Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Learning stuff?
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Learning stuff?

Okay, so how to UV-map, texturing, how to tile a texture, creating bumpy floors & my thoughts on the level editor (?) Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

09-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

I'd like to help make some, Acies! Or maybe we can split up the work ;]

I mean, I've already contributed to some of the most difficult problems on this thread, concerning model editor and viewer errors/ crashes/ etc. with models, textures and animation...

But, I'd still like to help out the community.

Since my profession is 3D/ CGI and I really feel like helping the community out, I figured it's just a good situation (I'm really good with UVing, modelings and texturing... and I guess animation, too, since I was one of the only people on this entire forum who figured it out 100%, and the only one to write tutorials for the Maya/ Max exporting animation).

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2012, 06:02 PM by crisosphinx.)
09-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Awesome!

We could organize it all in a thread - where we hog first + second post. I can start by going over the level editor while you go through some UV-mapping + whatever else you find the time for. I'd also suggest that, if possible, you'd make it a video (otherwise we'd end up with a zillion images).

Also curious to know how long you have been working with 3D/see your portfolio? Smile

09-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

http://jeff3DSculpt.daportfolio.com

Officially one year (and this is stuff relating to everything but CAD), however, I've memorized about 90-95% of Maya's functions, all of Zbrush, working on learning 3DS Max, I worked for about 2 years with AutoCAD and AutoCAD Architecture. I know a lot about UV Layout and I just got a job for a 3D Real-Time Rendering company (RTT) that does many of the Magazine ads and a portion of the CG vehicle ads on TV. The program I'm learning is similar to Maya, but without any of the creation stuff (it's called DeltaGen).

I've mostly been working on AD related 3D (2k x 2k UV maps). Game related work is a little new to me, but it's the same process. It just depends on the exporting of files and how they run with engines.

Since I use to have a Mac, I'm not familiar with video programs that I can use to capture on screen material for Windows. Know any (aside from Livestream of course)? :]

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
09-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(09-22-2012, 04:46 PM)Statyk Wrote: UV mapping depends on what program you're talking about. Maya, 3DS Max, or Blender?
Autodesk Maya would be nice Big Grin

I rate it 3 memes.
09-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

I can explain and do a tutorial extremely well on UVing in Maya. Simple.

09-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Ok, where would one even start to learn the very basics of what you do?

I'm studying Computing and in the future i'll be doing a little programming and coding but not much...I think it could help along side college?

[Image: luv.gif]
09-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

(09-23-2012, 06:33 PM)Lucke Wrote: Ok, where would one even start to learn the very basics of what you do?

I'm studying Computing and in the future i'll be doing a little programming and coding but not much...I think it could help along side college?
The basics of amnesia scripting? Or modeling?

09-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

There isn't a lot of theoretical learning stuff, which I think is equally important to the technical. Game design, level design, environment design. General topics that need to be covered.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

i know that this is not related to amnesia modding aldigheri, its just a question on game programming..

are some graphics and physics engines limited to certain level design and gameplay schools? or does they just handle rendering and environment physics?

ie, if you took say, an incredibly powerfull modern engine, such as say, "Cryengine 3", (albiet modified with tri linear anti aliasing, the default code has no AA what so ever as it was designed to be console compatible.,. blugh) and PHYS-X. that has so far only been used with Linear corridor level design and Modern gameplay mechanics (regen health, 2 gun limit, A-D-S, Expanding Crosshairs, constant control hints, low running speed and a limited duration sprint function ETC) would the graphics and physics engines

1. be able to handle old fashioned Multiple route, quite open plan, Long levels with full PHyS X features (including geo mod and environment destruction) at 60 FPS without grinding to a halt every few minuites to load "moar level"?

and 2. can it be converted to render a FULL H.U.D for distinctive old school gameplay mechanics (medikit based non regenerative health and armour pick ups wioth associated percentage readouts, Static Hairs, Zoom camara precision aim, an unlimited Weapons wheel, no Hints, and a very high running speed with no sprint function) or is the lack of H.U.D built into the engines coding meaning the engine cannot be converted to old fashioned gameplay plus modern shooting mechanics (totally impossible to fire from the shoulder and hit anything+ expanding crosshairs) being forced by modern Physics engines like PHYS-X? meaning i would need to use an older engine like idtech 4, source, Team Arena (id tech III), or UR3 and an older physics engine such as "HAVOK" to have an engine compatible with old school level and gameplay design?

sorry to be a pain, aldigheri, but you do know programming, and as i said, i do have an IP of my own, the IP lease Stipulates very old fashioned gameplay mechanics, and i want to know if a Modern Engine can be programmed to run them, or if any company that has the guts to accept the IP is going to have to put up with an elderly graphics and physics engine because modern engines are "fixed" to modern gameplay and cannot be reprogrammed to classic gameplay. so, can they be reprogrammed or not?
09-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Find