Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[REL] The Attic: Chapter 3
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49
RE: [REL] The Attic: Chapter 3

(08-24-2012, 08:24 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: They block out all the criticism, and when someone finally catches their attention on the subject, JetlinerX has to write a wall of text defending himself and throws out all of his credentials as though they mean something around here. He then has the audacity to make multiple personal attacks and insult the community as a whole; I certainly won't miss him.
We've never blocked out criticism, we simply have just never done that. We may be defensive when it comes to criticism, in which case, woops! Sorry! In any case, we have always discussed what people said when we were making it. If it didnt seem like that, then we apologize. I write a wall of text because there was a wall of text attacking me personally. Am I supposed to sit here and accept that as criticism and say: "Yeah, you are totally right, we suck at custom stories, and really shouldn't move on." If you think anyone should do that, you are sadly mistaken. When someone draws their guns with me, I draw mine with them. It's pointless to cower in fear and just agree with the people who attack you. We dont have any credentials, so what are you saying I am throwing out? Those three points about my personal life? Those were there because I was considered unsuccessful. I cant just say "You're wrong," thats stupid, I will provide proof they are wrong also. I will gladly insult the community. They have shown their true colors through out my time here. I will discourage many up coming modders to start with HPL2 because of the community, and I dont care if you think that is wrong. No beginner should be subject to such discouraging people. You all act like you never were amatures at this before. News flash! Not everyone is going to be making the next White Night the second they pickup custom stories. Why are you blaming us that our mediocre mod got so much attention?! You may not miss me, and that is totally fine, because I wont miss you, nor anyone here aswell.

~Good day.

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

08-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(08-22-2012, 03:06 AM)JetlinerX Wrote:
The Attic: Chapter Three
Story:
Play the previous chapters. Wink

(DOWNLOAD ON LOWER PART OF POST)

Features:
Custom soundtrack
Custom Models
Custom Sound Effects
Custom Textures/Skyboxes
A great conclusion to the story. Smile
I've just finished playing The Attic: Chapter 3! You two put some great scripted stuff into here, not to mention an exciting story. The ending was a bit rushed, and left me wondering what happened.
08-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

(08-24-2012, 08:57 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:

Story:

Features:

Custom soundtrack

Custom Models

Custom Sound Effects

Custom Textures/Skyboxes

I've just finished playing The Attic: Chapter 3! You two put some great scripted stuff into here, not to mention an exciting story. The ending was a bit rushed, and left me wondering what happened.

Thanks! Yes, Seth will be coming out with an updated ending because my idea of a cliff hanger was not the best one Wink

~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2012, 09:06 PM by JetlinerX.)
08-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Website Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

I've never said that it was garbage, I pointed out flaws that the creators obviously had missed.
On another note, Jetliner, you've made a complete fool of yourself. I hope that you're happy.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2012, 09:26 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
08-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

(08-24-2012, 09:14 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: Jetliner, you've made a complete fool of yourself. I hope that you're happy.
I'm not coming back, I dont care how I look to these people! Smile

~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

08-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(08-24-2012, 09:05 PM)JetlinerX Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 08:57 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:

Story:

Features:

Custom soundtrack

Custom Models

Custom Sound Effects

Custom Textures/Skyboxes

Thanks! Yes, Seth will be coming out with an updated ending because my idea of a cliff hanger was not the best one Wink
I look forward to Seth's updated ending Smile.
08-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

Haha. No worries, made me chuckle, CorinthianMerchant.

Rock Worm - I'll tell Seth to hurry then. Wink

~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

08-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Website Find
triadtimes Offline

Threads: 16

I feel I need to do an actual review of this custom story to both a) keep this thread slightly on-topic and b) explain why some people are disappointed. So here it goes (in no particular order and with no regards for spoilers)...

Mapping - The mapping, to be quite honest, wasn't terrible. Not saying it was anything awesome and new, but it wasn't terrible. There were a few clipping issues that were quite annoying. There were large rooms sparsely filled with entities. But, overall, not the worst I've ever seen. I will commend you on the outdoor section (mapping-wise) it was cool.

Lighting - This is where it begins to go downhill. Through the story I was given ten or so tinderboxes (to be honest, I don't care to recall) but I never needed to use them, and, if I did decide to use one to light up a room I wouldn't get any satisfaction from it as there appeared to be no point lights connected to the lamp entities; I would light a candlestick and I would get very, very little illumination. As far as the lantern goes, it NEEDED to be used at all times, or else, I would be able to see nothing, luckily I found the "secret room" (I'll discuss that later) and obtained quite a bit of oil.

Ambiance/Atmosphere - Nothing. I never once felt terrified or afraid, lonely or depressed, happy or sad, nothing. My main pet peeve was there was no ambiance (as far as music goes). There were some sound effects, good, and there was the part with the piano, nicely done (aside from that nice emotional buildup being broken in two by a shitty jumpscare which was predictable a mile away), aside from that, nothing too spectacular if anything at all.

Story - Well, it's there. The Attic DOES have a story, not the best, to be honest, but a story nonetheless. Play The Attic for yourself, maybe you'll like the story more than I did, but, it made no sense. Father creates "Laudanum" as a cure-all, it's not, instead it turns people into monsters. Mother makes "Sanity Potion" as a cure for Father's "Laudanum". Father kills Mother because, fuck you. Protagonist now seeks to kill Father because Father killed Mother. My main gripe with this is "Laudanum" and "Sanity Potion" the two things used all game; if you wanted to do something cool, new, or awesome with this story why not make it so taking Laudanum is harmful, or at least have the player comment on it. Seriously, Father's cure-all monster potion is the thing that heals my wounds? Why am I not in a coma? Fuck you dad.

Overall - Not terrible. Not great. It had decent mapping. The lighting was not fine. There was no atmosphere. It had A story. 4/10

Final Comments - Go play The Attic for yourself, this is only a review by some nobody on a forum. If you dig an okay story with crappy jumpscares, no ambiance, and obvious errors, go wild. If you don't go play something else. In the end I think something that would up this piece's playability is to have someone test it, someone you KNOW will be a good tester, because, as for some of these errors, they are very obvious and you should feel ashamed for letting them get in your final product.

Oh, and Jet, Seth, meet me at camera three...
In regards to secrets: http://www.twitch.tv/redhack2/b/329609289
In regards to ambiance: http://www.twitch.tv/redhack2/b/329609575

08-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

(08-24-2012, 09:28 PM)JetlinerX Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 09:14 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: Jetliner, you've made a complete fool of yourself. I hope that you're happy.
innapropriate response. taken back.

you know what, fuqit, im done with this.

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2012, 09:42 PM by Mine Turtle.)
08-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

(08-24-2012, 09:28 PM)JetlinerX Wrote:
[Image: i_ain__t_even_mad_by_terribleprincess-d34w0sy.jpg]

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
08-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Find