Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which Lovecraftian Monster(s) would you like to see in a game by FG?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shoggoth
14.63%
6 14.63%
Elder Thing
12.20%
5 12.20%
Flying Polyp
7.32%
3 7.32%
Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath
9.76%
4 9.76%
Shub-Niggurath
2.44%
1 2.44%
Deep One
17.07%
7 17.07%
Star Spawn of Cthulhu
4.88%
2 4.88%
Cthulhu
12.20%
5 12.20%
Chthonian
7.32%
3 7.32%
Mi-Go
12.20%
5 12.20%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What Lovecraftian Monter(s) would you like to see in a future game?
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: What Lovecraftian Monter(s) would you like to see in a future game?

(08-21-2012, 11:12 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 10:58 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 03:16 AM)Gaviao Wrote: Star Spawn of Cthulhu reminds me of some alien dogs when i was playing halo:reach in my xbox 360 '-'

but whatever,i wonder what pewdie will say when he sees a fuckin scary mutant pig from hell when he plays amnesia:a machine for pigs,
@topic
they alredy made pigs as enemies for their next game bro,maybe next time =D

Do you have to talk about PewDie in EVERY. GODDAMN. THREAD!!?

On-topic: Lovecraft's creatures are fascinating, but I don't think that they fit into Amnesia...
These games (Penumbra and Amnesia) are inspired from Lovecraft's world. The Rock Worm from Penumbra is Frictional Games version of the Dhole from the Lovecratian universe. The Infected, being zombie-like, also fits in this world. Even the Grunts/Brutes would fit perfectly in his creation.

Let's pick the Shoggoth, for example, and think up an Amnesia story. You were and investigator who, despite Dyer's warnings, went to Antarctica. The trip there was so traumatic that you got amnesia upon the return trip home to study various artifacts...however the monster that hitchhiked unexpectedly with you (the Shoggoth) had other plans for your future!
Yeah uhh, sorry, but I don't think that would work too well for an entire game/mod. The reason the Rock Worm was so effective was because it was used so minimally, and it's obvious that when you encounter one it you cannot hide and hope for it to go away, all you can do is run and hope you don't fuck up. Sure this kind of gameplay works well when it's spread out, but having the entire game just be chase after chase from some massive monster wouldn't be very scary. It wouldn't function as a normal monster like the Grunt or the Brute, the reason those work is because while it's obvious that their intent is to kill you and they look absolutely terrifying, they're still small enough that you know if you're clever you're going to be able to escape them. But, with something of a much larger size, like the Rock Worm or the monsters you linked, I don't see how an encounter with one of them could result in anything but a chase sequence, and a horror game needs much more than just chase sequences.

Posting Freak
08-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(08-22-2012, 05:27 AM)Kman Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 11:12 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 10:58 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 03:16 AM)Gaviao Wrote: Star Spawn of Cthulhu reminds me of some alien dogs when i was playing halo:reach in my xbox 360 '-'

but whatever,i wonder what pewdie will say when he sees a fuckin scary mutant pig from hell when he plays amnesia:a machine for pigs,
@topic
they alredy made pigs as enemies for their next game bro,maybe next time =D

Do you have to talk about PewDie in EVERY. GODDAMN. THREAD!!?

On-topic: Lovecraft's creatures are fascinating, but I don't think that they fit into Amnesia...
These games (Penumbra and Amnesia) are inspired from Lovecraft's world. The Rock Worm from Penumbra is Frictional Games version of the Dhole from the Lovecratian universe. The Infected, being zombie-like, also fits in this world. Even the Grunts/Brutes would fit perfectly in his creation.

Let's pick the Shoggoth, for example, and think up an Amnesia story. You were and investigator who, despite Dyer's warnings, went to Antarctica. The trip there was so traumatic that you got amnesia upon the return trip home to study various artifacts...however the monster that hitchhiked unexpectedly with you (the Shoggoth) had other plans for your future!
Yeah uhh, sorry, but I don't think that would work too well for an entire game/mod. The reason the Rock Worm was so effective was because it was used so minimally, and it's obvious that when you encounter one it you cannot hide and hope for it to go away, all you can do is run and hope you don't fuck up. Sure this kind of gameplay works well when it's spread out, but having the entire game just be chase after chase from some massive monster wouldn't be very scary. It wouldn't function as a normal monster like the Grunt or the Brute, the reason those work is because while it's obvious that their intent is to kill you and they look absolutely terrifying, they're still small enough that you know if you're clever you're going to be able to escape them. But, with something of a much larger size, like the Rock Worm or the monsters you linked, I don't see how an encounter with one of them could result in anything but a chase sequence, and a horror game needs much more than just chase sequences.
I think that the bigger monster you could have more than a chase scene. If you're on a large soon-to-be Ghost Ship, you have various places to run and hide. Unlike the Grey Rock Worm, the Shoggoth doesn't see through detecting vibrations. Granted he has a lot of eyes, but you can still hide from it. Tricking it to chase other monsters is another option, and good in case you needed to get past a Brute guarding the door to an important clue/item/etc. It doesn't have to take place on a ship. Deep in the woods, a city (either ancient or human), a large castle, or something could be used to house both small and large monsters.
08-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

I'd imagine a shoggoth could be like a huge thing that slowly oozes through the level. So it wouldn't be an adrenaline-filled chase sequence but rather this threat that's not as immediate as a brute chasing you, but makes sure to keep you on your toes. Like water thats slowly rising in a level, but less predictable, y' know? Dunno, it might work.

You could also pull a "War of the Worlds" type of scene, where several tentacles are probing around in a room, searching for you...
Or you could have the shoggoth hang around in the levels pipe or ventilation system, so you have to listen carefully for the noise it makes when it moves around and be very quiet yourself, or it might stick it's tentacles out of a hatch to grab you Wink

It could also serve a more passive role, like a natural level barrier. Let's say the story takes place on a ship - well you'd need a reason why you're not simply escaping over the water in a lifeboat, right? Big Grin

But yeah, I think it would be pretty hard to properly integrate a shoggoth in a way that makes sense, compared to more "normal" enemies. It would maybe best be used as a more subtle "background threat" I feel...your main problem are the smaller enemies but you also have to be careful not to wake up the huge, slow beast thats sleeping somewhere below you. ^^
08-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(08-20-2012, 02:40 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I like the idea of using deep sea fish for the fish-side of the Deep Ones. Imagine if a Deep One with its 'fishing lure' light tricked you into thinking it was a person with a lantern/flashlight.

Like this? Rock Worm and Hirnwirbel, thanks for inspiration! Notice Oswald's factory in the background. I think these fellas could work well in AAMFP...
[Image: deeponesrising.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM by Deep One.)
08-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Hm... while that sure looks good, something tells me a Machine for Pigs will focus more on the horrors created through human madness and cruelty, not so much on supernatural stuff. I think its more likely that Frictionals secret project will have Lovecraftian elements in it. I could be wrong though...

Btw, this Deep One is pretty damn awesome too. More of an unusual design and it would go very well with Amnesias monster style I think. Also I just stumbled across this oddity - looks like there's a Lovecraft fan working in the WWF's marketing departement Wink
08-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

(08-22-2012, 07:25 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Hm... while that sure looks good, something tells me a Machine for Pigs will focus more on the horrors created through human madness and cruelty, not so much on supernatural stuff. I think its more likely that Frictionals secret project will have Lovecraftian elements in it. I could be wrong though...

Btw, this Deep One is pretty damn awesome too. More of an unusual design and it would go very well with Amnesias monster style I think. Also I just stumbled across this oddity - looks like there's a Lovecraft fan working in the WWF's marketing departement Wink
I totally agree.

Woah that picture almost scared me Big Grin It looks like the Tuurngait infected, but 100 times creepier.
08-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: Woah that picture almost scared me [Image: biggrin.gif] It looks like the Tuurngait infected, but 100 times creepier.
For additional nightmare fuel consider this: In The Shadow over Innsmouth it is said, that Deep Ones are known to mate with humans. I mean...just think about it...
08-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

(08-22-2012, 07:52 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: Woah that picture almost scared me [Image: biggrin.gif] It looks like the Tuurngait infected, but 100 times creepier.
For additional nightmare fuel consider this: In The Shadow over Innsmouth it is said, that Deep Ones are known to mate with humans. I mean...just think about it...

Ugly Inssmouthian girl was terrified, as she felt Deep One's slimy...
NOPENONONO
08-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Okay, most of Lovecraft's monsters are a big No, but I think many of the smaller ones could work. The flying polyp could stalk high above the forests (epic outside level) while a smaller version of this fuck stalks you.
[Image: PVReh.jpg] Perhaps something like this.

[Image: lovecraft___ghast_by_kingovrats-d563kli.jpg] Pretty, ain't it?
08-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(08-22-2012, 09:22 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: Okay, most of Lovecraft's monsters are a big No, but I think many of the smaller ones could work. The flying polyp could stalk high above the forests (epic outside level) while a smaller version of this fuck stalks you.
[Image: PVReh.jpg]
That mosnter is a Gug (would have included it in the poll, but ran out of space for it. How about this Gug i found online: http://caberwood.deviantart.com/art/GUG-295452731

Speaking of Smaller monsters, how about this (that I found) as a humanoid 'Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath' http://media01.bigblackbag.net/25396/por...ns_151.jpg The storyline could by that, instead of being turned into sayter-like the followers of Shub-Niggurath are turned into her young.

Deep One[b],[/b] that is a cool image and concept! I hadn't thought of the bioilluminescent light being the hand. That would work better than on the head.

This is officially my 300th post!
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012, 12:28 AM by The Rock Worm.)
08-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Find