Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

WHITE screen crossfading effect during paying game
oday Offline

Threads: 2
WHITE screen crossfading effect during paying game

i really do not understand that idea with that slowly crossfading effect, when screen is going to white colour and back to normal in amnesia and penumbra. it is happening always before "cut-scenes" i mean before each dialogue, which reveal the plot/story.

THAT EFFECT IS SO ANNOYING, PAINFUL FOR EYES, AND IT OFTEN MAKES THAT YOU TRUN YOUR HEAD OUT OF SCREEN. when you are playing amnezia/penumbra which has a dark colours/atmosphere, and when you're doing it long time at night in dark room, then your eyes accustom to darkness, and suddently you are blinded by the lights (by that crossfadeing white effect).

why you cannot use a crossfading to black colour? WHY YOU CHOOSE WHITE?!
althought in amnesia you can endure this effect, in penumbra black plague (at the end) it makes you angry.

i made an small investigation - and i'm suprised that almost all of my firends, who i asked - told me, that effect is killing pleasure of playing your game, becasue that crossfading process is to slow, and it happends very often in game.

PLEASE PLEASE DO SOMETHING WITH THIS in next amnesia.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012, 04:13 PM by oday.)
08-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84
RE: WHITE screen crossfading effect during paying game

Much fuss for small problem.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
08-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Find
oday Offline

Threads: 2

(08-29-2012, 04:23 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: Much fuss for small problem.

because all penumbra and amnesia are almost perfect horror games, so if you find any problem it will me small Tongue
08-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Maybe they use that effect, because it's the only way for a horror game to make the player feel real, physical pain? The only other way would be sound and someone could sue them for ruining his eardrums.

... ok seriously I have no clue. I think the idea is to make the player flinch, so he's doing the same thing the protagonist is doing as the sudden flashback enters his mind. A way to make the player feel more immersed and connected to the main character - only it's not really working because it's just perceived as annoying after a while.
08-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Haha, I actually never noticed this on my first playthrough. I thought that the white fade helped me feel as if I was separated from the current environment and I was having an actual flashback.

But clearly it is a flaw because I see almost all of my friends play and complain about this.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012, 08:28 PM by Damascus Rose.)
08-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Yeah I actually have to say I quite liked the effect, I don't know why it would bother you that much.

Posting Freak
08-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Website Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5

are you talking about that fade after you solved a puzzle? i personally like this, it shows you finally solved it, and, as you said, it destroys the scary atmosphere a bit. you feel a bit safer, and often they use exactly this feeling, to scare you even more. that's a really intelligent feature, so i don't hope they'll remove this.

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
08-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Actually johnbox, I think he is referring to flashbacks.

08-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5

(08-29-2012, 08:34 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Actually johnbox, I think he is referring to flashbacks.
damn it, you're right. sorry for my incompetence.
mmh, never thought about that. i personally don't really care about that, but if you want it to fade black, just open the script-files of all maps, take search & replace, and change the important parts, so you get a black fade, instead of white. should be possible. or just forget about those things, i personally never heard anyone complaining about this.

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
08-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

(08-29-2012, 08:40 PM)johnbox Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 08:34 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Actually johnbox, I think he is referring to flashbacks.
damn it, you're right. sorry for my incompetence.
mmh, never thought about that. i personally don't really care about that, but if you want it to fade black, just open the script-files of all maps, take search & replace, and change the important parts, so you get a black fade, instead of white. should be possible. or just forget about those things, i personally never heard anyone complaining about this.
Actually the flashbacks are handled by flashback areas, being activated when the player contacts one of them. The .hps file doesn't handle the flashing. The white flashing I believe is in the source code, so if you want to remove the flashback whiteness all I can think to do is remove the flashback entirely.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM by Damascus Rose.)
08-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Find