Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First New Custom Story----Beneath the Ice!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: First New Custom Story----Beneath the Ice!

Well I'm no expert, so I might be way off here, but a quick glance at the Amnesia Wiki tells me that .ps files are used to set up particle systems and are thus created with the particle editor.

So unless my logic is completely failing me here: you can't convert a 3d mesh into a particle effect. It simply makes no sense. You might be able to make a particle emitter spawn meshes if HPL supports that kind of thing, but I'm pretty sure you'd still have to use the particle editor for that.

I also doubt that you can convert a particle effect you created in Blender and saved as a .dae file into a .ps file. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never heard of an engine that can import particle effects - they're always created with some sort of editor that comes with the engine itself.

Or maybe you meant something entirely different and I'm rambling nonsense again. I do that sometimes Big Grin
09-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(09-18-2012, 12:41 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Well I'm no expert, so I might be way off here, but a quick glance at the Amnesia Wiki tells me that .ps files are used to set up particle systems and are thus created with the particle editor.

So unless my logic is completely failing me here: you can't convert a 3d mesh into a particle effect. It simply makes no sense. You might be able to make a particle emitter spawn meshes if HPL supports that kind of thing, but I'm pretty sure you'd still have to use the particle editor for that.

I also doubt that you can convert a particle effect you created in Blender and saved as a .dae file into a .ps file. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never heard of an engine that can import particle effects - they're always created with some sort of editor that comes with the engine itself.

Or maybe you meant something entirely different and I'm rambling nonsense again. I do that sometimes Big Grin
You have a good point there. I could probably make particles to look like a monster, for example, but not convert one into a particle. Hopefully I can make what i was trying to convert. Thanks Big Grin
09-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Don't know what exactly you are planning, but maybe you could make an invisible mesh (either with no material on it or, if that causes crashes, a material with a completely black alpha) and stick several particle systems to it... looking at the options the mesh editor provides that seems to be possible. Might be easier than trying to get one particle system to make the shape of a monster!

Let's say for example you want to have a humanoid figure made out of black smoke: you could make a particle system that creates some puffs of smoke and then plaster several copies of it all over the surface of an invisible humanoid mesh.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2012, 03:01 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
09-18-2012, 03:00 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-18-2012, 03:00 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Don't know what exactly you are planning, but maybe you could make an invisible mesh (either with no material on it or, if that causes crashes, a material with a completely black alpha) and stick several particle systems to it... looking at the options the mesh editor provides that seems to be possible. Might be easier than trying to get one particle system to make the shape of a monster!

Let's say for example you want to have a humanoid figure made out of black smoke: you could make a particle system that creates some puffs of smoke and then plaster several copies of it all over the surface of an invisible humanoid mesh.
That's a great idea! I love it! I will have to work on it and see how it comes out.

Don't worry, you will love it when you see it.
09-18-2012, 03:35 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Hey! I think I found out why you couldn't see the statue model I send you in the Level Editor...and why it crashed my Model View. (some stupid mistake on my part with texture linking in the Maya file and blah...) I fixed it and made a new version. Here, replace the folder you have with this new one and tell me if it works now:
New Rock Worm Statue

Sorry about that :/
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2012, 04:00 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
09-18-2012, 04:00 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-18-2012, 04:00 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Hey! I think I found out why you couldn't see the statue model I send you in the Level Editor...and why it crashed my Model View. (some stupid mistake on my part with texture linking in the Maya file and blah...) I fixed it and made a new version. Here, replace the folder you have with this new one and tell me if it works now:
New Rock Worm Statue

Sorry about that :/
It worked!!! I not only saw it in the Level Editor but also the area itself! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Big Grin.

I am greatly happy that you got it to work! I will eagerly put it to use in the story, and give you full credits on putting it in Amnesia.

On another note, I don't think I will use the particle system monster. I think I will get the monster to work another way (I will PM you on my story idea).
09-18-2012, 04:43 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

new version of "Beneath the Ice--Chapter 1: The Ruins"

Thanks to [b]crisosphinx [/b]for inspiring me. In the past I thought I needed a big story to be able to stand out amongst the other made stories. Something small but unique would still be great, and okay for me to make.

To that end, I'm modifying my story to be 'better' but still good. To all you know of this project and were helping me, i could still use the help. I plan on using the monster that was going to be part of the old story for the new version.
09-19-2012, 02:48 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

First Screenshot of "Beneath the Ice--Chapter 1: The Ruins"

I'm still early in production, but I wanted to show off one teaser image of my new story. Big thanks to Hirnwirbel for the statues.
.jpg   Beneath-the-Ice_Chapter1-TheRuins.jpg (Size: 198.15 KB / Downloads: 170)
09-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

The custom story would be interesting. You just need to make sure you can create the proper atmosphere.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Website Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Wow! Wouldn't have thought that my simple statue solution could look so dramatic in the game ^^ HPLs lighting is really something to behold. Well I hope I'll be allowed to test your first version soon Big Grin
09-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Find