI 5850 and running windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I have all the latest drivers for my gfx card and I even reinstalled them and it still does it.

Anyone got any ideas as to what's going on? =(

[Image: 20643.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 11:41 PM by Chap.)
08-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Level Editor causes video drivers to crash

This has been happening to me recently too, and i have 5850 as well. This has never happened to me before and i didn't touch the level editor. I know my card isn't dying since it handles everything else and it only happens randomly with the level editor open. Also, the bluescreen i got was 0x116, which is the expected result. I'd say downgrading to 12.5 drivers may help (i say "may" because i haven't downgraded yet).

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Website Find
Chap Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Level Editor causes video drivers to crash

Well I downloaded a legacy driver and so far, I've had none of these crashes again yet.

I recommend you get this, you can keep your current version just install this additionally and it should resolve the errors.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wi...ng=English

I've been on the editor now for about an hour and no crashes yet so seems to have worked =) Hope it helps you too, GL

08-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Find
Chap Offline

Doesn't resolve the issue =( Although it stopped it happening for a while, I still get the driver crash and recovery. No idea what to do with it now...It makes working infuriating =(

08-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

Huh... well I have a crappy [mobile] one (64MB ATI Radeon x300) it auto-restarts if it crashes. I would think that yours would do it too (seeing how it is much newer :p).

EDIT: do you think it might be overheating?

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 11:39 PM by darkely.)
08-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Find
Chap Offline

It does recover the driver but the point is it means that I have to restart the editor and probably lose data as a result.

I've found a solution though - If anyone else has this problem with a 5xxx series ATI card, then roll back your drivers to version 11.12. The new version 12 drivers are buggy unfortunately.

Hope that helps others though. =)

08-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Find