Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Your Favorite Penumbra?
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
Your Favorite Penumbra?

We all have a penumbra we'll remember for a long time, so tell us yours!

Penumbra 2006 Tech Demo is my personnel favorite. The levels were varied and you didn't expect the monster(s) and the puzzles were clever.

Penumbra Overture is my second, mainly due to Red and the lonlyness that was found in the mines. Even though it was 2 hours longer than black plague, it seemed much much longer.

Penumbra Black Plague is my least favorite, but still pretty fun. Maybe it's from working with the HPL engine and knowing it's limits, but the game wasn't very scary for me. There was a few heart pounders but not as much compared to Overture and the Tech Demo. I never really felt 'alone' in the game either, and the events seemed clustered together. Finding Philip's father dead so early in the game also brought my liking of it down.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
02-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Find
Crusher Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Your Favorite Penumbra?

It's really hard for me to pick one. The Tech Demo was good, but it felt to me like it lacked something, can't say what.
I liked Overture, but hated the dogs, I think that there were too many of them, causing them to look less dangerous and frightening after some time.
I like the setting from Black Plague: I think that the Shelter is a better environment than the mine, but a mix of the two would certainly be a winner. I missed some more notes and text in Black Plague too, I think that Overture had far more notes than Black Plague, building a better background.
So I think that every episode has it's strenghts and weaknesses, and a mix of all would make a perfect result, so I can't pick a favourite.

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp. Or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning
02-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

The Tech Demo was the best at its time. It was horrific, fresh and I thought it had alot better both puzzles and scares than the others. Another thing is that you had to accualy USE the glowstick/flashlight and flares.
In Overture you didn't have any use for flares and in Black Plauge they had negative use (You COULDN'T use them to light barrels of oil). I had like 24 batteries left for my flashlight in the end of Black Plauge - they really should have put ALOT less batteries though three at a time instead of just one with a graphic of three.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Find
Fatbaticus Offline

Threads: 16

yeah the same idea of Kedjane
how you didn't expect the monsters its like a first person silent hill because all of the lights will random power down that kinda scared me.
I always hate going through the dark! Big Grin
03-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Find