Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Drawers / Move-able/Non -move-able objects [MODELLING]
The Shanus Offline

Threads: 15
Drawers / Move-able/Non -move-able objects [MODELLING]

So I've decided to take it upon myself to model a modern file-cabinet of sorts. What I'm confused about, however, is how do I make it so that the drawers can be pulled as if they are seperate to the actual frame, without moving the whole thing? The desks in amnesia are a single entity, so I'm not sure if this is done in the modeleditor, or before-hand, in the actually editing program.

[Image: theshanusyoutube.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2012, 07:09 PM by The Shanus.)
08-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: Drawers / Move-able/Non -move-able objects [MODELLING]

You'll need to make each drawer a separate submesh. Then, create a body for the cabinet (not the drawers). It will have to be static, so make its mass 0. Then create individual bodies for each drawer. Create slide joints pointing towards the direction you want them to move when pulled out. I think an open value or max value of 1.0 should work. Parent the joint to the cabinet body, and child the joint to the drawer. Change the entity type in Settings->User-Defined Variables to Object->Slide.

08-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Find
The Shanus Offline

(08-07-2012, 07:07 PM)palistov Wrote: You'll need to make each drawer a separate submesh. Then, create a body for the cabinet (not the drawers). It will have to be static, so make its mass 0. Then create individual bodies for each drawer. Create slide joints pointing towards the direction you want them to move when pulled out. I think an open value or max value of 1.0 should work. Parent the joint to the cabinet body, and child the joint to the drawer. Change the entity type in Settings->User-Defined Variables to Object->Slide.
Okay, thanks, clear instructions! Just gotta find out how Tongue

08-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Ah, well this is all in the model editor btw Smile

Take one of Amnesia's drawer entities, save it as something else, and delete everything except the meshes, and try it yourself, just for practice Tongue The bottom button with the gears? Click that to run a sort of simulation so you can test it out without having to go in-game. Click it again to stop the simulation.

08-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Find
The Shanus Offline

(08-07-2012, 07:21 PM)palistov Wrote: Ah, well this is all in the model editor btw Smile

Take one of Amnesia's drawer entities, save it as something else, and delete everything except the meshes, and try it yourself, just for practice Tongue The bottom button with the gears? Click that to run a sort of simulation so you can test it out without having to go in-game. Click it again to stop the simulation.
Meaning the one in the redist file? There goes me trying it in 3ds Max! Big Grin Not sure what you mean with the bold text though? Doesn't seem related to the rest? I seem to be missing the link p:

Edit: Wait, Im guessing you mean a button on the actual program, not on the drawer entity :p

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2012, 07:32 PM by The Shanus.)
08-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Yes, you use the one in the redist. However before exporting your DAE from 3Ds max make sure that you select each of the drawers in your mesh and seperate them all from eachother so that they do not belong to the same mesh, that way the modeleditor.exe will be able to read them as seperate objects.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2012, 07:59 PM by Traggey.)
08-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Find
The Shanus Offline

(08-07-2012, 07:59 PM)Traggey Wrote: Yes, you use the one in the redist. However before exporting your DAE from 3Ds max make sure that you select each of the drawers in your mesh and seperate them all from eachother so that they do not belong to the same mesh, that way the modeleditor.exe will be able to read them as seperate objects.
Ah, okay, so I build the entire thing in one file. Gotcha. Do I need to put an overhang to the back of the drawer so that it clips to something and doesn't just come out? Or do I do that in the modeleditor?

08-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Find
The Shanus Offline

I think I've more or less finished a single drawer - it's no masterpiece :
Spoiler below!
[Image: drawermodel1.jpg]

But that draw alone is 156 polys. If I were to create the entire thing with 2x4 drawers, + the frame, would it not exceed the amount of polys I should be looking at using? Also, an answer to the above question would be nice, as if I have to model it to prevent the drawers flying out, that would require even more polys p:

Lastly, does it look okay? Or do I need to do something to it to make it look more realistic? Pressing f9 in 3DS Max doesnt give a great interpretation of what it would look like in-game, but it looks a little funny.

08-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

Threads: 20

It looks unrealistic with that bright white-ness. But I guess it could work if you made it in a bright-white room.

Just my opinion. ^_^

Confusion: a Custom Story - Ch1 for play!
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-15477.html
About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
08-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Website Find
The Shanus Offline

(08-08-2012, 03:43 PM)Theforgot3n1 Wrote: It looks unrealistic with that bright white-ness. But I guess it could work if you made it in a bright-white room.

Just my opinion. ^_^
Well I dont think it shows actual shadows and whatnot in the rendered image, so that should be fixed in the game, I think p:

08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Find