Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First New Custom Story----Beneath the Ice!
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
RE: First New Custom Story----Beneath the Ice!

(09-16-2012, 08:34 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Umm... you forgot to mention what kind of texture you want and how big the model will be in the game. So since its a statue, I just threw a tileable rock texture on it that I happened to have lying around. Its a 2048² map, which might be a bit oversized, but I thought a rockworm statue is probably pretty huge, right?

It might not fit perfectly color-wise, I mean I don't know what your level looks like... anyway I made a folder with all the textures, the .mat and an .ent file for you, that you should be able to open and edit with Model Editor. If you wanted something special for the texture instead, tell me...

Rock Worm Statue

btw. the topology on that worm is the strangest thing I've ever seen. I'm sure Frictional knew what they were doing, but I'd really love to know the reason for that...
First off, that waas me putting a 'body' on the statue. I was afraid of the player traveling through it so I made put those on it. Sorry I should have mentioned that.

I just looked at the contents of the zip you gave and wow! That's amazing! That's exactly what I wanted! Thanks a bunch pal!

EDIT: in the Model Editor it's fine, but in the Level Editor it's invisible again. Not sure what's going on.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2012, 09:02 PM by The Rock Worm.)
09-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

You're welcome. If I click on that test model button at the bottom of the model editor, it's invisible too. I've no idea why... I should also mention that my model viewer crashes whenever I try to load a file into it that I've exported. Dunno, you might want to try that out, too...might be something wrong with my maya version or the exporter. :/
09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

While making my story, I've encountered a problem. i have it that you climb down to the city deep underground, but if I just fall (in real life I should die from such a height) I'm still alive (though badly wounded). Any thoughts on how to fix this?
09-17-2012, 02:17 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

Just have a few script areas.
One that kills you when you enter it (On the bottom.)

And then have one that deactivates the bottom script area at a reasonable fall height.

09-17-2012, 02:30 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-17-2012, 02:30 AM)Obliviator27 Wrote: Just have a few script areas.

And then have one that deactivates the bottom script area at a reasonable fall height.
Sounds good, but a little complicated considering my area. If the player is climbing down to the tallest building in this area. Even if you climbed to the top, the player could still just jump off the top to the bottom.
09-17-2012, 03:10 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-17-2012, 03:10 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Sounds good, but a little complicated considering my area. If the player is climbing down to the tallest building in this area. Even if you climbed to the top, the player could still just jump off the top to the bottom.
Well, it's simpler if you aren't intending for the player to be able to get to ground level. In that case just use a script area which will kill the player when touched.

If he will be able to get to ground level it will be a tad more complicated as he will be able to touch the "death" script while on the ground.

You can get around this by putting another script area in mid air near the top of the building. If the player falls, and touches that, start a timer. Mess around with it, so that if the player touches the "death script" under a given amount of time after touching the mid air script, he will automatically be killed.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2012, 03:19 AM by Kreekakon.)
09-17-2012, 03:19 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-17-2012, 03:19 AM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(09-17-2012, 03:10 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Sounds good, but a little complicated considering my area. If the player is climbing down to the tallest building in this area. Even if you climbed to the top, the player could still just jump off the top to the bottom.
Well, it's simpler if you aren't intending for the player to be able to get to ground level. In that case just use a script area which will kill the player when touched.

If he will be able to get to ground level it will be a tad more complicated as he will be able to touch the "death" script while on the ground.

You can get around this by putting another script area in mid air near the top of the building. If the player falls, and touches that, start a timer. Mess around with it, so that if the player touches the "death script" under a given amount of time after touching the mid air script, he will automatically be killed.
I do intend the player to be on the ground, as I want him/her to explore around and in the city. I was thinking of changing the gravity or the fall damage in the config file. What would those do in comparison to the kill player script?
09-17-2012, 03:40 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-17-2012, 03:40 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I do intend the player to be on the ground, as I want him/her to explore around and in the city. I was thinking of changing the gravity or the fall damage in the config file. What would those do in comparison to the kill player script?
Well, your title says custom story, so I assume you're making one of those. I don't have much experience with this, but I know that if you want to change values like that, you'll need a full conversion.

Also, using a kill player script can be more specific as to what you want the game world to be like. Like for instance if you wanted the player to fall a similar amount of height , and NOT die, the values changed in a FC would hinder that.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(09-17-2012, 03:10 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(09-17-2012, 02:30 AM)Obliviator27 Wrote: Just have a few script areas.

Sounds good, but a little complicated considering my area. If the player is climbing down to the tallest building in this area. Even if you climbed to the top, the player could still just jump off the top to the bottom.
If you're starting on the bottom, just do the same thing. When you climb into a certain height, it activates the script area that will kill you. When you climb back down, deactivate the kill area.
This way, you can Kill the player when he hits the ground.
Really not that complicated.

09-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

I was going to keep it a secret, but I think I may need some advice. Due to wanting to keep a surprise for you the players, I can't say to much.

So, how do I convert a *.dae file to *.ps? The purpose is a secret, but if possible would be great for my story.
09-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Find