Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Script Help Load autosave on death?
Chronogyros Offline

Threads: 9
Load autosave on death?

I don't like how when the player dies, you just respawn and go along your way as if nothing happened. Is there a way to load an autosave when player dies, this way he/she has to re-do the part where they died?

I tried messing with checkpoints, but that only spawns a player in a certain spot after death.

Any ideas?

Emma's Story Part II 100% Complete
09-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Load autosave on death?

If you tried the checkpoint and all it does is spawn the player on a certain spot, then you didn't make use of the callback to reset the stage.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Website Find
Chronogyros Offline

Correct. Right now my callback is empty because I'm not sure what to put in there that will reset the stage.

The hard way, off the top of my head, would probably be to use resetprop, remove items, setplayer heath, etc etc...

Any ideas on an easier approach?

Emma's Story Part II 100% Complete
09-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

^

I don't think so. There's no "load auto save" function there, if I think correctly.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Website Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

From what I recall, and I'm not a programmer, HPL2 Engine doesn't support autosave. However, you can mimic this by setting a call back for the checkpoint. If you wish not to use a callback & checkpoint at all, you could spend a ton of time investing research (mostly you trying to make an autosave or some type of thing that like) into creating an autosave system or a specific "user-made" callback system that works as an autosave feature, which, if you're not a full-time programmer, may cause you a ton of trouble.

Aside from that, if I recall, the reason they did the checkpoints was merely as a way to not only punish the player for dying, but clear errors that may have developed AND provide a do-over for the section of the game the player was having trouble with (hopefully to scare them again).

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
09-21-2012, 04:07 AM
Find
Vic7im Offline

I have an idea.

What if you make a script where "if" the player's health gets ≤ 1 or 2 he "dies" aka gets teleported in another level, the "loading room". There he simply opens a level door which will teleport him back to the level he died.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2012, 02:08 PM by Vic7im.)
09-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Find