Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Video Game Marketing
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
Video Game Marketing

Hi. I'm in the queue for Mann vs. Machine on Team Fortress 2 and wanted to discuss something that's been on my mind recently. Ever since I saw War of the Immortals on Steam, I've realized that so many different games have unusual marketing techniques. One of the most prominent is revealing clothing or statements on ads, which cause gullible people to click them. Evony's ads started as a warrior shouting a battle cry, and now look. It's gone to the "lesbian just for you" approach.

So, what do you think? Have you noticed anything strange in the way that companies market games online?

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Video Game Marketing

yes. its mainly via Rap Music, Skimpy clad females (something i find Disgusting in the Extreme), lots of explosions, basically, anything that is going to catch the eye of any jock wannebe aged between 12 and 15, they dont say what features the game has, they dont show any story, just explosions and sex and rap. its horrible, puts me right off buying the game immediatly as i know its just gonna be a call of duty/gow/burnout clone, as thats how those games are also advertised. is cloning the gameplay not enough? now they have to clone the extremely, in my opinion, Thuggish! advertisment campaign.
09-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

"Strange"? Seems it worked since it started your mind running.
Usually the most regular stuff seems to be the most effective.

09-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(09-04-2012, 08:54 PM)Zaffre Wrote: Evony's ads started as a warrior shouting a battle cry, and now look. It's gone to the "lesbian just for you" approach.
I saw one the other day that said "You deserve a hot roman orgy TODAY."

Seriously WHAT THE FUCK.

Posting Freak
09-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Website Find
the dark side Offline

Exactly! Bring back the good old. "THIS IS SPARTA!" type yell, then show me the gameplay and give me a Blurb in audio form using the games OST or theme tune, dont show me naked flesh or big explosions and definatly dont use rap music!

because you do that, ill know its a COD clone AAA game because its being aimed at a thuggish, teenage, audience.

what is it the meme says? Do Not Want? well, that sums up my feeling to any game advertised that way immediatly.

you want to sell me the game, then show me the actuall bloomin gameplay!
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012, 09:24 PM by the dark side.)
09-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(09-04-2012, 09:24 PM)the dark side Wrote: Exactly! Bring back the good old. "THIS IS SPARTA!" type yell, then show me the gameplay and give me a Blurb in audio form using the games OST or theme tune, dont show me naked flesh or big explosions and definatly dont use rap music!

because you do that, ill know its a COD clone AAA game because its being aimed at a thuggish, teenage, audience.

what is it the meme says? Do Not Want? well, that sums up my feeling to any game advertised that way immediatly.

you want to sell me the game, then show me the actuall bloomin gameplay!
I dare you to make a post about video games without mentioning Call of Duty clones, AAA games, casual gamers, or EA. Frankly, it seems like every post you make is a rant about the exact same thing. Just something I'm sure many have noticed.

Anyhow, on topic, marketing is made for the masses. As anybody who's anybody knows, people (in general) are pretty dumb and much like sheep. Therefore, marketing the things that those people like (Sex, rap music, etc) you're going to draw in the larger crowd.
To be honest, if I watch a movie trailer that has a lot of explosions in it, I'm going to enjoy the trailer. I watch movies as entertainment and I, as well as others, heartily enjoy good explosions and the like. Maybe the movie will suck, but if I enjoy the trailer, I'll think to myself, "Hey, that trailer was alright. Maybe the movie will be too."
It's how marketing works, friends. Sure, it gets odd, but it works.

09-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Find
triadtimes Offline

Threads: 16

(09-04-2012, 09:16 PM)Kman Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 08:54 PM)Zaffre Wrote: Evony's ads started as a warrior shouting a battle cry, and now look. It's gone to the "lesbian just for you" approach.
I saw one the other day that said "You deserve a hot roman orgy TODAY."

Seriously WHAT THE FUCK.
You know what? You're right! I DO deserve a hot Roman orgy.

brb

09-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

obliviator, Read the profile, it will explain why i repeat myself. tolerate it please or kindly dont mention it.

if you can think of a better way i can explain, to a neurologically typical audience without getting them confused, please tell me. do NOT get nasty with me, i cannot help being autistic. i cannot help not being able to explain the problem without confusing the whole forum unless i use very simple, generalised sayings, that, even if they are repetative, allow the whole forum to understand what i am on about.

ill stop doing it when either the industry realises its dooming itself to another 1983 and stops it, or the industry crashes. im not going to sit and suffer in silence.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012, 09:51 PM by the dark side.)
09-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

I'm fine with your rants about AAA games and CoD clones because that really is what the games industry is today.

On Topic: Sometimes they have so much flashy colors it hurts to the eye. This is one of the reasons I installed Adblock Plus for Firefox. Now I don't have to put up with the ads. Please don't get me started on how ad views earn them money. As someone else said, I don't want to put up with naked flesh and rap music and explosions. I wonder what goes through the mind of people who actually click those ads. My guess is that they're below the age of fourteen.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(09-04-2012, 10:00 PM)Zaffre Wrote: I wonder what goes through the mind of people who actually click those ads.
"Oh hey, boobs are cool. Oh hey, explosions are pretty cool too. I wonder what this is."

Pretty much it.

Posting Freak
09-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Website Find