Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Need help finding performance issues in my custom story
go.go Offline

Threads: 2
Need help finding performance issues in my custom story

Me and my cousin are currently working on our first serious custom story, however, we have run into a couple of problems that we aren't sure how to fix. The biggest being that I get a horrible frame rate whenever playing the map or opening it in the Level editor.

We have looked at this and we are still unable to find the problem.

I would be really happy if some experienced modders could take a look at the map and see what may be causing the bad frame rate. Problems that could take weeks for us to solve might take no more than a few minutes for someone with more experience.

My computer specs are the following:
HD 5770
AMD Phenom II 965 (Quad Core at 3,4GHz)
4GB RAM

I get 10-15 fps when playing the map.

Finally, here is the map for you to download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c31hhoah7a9l6i1
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2012, 08:10 PM by go.go.)
09-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
RE: Need help finding performance issues in my custom story

I'll play the map myself to see what's going on. I will edit this post.

EDIT: Played it, 42 FPS, massive lag at start for 5 seconds, nothing else.

PC specs coming up.
Nvidia Geforce 9500GT DDR2
2GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Athlon II x2 250 Regor (dual core 3.0ghz)

The reason for the massive lag at the beginning is the physics. Can't do much bout that one.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2012, 08:09 PM by Robby.)
09-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Website Find
go.go Offline

Yeah I kinda figured the massive lag at the beginning was due to the physics, I have 10-15 fps the whole time though and no idea why.
09-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

(09-12-2012, 08:09 PM)go.go Wrote: Yeah I kinda figured the massive lag at the beginning was due to the physics, I have 10-15 fps the whole time though and no idea why.
The whole time?!
I have a weaker PC and I run at 42 FPS. Try turning SSAO and Edge Smoothing off if you have them active!

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Website Find
go.go Offline

Yeah the whole time. Both SSAO and Edge Smoothing are turned off, and even at lowest settings i get bad frame rate. My drivers are also up to date.

At first I thought the problem was that my computer was too bad to handle the map, but now I really have no clue why I get such bad frame rate. Playing the original game at 60fps is no problem whatsoever.
09-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

I don't know. 42FPS over here. Double-checked. Resolution at 800x600. Shadows down, SSAO down, Edge Smoothing down, and I think that's it.

And my PC's weaker. Apply Global Fog to the map (Make sure the thickness is exactly 1, and occlusion culling enabled. That should reduce the lag).

09-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Website Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

Threads: 20

Sounds like one of the really complicated problems... Is it only your CS that is lagging?

Confusion: a Custom Story - Ch1 for play!
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-15477.html
About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Website Find
Tomato Cat Offline

I think it might be due to the compounds in the kitchen and cellar areas having all of those plates attached to them. =o

Sweet map, btw.

RAISE YOUR DONGERS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2012, 08:31 PM by Tomato Cat.)
09-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

[Image: SNTUxh.jpg] [Image: Ur6kuh.jpg] [Image: nAXIph.jpg] [Image: 1BxaAh.jpg]
1.you got toom much detail dude, its nice that you put stuff in the closets, drawers and such, but dont spam in there
2. try not to use to many round/organic items, they use many more polygons(tris) and thats just how it is, so when you can get away with it, still having the scene look pretty use some more blocky objects.
3. Try to use static objects, or generally just objects that dont use physics, having so many objects use
physics at once obviously murders your computer, im surprised i was able to run this at all(low settings)
4.in this kind of map it is also good to limit the amount of lights and other things that affect the environment.
5. detail is important so your environment wont look empty, but that does not mean you have to bump stuff into every corner of every room in your map. you must prioritize and put in the detail where its visible, fx. not under the staircase where its hidden.

and yes, I am sorry for not placing my images in those spoiler thingies, but i could not figure out how.
09-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

[b]martinnord[/b] :
1.you got toom much detail dude, its nice that you put stuff in the closets, drawers and such, but dont spam in there
2. try not to use to many round/organic items, they use many more polygons(tris) and thats just how it is, so when you can get away with it, still having the scene look pretty use some more blocky objects.
3. Try to use static objects, or generally just objects that dont use physics, having so many objects use
physics at once obviously murders your computer, im surprised i was able to run this at all(low settings)
4.in this kind of map it is also good to limit the amount of lights and other things that affect the environment.
5. detail is important so your environment wont look empty, but that does not mean you have to bump stuff into every corner of every room in your map. you must prioritize and put in the detail where its visible, fx. not under the staircase where its hidden.

---------

I wholly agree. If you have access to a modeling program, make models that look like the bunches that you want in the cabinet. If not, use less detail.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
09-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Find