Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The official ask Traggey thread.
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
The official ask Traggey thread.

Well as of late I've seen alot of complaining going on around the forums about the way I moderate, this is nothing unusual, I've moderated several other forums before including TheHiveWorkshop and L4Dmods and well, this happens all the time.

So instead of having people whine about it whenever I choose to lock a thread or ban a member I've decided to take it directly to you folks, tell me what you believe that I am doing wrong.

Now I'm not saying I'll actually take any of these things into consideration because quite frankly I don't deem my moderating methods as something bad at all, instead I will take some time to answer whatever you wish to ask the best way as possible, because behind every single little thing I do here on the forums there is a reason.

I am not paid to do this nor was I ''recruited'' to do so, a while after I joined the forums I noticed how quickly it was growing and offered my help to frictional, and they accepted, that is how I ended up reading through every single little post made on these forums day after day.

So fellas, hit me!
09-08-2012, 01:04 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: The official ask Traggey thread.

At what point during a thread's derailing do you decide to close it or otherwise intervene? Is there some systematic way you prefer or does it solely depend on the things being posted?

Also, what conditioner do you use to maintain your glorious head of hair?

I rate it 3 memes.
09-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

(09-08-2012, 01:11 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: At what point during a thread's derailing do you decide to close it or otherwise intervene? Is there some systematic way you prefer or does it solely depend on the things being posted?

Also, what conditioner do you use to maintain your glorious head of hair?
If a thread is posted in for example the off topic section I generally don't touch it at all, derailing and wacky stuff is to be expected from that section, most of the times when I close threads is because they've derailed so much that there is no discussion going on about the main topic of the thread at all.
I get plenty of private messages from thread creators asking me to close threads because they're simply too out of wack, in some cases I simply close the thread for about a day or so to let it cool off.

PS: I don't actually use conditioner, nor do I brush my hair, ever.
It's just like that.
09-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

I know this is off topic but I'd be funny if this thread ended up having to be locked in the end.

But anyhow. I personally have no complaints about your moderation, and sometimes its true that discussions end up going way off topic, even at the off topic section. so keep up the good work and makes us proud you grate man, women... whatever you wanna be you old champ!
09-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Website Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

How long have you been a mod?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is a typical daily schedule for you?

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

To what extent do you support back-seat modding AKA people who are trying to judge people for what should happen to a post that seems to be breaking rules?

Also, what are your views on "quote trains", where a single post has multiple overlapping quotes inside quotes from previous posts in it?

Example:
Quote:Insert text here
Quote:More things
Quote:Stuff

I'll voice a bit of my personal opinion on this. I'm not supportive of back-seat modding. I think that reporting bad posts can do just fine, while replying with "Lock this thread plz" will only serve to add to the clutter. I have a similar thought on quote trains, as I think it can become messy very quickly. I think single quotes should more than suffice in most situations. I'll still leave this to the mods to decide though, and I'll respect their decision.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2012, 07:26 AM by Kreekakon.)
09-08-2012, 05:57 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Honestly I have no idea for how long I've been a mod, about a month or two after I joined the forum I believe.

My daily schedule is very much 24/7 infront of my PC, either working with my artsy stuff or just faffing about.
I always have the forum open on one of my screens to update from time to time, aslong as I'm awake that is.

About back-seat modding, I really just ignore it.
If people actually report posts then yeah, I have a look and see what the complaint is about.

Edit: Oh, and the quotes within quotes within quotes can be quite tedious if they get too long, usually when I see these I just edit that stuff out.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM by Traggey.)
09-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

Traggey: when learning a programming language do you think it is best to start by learning with a book or using various tutorials?

09-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-08-2012, 01:45 PM)darkely Wrote: Traggey: when learning a programming language do you think it is best to start by learning with a book or using various tutorials?
Well Traggey's not here yet, so I'll offer my own insight on this for the time being. I think that tutorials, and messing around with the program yourself is more than enough to suffice. If you run into more specific issues Google will usually solve the problem. I personally never touched a book about programming in my life.

EDIT: Wait wasn't this supposed to be a thread about Traggey's modding ways?

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2012, 02:47 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

Last programming book I read tried to teach me int, bool, float, string, and the like over the course of about five chapters. So I think books are unreliable.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Find