Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The game time forgot: Thief The Dark Project (and the sequels)
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: The game time forgot: Thief The Dark Project (and the sequels)

its a shame theif is in the shadow of splinter cell, as well, splinter cell isnt a good game anymore IMO, the earlier ones were decent to good, bordering on great for SC 2, but i really hated the last few. i wont say why.

MGS is a good game still, so i dont mind that being ahead of theif, but, wow, Kojima-San really needs to let his developers make the gameplay segments longer so they can match the prodigious length of the beautifull Cutscenes.

i still play all 3 Theif games, i dont mind the graphics ageing badly, because, i run a system of "can i see what i am doing? yes? they are good enough". im a gameplay guy, and theif, i think, still has some of the best first person stealth i have ever encountered, its a real shame its fallen from the radar. but, with Dishonoured looking VERY similar to theif, hopefully some reviewers who remember Theif will make some comparisons, wich might help people rediscover the old theif games, heck, they may even get a HD makeover, wich would be lovely.

heres hoping eh?
10-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Find
Dr.Rumstain Offline

Threads: 12

(10-03-2012, 09:16 PM)the dark side Wrote: its a shame theif is in the shadow of splinter cell, as well, splinter cell isnt a good game anymore IMO, the earlier ones were decent to good, bordering on great for SC 2, but i really hated the last few. i wont say why.

MGS is a good game still, so i dont mind that being ahead of theif, but, wow, Kojima-San really needs to let his developers make the gameplay segments longer so they can match the prodigious length of the beautifull Cutscenes.

i still play all 3 Theif games, i dont mind the graphics ageing badly, because, i run a system of "can i see what i am doing? yes? they are good enough". im a gameplay guy, and theif, i think, still has some of the best first person stealth i have ever encountered, its a real shame its fallen from the radar. but, with Dishonoured looking VERY similar to theif, hopefully some reviewers who remember Theif will make some comparisons, wich might help people rediscover the old theif games, heck, they may even get a HD makeover, wich would be lovely.

heres hoping eh?
Hopefully that happens.

Here lies a man who did no good,
and if he lived,
he never would.
When he is gone or how he fairs,
nobody knows and nobody cares.
10-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(10-03-2012, 09:16 PM)the dark side Wrote: its a shame theif is in the shadow of splinter cell, as well, splinter cell isnt a good game anymore IMO, the earlier ones were decent to good, bordering on great for SC 2, but i really hated the last few. i wont say why.

heres hoping eh?
Wow...did you just seriously try to compare thief to splinter cell?

[Image: 694.png]
10-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Website Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

no, not in the slightest, i am just saying that i have noticed in youtube that many users know all about splinter cell, and Theif is pretty much a case of "lolwut?", they have never heard of it, wich is ridiculous, and annoying, and sad.

when i say "in the shadow of" i mean that it has literally been lost to the ages because of the popularity of another game that has only a superficial similarity (they both have stealth as a main gameplay element, well up to SC3, it went rather ""kaboom-machine gun death micheal bay car chase", when 4 came along,wich i hated.) wich is a shame, especially when its become lost to the ages because of a game that has never been as good.

splinter cell used to be a good game, but its utter drekk now as far as i am concerned, but theif is still a Great game, despite its advancing years.

all they can be compared on is, they used stealth. thats all they have in common, the rest is comparing Pasta to Ferrari's. nothing in common other than they both come from italy! Early SC was more "MGS with the brains removed" were as Theif has always been closer to a super stealthy elder scrolls (similar medieval fantasy world and very similar feeling FP swordplay) with horror elements.

i quess i should have been a little more clear on that
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM by the dark side.)
10-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Find

Thats a bit more coherent yes...
10-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-04-2012, 07:40 PM)the dark side Wrote: all they can be compared on is, they used stealth. thats all they have in common, the rest is comparing Pasta to Ferrari's. nothing in common other than they both come from italy! Early SC was more "MGS with the brains removed" were as Theif has always been closer to a super stealthy elder scrolls (similar medieval fantasy world and very similar feeling FP swordplay) with horror elements.
I take offense at your comparison between MGS and SC. Not until MGS3 are any real stealth mechanics present; only running around avoiding cones of vision. If you mean brains in a story-telling sense then I agree, but SC has always been about raw stealth which is one of the most appealing things about it. The stealth mechanics are far better and the level design is much more interesting (seriously, have you played through the train in PT? Amazing!). I never enjoyed the gameplay in MGS all that much apart from the boss battles. Sure it's fun, but not really interesting at all; you are just running around waiting for the next cutscene to start (which is the main reason to play it). It works for MGS but almost no other game.
10-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

So is anybody looking forward to THI4F (aka Thief 4) ? Ever since it's announcement in 2009 things have been pretty "hush hush" about it, but I have a feeling that we will see more info about it next year.

Besides, the studio who made Deus Ex Human Revolution is working on it, so that is a good sign.
10-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Find
Dr.Rumstain Offline

Threads: 12

THIEF COLLECTION ONLY $6.47 ON STEAM!

Here lies a man who did no good,
and if he lived,
he never would.
When he is gone or how he fairs,
nobody knows and nobody cares.
10-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Find

(10-08-2012, 05:33 AM)Dr.Rumstain Wrote: THIEF COLLECTION ONLY $6.47 ON STEAM!
Nothing new, thief goes on sale on steam constantly
10-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Website Find
rndmnwierd Offline

Threads: 1

I really wanted to do a LP of my thief games, but for some reason, I can't record. ;.;

I know my name is a mouthful, use rndy if you like!

The YouTube thing that I do
10-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Website Find