Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Edit Amnesia Launcher?
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
RE: How to Edit Amnesia Launcher?

(08-16-2012, 09:47 AM)CrazyKilla Wrote: And how i got the source code? that's not easy to explain and required me a lot of work
I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
08-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Even if you released it, having changed that button is NOT THAT SPECIAL. I honestly would rather play a regular custom story than attempt to play yours. "WHooooOOO, a new launcher button!" You start it and it doesn't matter anymore. Not only are you doing something illegal and immoral, you're wasting everyone's time including yours thinking you're being innovative. Just stick to the templates, for crying out loud. Everyone thinks they're changing the way custom stories are made when they're really just putting sprinkles on ice cream. It's not that special. No one is going to up-rate your story simply because you put another button....
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM by Statyk.)
08-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(08-20-2012, 05:07 PM)Statyk Wrote: Even if you released it, having changed that button is NOT THAT SPECIAL. I honestly would rather play a regular custom story than attempt to play yours. "WHooooOOO, a new launcher button!" You start it and it doesn't matter anymore. Not only are you doing something illegal and immoral, you're wasting everyone's time including yours thinking you're being innovative. Just stick to the templates, for crying out loud. Everyone thinks they're changing the way custom stories are made when they're really just putting sprinkles on ice cream. It's not that special. No one is going to up-rate your story simply because you put another button....
True. They only uprate the custom story for its content, not for a new "launcher.exe".

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
08-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Website Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

I'm sure at this point I am just re-iterating viewpoints you have already heard, but i would also strongly recommend you do not edit the existing launcher. Without even thinking about the potential legal issues which i am not really well advised to discuss: Think about the end user experience, Think about the person who wants to use your mod. If your launcher replaces the game's one, that's providing a hassle when the time to uninstall your content comes around isn't it?

If it doesn't replace anything it's just a superflous extra screen for the sake of a button which could easily be a batch file instead - and will have to then start up the proper launcher anyway - at least for steam versions of amnesia.

Which brings me on to the second point - you are just asking for compatibility issues, in areas where FG has already set up the game in such a way so that you don't have to worry about them.
E.g. The steam version of the launcher probably behaves differently (you can launch a non-steam version without going through the launcher, so I'm guessing the launcher does something special in the steam version). Are you going to reverse engineer the different launchers to add your button? How many different versions of the mod are you planning to maintain and upload?

Then there is the issue of other parties as well as other custom stories:
  • What if you release a second story which also adds a button in the launcher? Which launcher do I keep - Do i waste space and keep both?
  • What if other people decide to jump on the bandwagon? I'd rather the full conversion launchers be in the full conversion's folder.
  • What happens if FG release a patch for amnesia in the future which alters the launcher?
Finally, why should the user want to start your CS/FC differently to all the others? All the Custom Stories are in the custom stories menu - where the user expects them to be - each in their own folder to make it easy to remove too. Full conversions are generally self contained too, and have a short-cut or batch file to launch the game.

I really think it isn't necessary making this extra work for yourself when all you are really going to achieve annoying the end user. I ask what do you think adding the button to the launcher is going to add to your mod that a shortcut or batch file can't?

I apologise if I am coming across as a little blunt here, but if you are trying gauge feasibility, then this should give you some more counter points to consider.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2012, 08:50 PM by Apjjm.)
08-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Find