Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Monsters Thread
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
RE: Custom Monsters Thread

(09-03-2012, 03:09 PM)Statyk Wrote:
(09-03-2012, 02:49 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Didn't realize the worm was environment-specific animations. That explains why I had trouble putting it in-game. I have several story ideas for the worm, including the one I'm making.

Here's another small reveal of my story that I'm working on: As said before, depending on what you do early on depends on what story and monsters you get. The worm would be, if I had a working one, guarding the person you're after in a mansion.
What I mean by environment-specific is basically, at square one, the worm would be set up as Object::Static. He should not be an Enemy_Grunt. Think of Penumbra. Every place he was, had a special animation for it, according to how the caves were modeled and such. He did not "intelligently" chase the player like the Infected/Dogs would. If you were to get out of the map, I bet you he would simply go right passed as if you were actually there. They used clever map design and chase scenes and if you were to get too close, a script would call the player dead.

If you wanted him to traverse a mansion, you would have to properly set up a base environment in the 3D program (doesn't have to be exact) using planes and such, or even simply importing the wall assets. Then, after setting up the environment to where he will come out in the game, and his rig is complete, continue with the animation, working with the environment. When you're done, export the .dae and give it a name specific to the situation so you can remember, as wellas change the extension to .dae_anim. When he is placed in the level and you use void PlayPropAnimation to call the correct .dae_anim, he will traverse the level according to how you wanted. Simply use collide areas to have him "catch" the player.
Thank you very much for explaining how to use the worm! I had hoped it would chase you like the other monsters though. Considering my story will be the first one, I do not want to try something this complex to attempt. Now my story is flexible at this stage, so I don't have to have a worm. If you want, I can send you a private message of my story and have you the co-creator.
09-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Find