Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Small Question
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
Small Question

I've noticed recently that a lot of famous YouTubers put the titles of their videos in capitals. For instance, PewDiePie's older Amnesia playthrough has the title "Windy Doors". Now you will see "AMNESIA FINALLY MADE ME GO INSANE ;_;", like it's screaming it out at you. Why is this done?

Note that I only used PewDiePie as a reference. I am NOT putting him down.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
RE: Small Question

I think it's to get attention, nothing more. A video with full caps in its title does tend to attract my attention more in the "related videos" section.

[Image: p229xcq]
09-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Because CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL. Also, with the tiny brains we humans have, our eyes automatically jump to that part of the title because it is so contrasting to the rest of it. Most people don't want to read out:

Amnesia : The Dark Descent Custom Story - PDP Jumpscares- Let's Play - Actual Title of the Video - Part 1

So instead I assume it would be better like:

Amnesia : The Dark Descent Custom Story - PDP Jumpscares- Let's Play - Actual Title of the Video - Part 1

I rate it 3 memes.
09-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

I see your point, but to me it just seems unprofessional and advertises that you're in it for the views.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil. Advertising, regardless of how annoying, actually does work. Putting "Grey mod episode 3" as your title doesn't really say anything about the nature of what they are watching. Putting "THE EYEES!! White Night episode(I forget)" makes it stand out.

It may seem counter intuitive to do the same thing everyone else is doing to "stand out" but it draws attention, and that's the point. Sorry if it annoys you. I try to make good content as well, but I'm a naturally timid person and have a shitty budget to work with(so I use bargain-bin tech) so it's hard.

I've stopped Using all caps but a catching headline is important, especially when there are thousands of let's players doing the same thing.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-21-2012, 02:46 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Personally I have nothing against capital letters - if it's done right.
These whole title capitals are the ones that I don't like.

But in the end, it pretty much has to be done if you want to stand out from the horde of videos and attract new viewers.

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2012, 01:48 PM by Yuhaney.)
09-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Website Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

It just seems like a dick move to me. If you have hundreds of thousands of subscribers, you wouldn't need to make your titles in capital letters because your subscribers already get the videos in their upload box. In my honest opinion it drowns out the smaller channels to the point where they're lucky to get over a hundred views on new videos.

Take PewDiePie. He's very popular, with over two million subscribers. But look at his older videos. His first Amnesia video is titled "Amnesia: Playthrough Part: 1 - Windy Doors" because he noticed that the doors were opening on their own. I would guess he had around five hundred thousand subscribers at the time. This video has about ninety seven hundred thousand views at the time of this post.

Now look at one of his newer videos. One of his more modern ones has the title "STEPHANO GUIDES THE WAY! Cry of Fear - Custom Maps - Part 2". You'll notice that the first part of the video is all capitalized. This is because the first part of the title you see is, well, the first words. It's like it's yelling at you that a golden statue guides PewDiePie at the top of its lungs.

Compare this to one of my videos. "PVK Shenanigans: Episode 2". I've capitalized PVK because it is the initials for Pirates, Vikings, and Knights. A better example would be "Minecraft: Floodgates". The entire title is not capitalized. If I had it as "MINECRAFT: FLOODGATES ARE AWESOME! Minecraft Tutorial", I may have gotten more views because I'm taking attention away from other channels.

So, in a nutshell, I think that capitalizing video titles takes away popularity and attention from smaller channels, and discourage the practice of it.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2012, 12:02 AM by Zaffre.)
09-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

The problem is that you're nitpicking on something that is virtually impossible to control. Unless youtube somehow puts a filter on videos with a certain string of Caps Lock in a row in its title (which would make acronyms impossible), there is no way you can stop this from happening.

[Image: p229xcq]
09-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

a {text-transform:lowercase;}

Problem solved.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Website Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(09-29-2012, 01:15 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
a {text-transform:lowercase;}

Problem solved.
But then you couldn't capitalize sentences.

To do it properly, you'd need a text parser, but you can only find those on Endor.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Find