Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Swearing
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
Swearing

I don't know if I'm in the right section of the forum, but here comes my question.

Is it OK to swear in my custom story? I guess I have to warn people about it. And yet, I saw no warning when I played Justine, and of the men (forgot name) calls Justine a "bitch". I think it would sound more realistic if the players in my level are swearing...
Who get's chased by a monster, and doesn't swear?

So is it OK to release a custom story with swears?

Trying is the first step to success.
09-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: Swearing

Fuck no, dog! Swearing is for cunt-bags and *****-shits!
09-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

If "bitch" is the worst word you have heard from what FG dished out, then you have clearly not heard everything. Amnesia is rated M; why would swearing not be part of the reason for that rating?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Website Find
Posting Freak

I don't know. I wasn't able to finish Justine. But frictional games is allowed to swear in their game. Am I also? Do I have to put some kind of warning in my CS?

09-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

If you intend on using it, use it tastefully. If there is extreme emotion present (i.e. anger, sorrow, desperation) it is perfectly fine and can even add to the emotion and feeling you are trying to instill in the player. If FG can casually toss in:

Spoiler below!
"I'll kill you, you whore!"

...I don't think you can do too much worse. Just use it sparingly and steer clear of genuinely unpleasant terms (especially those regarding genitalia) and avoid anything you'd hear in a mainstream rap video.

Those darn youngins and their hippity-hoppity pop & lock music! Stay off my lawn!

I rate it 3 memes.
09-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Mostly what andy said. Also, make sure to not use swear words just for the sake of being cool. Using it awkwardly out of context can greatly reduce a custom story's overall feel in my opinion.

So, no F-bombs. Those tend to turn out hilarious which is usually not the intended effect.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Find
Posting Freak

Is "Shit" too 'new' to be used? As in
*Monster groan*
*Whisper* "Shit"

09-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(09-06-2012, 07:17 AM)beecake Wrote: Is "Shit" too 'new' to be used? As in
*Monster groan*
*Whisper* "Shit"
I think it's less about the language used and more about how it is said; if you can find a dynamite voice actor with tons of emotion, they could say:

*Monster groan*
*Whisper* "Oh Jolly-poppers..."

and it would still make the player feel uncomfortable. Still, "shit" isn't considered one of the classier of vulgar words. It all depends on the time period in which your mod is taking place in; if it is similar to Amnesia (mid 1800-ish), then don't use more recent vulgarities. If it is something more modern, use whatever you'd like, just don't be like Cry of Fear and use f-bombs senselessly and have bad voice acting to boot.

I'd suggest using something like damn or Jesus Christ (not technically a vulgar term, but I've seen quite a few people get butt hurt over that). People from the 1800's love them some religion, anything pertaining to that could work. Dialogue is a critical part of building up your character (assuming you want them to talk at all); just stay within the time period, and keep it consistent.

I rate it 3 memes.
09-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

Does...

WHAT THE DICK?! count as a curse word?

OR THIS?

Gray: Want to make out? In a totally hetero way?
Ishi: Hah!
Gray: That was a nervous chuckle. Either your human side gets the joke, or your robot side likes the way I look in these pants.
Ishi: Perhaps a little of both.

09-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-06-2012, 07:34 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: I'd suggest using something like damn or Jesus Christ (not technically a vulgar term, but I've seen quite a few people get butt hurt over that). People from the 1800's love them some religion, anything pertaining to that could work. Dialogue is a critical part of building up your character (assuming you want them to talk at all); just stay within the time period, and keep it consistent.
I remember when "I don't give a damn" was said in Gone with the Wind all those years ago, and everyone freaked out about it.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Find