Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
The meaning of Parameters
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: The meaning of Syntaxes

I'm used to smileys Smile
In a text message without smileys, it's hard to define in which way the message is supposed to be understood... That's how i feel it Wink

And to me it's like this:

: ) = "I'm friendly. Not angry in any way"
; ) = "You know right?"
: P = "I'm joking / It was a joke / Mehe / If you know what i mean..."
: D = "I find this funny / Yay"
: ( = "This is not making me happy / This makes me unhappy"
:' ( = "I'm sad"
D: = "I don't know what to do!"

But of course it's all about the situation

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2012, 04:10 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
11-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Since its been bumped, I know YC already pointed this out but perhaps not clearly enough - this is not the meaning of Syntax. This is useful information to be sure, beecake. Thanks. But to anyone that is interested in programming - Syntax is as YC put it, the rules of the language. What you describe here is what is known as 'Parameters'.

For example, AngelScript is based on the C++ 'syntax', meaning its use of certain keywords (like variable declarations int, float, string or function declarations like void, int, string etc), the way you assign or compare values (like '=', '==', '&&' etc) or the way you type strings (e.g. badstring, "goodstring") are very similar if not in most cases, the same.

In contrast, parameters are where you have things like
void Function(string &in ThisIsAParameter)

The reason it is referred to as the 'callback syntax' on the wiki is because typing in the correct parameters (like 'void Timer(string &in asTimer)') is a syntax issue - get it wrong and you have used the incorrect syntax because you wrote the parameters wrong, like 'void Timer(int asTimer)'.
Another example of a syntax issue related to this would be AddTimer(ThisStringDoesntHaveQuotationMarks!, 1, "ThisStringIsMissingAQuotationMark!);
because you did not write the language correctly, its like a spelling/grammer mistake, you need " surrounding a string

For anyone who frankly doesn't give a crap about programming except as much as they need to script their maps, please disregard all of the above and enjoy the information beecake has very kindly provided Smile (note: correct use of smiley conforms to beecake's forum syntax, as set out above)
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM by Adrianis.)
11-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

YES YES THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
11-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Thanks! Smile I will rename the title now Wink

Trying is the first step to success.
12-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6