Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Custom Story Help
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Question  New Custom Story Help

I've had to, temporarily, stop production of one story in favor of a better and more do able one. As some of you may know, I've wanted my first story to stand out, to do something that others have not done before. I've got one already in my new story, and another one planned. While I'm still working on it, I have a few questions that will need to be answered.

1: How can I make an intro and ending video? I'm not at this point yet, but it would be good to know. If I made a video that comprised of images and text, what file type does it need to be?

2: Now I will need a Grey Rock Worm to work in Amnesia. Statyk started to explain how to do it in Amnesia, but I would like more step-by-step details on how to do it in case others went to have a worm as well.
09-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: New Custom Story Help

1. Are you referring to making a trailer, or a cinematic event in game? If you're looking to create something in game, there are tons of unique camera and movement functions available that can help make a high quality intro/outro event. Amnesia is not compatible with any video files; every event like that you see in a mod is simply clever camera tricks.

A few of the functions off the top of my head:

- FadeOut
- StartPlayerLookAt
- FadeIn
- Fade
- FadePlayerRollTo
- MovePlayerHeadPos
- SetPlayerCrouching

I'm sure there are many others, but thats all I can immediately think of. I'd suggest checking out the wiki page for more functions.

2. Idk. I don't model or animate.

I rate it 3 memes.
09-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Find
Datguy5 Offline

Threads: 25

If i remember correct,there is a rock worm in one amnesia custom story.Saw a video of it quite a while ago so i unfortunately dont remember the name :/

09-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-08-2012, 09:38 PM)Datguy5 Wrote: If i remember correct,there is a rock worm in one amnesia custom story.Saw a video of it quite a while ago so i unfortunately dont remember the name :/
I seem to remember two, White Night and Tenebris Lake, but they do not operate like the Worm in Penumbra.
09-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

Threads: 20

That custom story that had "Dead Miners", also had a Rock Worm... it looked pretty good professional there.

Confusion: a Custom Story - Ch1 for play!
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-15477.html
About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
09-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-09-2012, 09:42 AM)Theforgot3n1 Wrote: That custom story that had "Dead Miners", also had a Rock Worm... it looked pretty good professional there.
I haven't heard about that one! Can you give the link to this custom story? I'd love to see how the worm is done there!
09-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-09-2012, 02:54 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I haven't heard about that one! Can you give the link to this custom story? I'd love to see how the worm is done there!
I "think" he was talking about Tenebris Lake.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-09-2012, 03:03 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 02:54 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I haven't heard about that one! Can you give the link to this custom story? I'd love to see how the worm is done there!
I "think" he was talking about Tenebris Lake.
Will have to wait until he logs in. Tenebris Lake did take the Worm a step further than anyone I'd seen. (While I hadn't played the story, I took a peek at the worm in a test area of my own). This Worm includes one of his animations from Black Plague: attacking from a wall then moving away.
09-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

Threads: 20

Maybe it was Tenebris lake? I just remember that map simultaneously had dead miners lying down (then rising up). If you've played it, don'tcha remember da "zombies"?

Sorry for giving you hope if I'm wrong... Sad

Confusion: a Custom Story - Ch1 for play!
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-15477.html
About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
09-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Website Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

I know how to create intro and outro animations, but I need to know whether you want to do it via game engine or if you want to import video. IF I recall, HPL doesn't support video, thus you'll have to do it in game.

Now for the headache part... If you want to have the player character be seen, you'll have to have a camera that is separate from the character you will have to animate. You will have to fully rig a character (even if you have an ingame model, so you can give it custom animations). Next you have to animate it. When the character is now in the game engine, you'll have to set up the scene so you can "film" your character and what he's interacting with. This might be a huge hassle.

The easiest way is to have the camera in with the arm models (default) and just do what the developers did with the grunts at the end of the game (capturing you and putting you in jail). Be sure to focus on the important aspects of the scene and storyboard out your scene before you create it!!!! I cannot stress that enough!

So there are two options:
-custom rig, custom animation, tons of preplanning
-in game rigs, in game animation, a little bit of planning

If there is a third option, I'm either too lazy to think of it right now or too tired. I might be able to help with storyboarding/ animation if you give me time. I have a lot of work on my hands right now (I'm making my own mod/ CS ). As always, GOOD LUCK!

PM me if you need any suggestions or help!

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
09-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Find