Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Most Underrated or Overrated Games/Movies Thread
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: The Most Underrated or Overrated Games/Movies Thread

(10-10-2012, 03:12 PM)Aldighieri Wrote: Your first mistake was coming into the theatre expecting a deep story.

I just wanted to see Iron man put on a new suit of armor in theatre definition. XD
I expect a deep story in everything I watch. Why settle for poor writing just to see good visual effects or mediocre jokes? Without a good story and realistic characters movies and games are pointless. Even something like Big Lebowski for example, which is far from being a deep film, is well written, has a well thought out story and has realistic characters, in addition to being one of the funniest movies ever made. So why watch a movie that has retarded jokes if you can watch some real character humor that is way funnier than a reference to the latest fad that will become outdated the day after?
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012, 05:11 PM by Bridge.)
10-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Find
Melvin Offline

Threads: 38

An EXTREMELY underated game is Hotel Dusk Room 215 and Last Window: the Secret of cape west.

The game is SO good, yet it get's little attention.

[Image: 25F7U37.png]
10-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I like to think that there are two sorts of movies: "movies", and amusement park rides.

Movies are good when they are able to deliver a solid story, and get you to feel the characters.

Amusement Park Rides are movies like the Expendables, and Transformers. They deliver adrenaline rushing action packed scenes, and are often guilty pleasures of the audience, because there's not much else, but it's still so damn mind blowing amazing.

You'll occasionally come across a movie which can blend the two, and create the best of both worlds, but I don't like to begrudge a movie if it "realizes" it is trying to be an action-packed amusement ride, and not some deep story-driven show. I respect it when movies do that, and hate it when movies try to be something they "aren't". Even if you'll forget about the movie after leaving, it's still good as a "different" way of entertainment at cinemas.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM by Kreekakon.)
10-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Find
wolfmaster1231 Offline

Threads: 43

im not sure this is underated but i know that not so many i know have played this and that hurts

Underrated: Metal gear solid series

10-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(10-10-2012, 05:16 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I like to think that there are two sorts of movies: "movies", and amusement park rides.

Movies are good when they are able to deliver a solid story, and get you to feel the characters.

Amusement Park Rides are movies like the Expendables, and Transformers. They deliver adrenaline rushing action packed scenes, and are often guilty pleasures of the audience, because there's not much else, but it's still so damn mind blowing amazing.

You'll occasionally come across a movie which can blend the two, and create the best of both worlds, but I don't like to begrudge a movie if it "realizes" it is trying to be an action-packed amusement ride, and not some deep story-driven show. I respect it when movies do that, and hate it when movies try to be something they "aren't".
Being from Taiwan you're probably familiar with Hong Kong action movies right? Movies like The Killer, A Better Tomorrow, Hard-Boiled, City on Fire etc., which have some of the best action ever filmed plus a deep, involving story. Or games like the Metal Gear Solid series which not only ooze with style but have mindblowingly good writing, fleshed out characters and emotionally involving plots (I just completed MGS3 for the first time last night - unbelievable game; I have a pretty bad case of the notorious post-game depression right now). These are the games that will be remembered 50 years from now, not the countless 90 minute entertainment fixes.

EDIT: What a coincidence me and wolfmaster both mentioned MGS. I agree it is a bit overrated but all of the games have an average score of 9.5 on IMDB and they are regarded as classics so I think it's only underrated by impatient douchebags that skip half the cutscenes and then complain about the story making no sense and the characters being goofy and weird.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012, 05:29 PM by Bridge.)
10-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Overrated: (of course) CoD, Battlefield, and Slender

Underrated: Killing Floor, Tenchu Z (A simple, but unique ninja assassin game. It's low budget, but is easy to pick up and play, and that's something I admire), and Mirror's Edge. They would have made a sequel but EA said they only make sequels for their top 5 lists of games with highest sales. Dead Space 2 came 5th. Figure it out.

I think multiplayer in Mirror's Edge would be awesome! 1v1 time trials, TAG, capture the runner bag? I mean, COME ON. That'd be so much fun...
10-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

overated: Any copy and paste "modern shooter" videogame, wich includes Both any title from a "certain series of activision war games" (4 was decent, even if i can only play it for 10 mins a day before i go upside down, but the rest, yuck!), any battlefield game after and including bad company 2, or any game that uses the same gameplay mechanics as a "certain activision war game" franchise, that gets any score higher than Flat Zero, is in my personal opinion so ridiculously over-rated my only recourse is to assume the reviewer is a paid troll who has no idea what a proper videogame actually is.

Underated: Single Player gaming.. with the sheer prevalence of "social multiplayer" in mainstream games now, i wont be suprised if some games, especially ones from EA, drop SP mode entirely in the future. what? are people who dont like online multiplayer supposed to get a new hobby or something? ain't our money good enough? i cant put what i think of that idea, it really is full bore flaming.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM by the dark side.)
10-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Overrated: The Shawshank Redemption - Sometimes I get the feeling that people say "It's soooooo good!" just because it's IMDB top #1.

Underrated: Mirror's edge - Loved that game; the "sensation" of movement and gameplay is unique and refreshing, something which is rare in today's market. It's probably the best game (at least single-player) I have played in years.

Above is heavily subjective.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

10-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Quote: Why settle for poor writing just to see good visual effects or mediocre jokes?
I honestly thought Avengers was better made than most films. It didn't have the most thought provoking plot out there, but it managed to develop all of the characters and keep me interested throughout the film.(Something most films fail to do for me)

When it burns down to it, it entertained me, and that's all I really care about.

Most overrated thing, IMO, is most AAA games, and anime.

Oh god, the anime. Also the fans. Draw an anime face and people are like "OMGIMLIEKBESTARTISTEVAR!"

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(10-10-2012, 07:47 PM)Aldighieri Wrote:
Quote: Why settle for poor writing just to see good visual effects or mediocre jokes?
I honestly thought Avengers was better made than most films. It didn't have the most thought provoking plot out there, but it managed to develop all of the characters and keep me interested throughout the film.(Something most films fail to do for me)

When it burns down to it, it entertained me, and that's all I really care about.

Most overrated thing, IMO, is most AAA games, and anime.

Oh god, the anime. Also the fans. Draw an anime face and people are like "OMGIMLIEKBESTARTISTEVAR!"
Anime is just an artform dude. Have you seen Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke? You barely even notice they are animes, because they're so good.
10-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Find