Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

should i get penumbra if amnesia scared the sh*t out of me?
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
RE: should i get penumbra if amnesia scared the sh*t out of me?

(09-04-2012, 12:43 PM)Scraper Wrote: Should you get it: Yes.
Does it have disturbing stuff: Not really.
Basically, ^ sums the answer up.

Nap time for this thread. The answer's right here.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM by Robby.)
09-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

I think, Penumbra is even a bit more disturbing than Amnesia.
Amnesia seems a bit cosy compared to Penumbra (mainly Black Plague).
The Shelter corridors are even more scary than Brennenburg Castle, but Amnesia has a bit more melancholic horror. Both are different horror games, but scary as hell.
But at all, I think Penumbra was the better experience and it has by far better puzzles.
Also Overture is scary enough to scare your pants off. And the atmosphere is always more oppressive than Amnesia. Looks more realistic, more plausible and the player felt more in a forbidden place.
09-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-04-2012, 09:11 PM)Googolplex Wrote: I think, Penumbra is even a bit more disturbing than Amnesia.
Penumbra does not have pictures of men hung upside getting sawn in half. It has nothing as disturbing as the torture rooms, not really anything to compare to that either.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
09-05-2012, 05:21 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(09-05-2012, 05:21 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Penumbra does not have pictures of men hung upside getting sawn in half. It has nothing as disturbing as the torture rooms, not really anything to compare to that either.
I agree with Googol in the sense that the Penumbra series was much more relatable; for me, that's a key part of the horror genre (at least if you want to truly scare someone*). The Sixth Sense for example: now every time I get goose-bumps (American terminology, I'm not sure how well that will translate to non-English speakers), I get a certain uneasiness. Or whateverthehell that movie was called where you check your voice mail and its the sound you make when you die, stuff like that is really personal and really gets in your head (I'm still uneasy about checking my voice mail xD).

* = When I say "truly scare" I mean instilling in someone a small fear that lingers with them outside of the game; something that can easily relate to a persons every day life and put them on edge.

Although Penumbra didn't hit as close to home for me, it still feels way more relatable than Amnesia. The torture part of your argument I will disagree with; yes it is rather disturbing, but no one from this century can relate to it. After throwing pieces of a human body into the water for the Kaernk to snack on, I didn't get much out of the torture part.

Things I am personally terrified of: large (feral/aggressive) dogs, and bugs/spiders. Those two fears alone made Penumbra way more personal and scary for me. I will also say I am biased towards Penumbra, it was my first "real" horror game. The only game prior to that was Bioshock, and although it had its moments, it isn't even the same genre.

I rate it 3 memes.
09-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(09-05-2012, 05:21 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Penumbra does not have pictures of men hung upside getting sawn in half. It has nothing as disturbing as the torture rooms, not really anything to compare to that either.
The separated head in Black Plague, the separated hand, the embryos of Infected, the monsters itself, the mental realm horror parts etc.

Horror is not to show how someone gets tortured, horror needs a bit more to be effective enough.
Amnesia was EXTREME scary, but the feeling of "danger" was an important aspect in Penumbra.
I never felt save in Penumbra, and the infected (especially the one in the computer room) are the scariest monsters in Frictional universe. Amnesia was more cruel, but Penumbra was more brain paranoia.
09-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

TeeHee, we're not going nap time like Nemet wants.
09-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(09-05-2012, 08:55 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: TeeHee, we're not going nap time like Nemet wants.
It's not that I want "nap time" to happen just because I want it. There's a reason for that. "What is it?" you ask. Check post #11.

No reason to continue this conversation because the answer is so obvious.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012, 08:27 AM by Robby.)
09-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

You should definitely get it. It has scares aplenty, and more story than Amnesia.
09-09-2012, 04:36 AM
Find
Hybelkaninen Offline

Threads: 0

On-topic: Yes, Penumbra is absolutely worth it.
Off-topic: the Penumbra games aren't as disturbing as Amnesia ? Well, what are you guys putting into "as disturbing as" ?
A few disturbing things in Penumbra are for example:
Spoiler below!

The guy eating spiders and have to amputate his tongue and later you find his tongue which is massive.
Burning Red...ALIVE just standing there listening to his screams.
The "invisible" writings on the wall.
Corpses whispering "Help me"
Clarence being a complete mind f**k altering doors and hallways.
Crushing an innocent woman with a crate because Clarence was...again mind f*****g you while listening to him laughing and taunting you.
To name a few.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2012, 04:10 AM by Hybelkaninen.)
11-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Find