Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Entity crashing game
grasmann Offline

Threads: 2
Custom Entity crashing game

Hi

I got a problem here. I'm planning to create a total conversation, in an isolated folder, nice and clean.
So far so good, everything works how it should, with some starting problems that I already solved myself.

I added the "DigiByteFlashLight" and thought it was a great addition to the game, if I include the model into the isolated folder there isn't even anything replaced. Cool. The flashlight is actually working ... so no problem here.

If I place the lantern on the ground it still looks like the standard lantern from the game, but if I pick it up I have the modded flashlight. I think that's not yet acceptable. I want the flashlight to look like it even if it's lying on the ground.

So I opened the provided entity from "DigiByteFlashLight" in the model editor.
- I created a shape that fits the flashlight well enough and created a body from it
- I attached the two lights, the billboard, the particle effect and the sub mesh, so in other words everything
- I tested the flashlight in the model editor, and the physics are working pretty good, no problem
- BUT ... if I place the new flashlight entity in my map and try to load it, the game crashes Sad

Attached files:
- zip file with the flashlight files, the file "flashlight_hand.ent" is the entity I changed and attached a body to
- error log ( pretty unclear XD )
- hpl.log

I would appreciate if somebody could help me Big Grin.

EDIT:
Well, I got it working now Big Grin.
Apparently I just had to set some userdefined variables for the entity ( I changed it to "Item" and left the Sub Item "Puzzle" ).
The only problem that is left now is that the flashlight seems to fly away with the speed of light if I accidently walk over it XD. So, something with the physics seems to be a bit oversensitive. Is it possible to deactive physical interaction with the player? >_>

Attached Files
.zip   DigiByteFlashLight.zip (Size: 186.57 KB / Downloads: 87)
.log   errorlog-01-09-2012(14.30.54).log (Size: 29.44 KB / Downloads: 85)
.log   hpl.log (Size: 5.02 KB / Downloads: 86)
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2012, 04:03 PM by grasmann.)
09-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
RE: Custom Entity crashing game

(09-01-2012, 03:37 PM)grasmann Wrote: Hi

I got a problem here. I'm planning to create a total conversation, in an isolated folder, nice and clean.
So far so good, everything works how it should, with some starting problems that I already solved myself.

I added the "DigiByteFlashLight" and thought it was a great addition to the game, if I include the model into the isolated folder there isn't even anything replaced. Cool. The flashlight is actually working ... so no problem here.

If I place the lantern on the ground it still looks like the standard lantern from the game, but if I pick it up I have the modded flashlight. I think that's not yet acceptable. I want the flashlight to look like it even if it's lying on the ground.

So I opened the provided entity from "DigiByteFlashLight" in the model editor.
- I created a shape that fits the flashlight well enough and created a body from it
- I attached the two lights, the billboard, the particle effect and the sub mesh, so in other words everything
- I tested the flashlight in the model editor, and the physics are working pretty good, no problem
- BUT ... if I place the new flashlight entity in my map and try to load it, the game crashes Sad

Attached files:
- zip file with the flashlight files, the file "flashlight_hand.ent" is the entity I changed and attached a body to
- error log ( pretty unclear XD )
- hpl.log

I would appreciate if somebody could help me Big Grin.

EDIT:
Well, I got it working now Big Grin.
Apparently I just had to set some userdefined variables for the entity ( I changed it to "Item" and left the Sub Item "Puzzle" ).
The only problem that is left now is that the flashlight seems to fly away with the speed of light if I accidently walk over it XD. So, something with the physics seems to be a bit oversensitive. Is it possible to deactive physical interaction with the player? >_>
You could probably set the entity to have static physics, so it can't move.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Find
grasmann Offline

Threads: 2

(09-01-2012, 07:06 PM)Zaffre Wrote: You could probably set the entity to have static physics, so it can't move.
Thanks for the advice ... I was already thinking about that ... and I guess that's what I will do in the end.
I think the flashlight is just too small and buggs through the map or something like that Sad
09-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

You can increase the mass of the Flashlight body so that it won't fly away when you walk over it. You could also turn off player collision.

09-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Find