Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rising Water [Discontinued]
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
Rising Water [Discontinued]

Note: Rising Water has been discontinued.

Hi. I've been working on my first custom story for quite a while now and I'm ready to present the demo of Rising Water. The story, in a nutshell, is that you've woken up in a mansion owned by the Walker family after getting attacked in the ocean, and you need to get out because the water is rising toward it. Keep in mind that not everything is final, and I am relatively novice at scripting, so bear with me! Smile

Here are some screenshots. (OUTDATED)

Read the readme for more information and why not everything looks too great. Download here. Thanks for playing, and make sure to leave some feedback and suggestions! Note that I also know it might be horrendous because it is my first story, and that is fine.

Notice: A second release of the demo has been released. No more demo releases will occur. The first map (bedroom) has been redone almost completely, as I have mastered the "AddEntityCollideCallback" function and was able to do some interesting things with it. The Flooded Archives are larger, and there is a new room that has been added. The water's lighting in the Flooded Archives now works properly. The crowbar has been relocated in the Archives. The music no longer stops when the Lurker is activated in the Archives. A very early release of the Storage has been added, where you can solve a simple puzzle but there is nothing to use the outcomes (a pot of acid and a hammer) until the final release. Download here.

P.S. Sorry if I seem a little jumpy and eager, this is my first CS which will be released to the public (I've done many private ones in the past) and I'm worried about its reception. Tongue

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2012, 09:22 PM by Zaffre.)
08-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Find
Gaviao Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Rising Water [DEMO]

for a new scripter, the scripting is very good!and the map too!but the demo was too short but at least it explained what is happening to the place! i give this demo 8/10 (4/5 stars)

Projects i'm working on
The Dream:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dream
Amnesia:Fear in Hands
http://www.moddb.com/mods/amnesia-fear-in-hands
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2012, 11:12 PM by Gaviao.)
08-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Nothing bothers me more than seeing water that is lit up in complete darkness. The only waters that do this are the ones with cubemap reflections. I bet you could get away with using the fountain water (which reflects the world, and therefore isn't lit up in darkness) in that area, since it doesn't look like you see a whole lot of water at once. Smile

[Image: signature-2.png]
08-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

(08-31-2012, 11:43 PM)Streetboat Wrote: Nothing bothers me more than seeing water that is lit up in complete darkness. The only waters that do this are the ones with cubemap reflections. I bet you could get away with using the fountain water (which reflects the world, and therefore isn't lit up in darkness) in that area, since it doesn't look like you see a whole lot of water at once. Smile
Will do!

(08-31-2012, 11:43 PM)Streetboat Wrote: Nothing bothers me more than seeing water that is lit up in complete darkness. The only waters that do this are the ones with cubemap reflections. I bet you could get away with using the fountain water (which reflects the world, and therefore isn't lit up in darkness) in that area, since it doesn't look like you see a whole lot of water at once. Smile
Oh, and also, I didn't do it to begin with because my computer doesn't like reflective water. I was able to use a better one to code it in, but this happens on my other machine.
[Image: E13yP.jpg]
Also, that was taken in the Storage, so sneak peek of the Storage too! Yay! Also, all the areas are a lot smaller then I'd like them to be, so in the final version or next demo release, the areas will be bigger, including the Storage. Right now, the Storage is a hallway with three doors; in one room is a hammer and a note, another a chemistry pot, and another a pot of acid. The note reads that a pot of acid will weaken the lock in the hub (Bedroom), and the hammer will destroy the weakened lock. Now you know the answer to the next puzzle. Big Grin

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2012, 01:14 AM by Zaffre.)
09-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Notice: I've released a second demo, which contains about a third of the story now. No other demos will be released. Download it here. You can see the changes and also another download link on the original post. Thanks for trying it out!

09-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

So, I gave it a shot, and I must say, I like the story and the setup, but I was disappointed in how short and linear it was. It seemed that there were no interim areas, and every puzzle had the solution you sought in the very next room.
Spoiler below!
It was especially apparent in the storage, where there were three rooms; the first had a note detailing what items you needed, the second had the first item, and the third room had the last item. After that, I couldn't find anywhere else to go, so I assume I finished it.

Another thing is you need to detail your rooms much more, and you need in-between areas for these rooms. Just hallways and connectors that serve as little more than aesthetic bonuses and gameplay extenders. Having that one room after the bedroom with the door to the storage, and the door to the flooded archives almost touching each other with no other entrances or exits was very strange.

[Image: signature-2.png]
09-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

(09-01-2012, 06:53 AM)Streetboat Wrote: So, I gave it a shot, and I must say, I like the story and the setup, but I was disappointed in how short and linear it was. It seemed that there were no interim areas, and every puzzle had the solution you sought in the very next room.
Spoiler below!
It was especially apparent in the storage, where there were three rooms; the first had a note detailing what items you needed, the second had the first item, and the third room had the last item. After that, I couldn't find anywhere else to go, so I assume I finished it.

Another thing is you need to detail your rooms much more, and you need in-between areas for these rooms. Just hallways and connectors that serve as little more than aesthetic bonuses and gameplay extenders. Having that one room after the bedroom with the door to the storage, and the door to the flooded archives almost touching each other with no other entrances or exits was very strange.
I noticed this too, and I'm definitely going to work on it some more for the final product. I've decided to almost completely revise the Bedroom, enlargen the Storage and Archives, and of course add new content.

EDIT: I've decided to start the story again from scratch, as I was unhappy with the results of my other work. I've already created the new Bedroom, which explains the story in a more obscure way, explains why the lantern and key are there, and has a lot more detail in it.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2012, 06:27 PM by Zaffre.)
09-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Find