Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Announcement Key to Freedom 0.9 (testers needed)
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
RE: Key to Freedom 0.9 (testers needed)

Illdash,

Christ... I've checked the pipe at first time I launched CS, there's nothing hard to find that the pipe is movable. And I looked into it - into pipe - and found nothing there. I've re-checked that pipe after you told me: "Check the pipe" and still found nothing there. I though maybe I've installed CS badly. So I've downloaded and installed CS once again. Checked the pipe and... found nothing. What the f**k?!?

And later... occasionally... absolutely accidentally... I jumped over it. That's it.

Very nice that I found a way finally. But I would recommend to make the pipe visually wider. It's just so narrow, that it simply doesn't comes to mind, that it's possible to jump into it. Surely, it's up to you what to do. But I'd say it's not about the stupidity of a player. It's simply not good when a player can't imagine that this or that is possible to do. And I was stuck at the very beginning simply because I couldn't imagine that the pipe is wide enough to jump into it. Anyway, once again, it's up to you what to do, you're the only author and creator and I respect this.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012, 08:50 PM by Alex Ros.)
11-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Website Find
lllDash Offline

Threads: 12

My to do list:

Make the pipe puzzle more obvious - check

My Custom Story: KEY TO FREEDOM: http://www.moddb.com/mods/key-to-freedom
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM by lllDash.)
11-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Don't get me wrong. The problem is not that something is not obvious. It's a cool thing that there's no keys and 1st you have to break the window and 2nd you have to brake a pipe and jump into it. 2 doors without a keys is a cool and very unexpected decision. Now when I understood what was all about I really like it. Really nice beginning of a Custom Story. Honestly.

The only problem is that when I see a window and an interior behind it - I can imagine that I can get in by breaking the glass. But when I'm breaking the pipe I can't imagine that it's possible to jump into it, simply visually the pipe is too narrow. And if you will put some kind of a memento "check the pipe" it won't help, it would ruin your own great idea. Really.

-----
Added later...

Having a nice playing. Clever puzzles. Got second note in that room with an empty cabinet and... stuck again. All other doors are closed at the corridor, all shelves are empty...
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012, 11:57 PM by Alex Ros.)
11-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Website Find
lllDash Offline

Look up at where the second note was.

Edit: Just updated the download. The new link in the 1st post lets you download a version of this CS with some fixes to a few bugs that Ive discovered since my last upload. Nothing major, I would probably call it version 0.9001

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 12:18 AM by lllDash.)
11-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Find
SonOfLiberty796 Offline

Threads: 39

So I decided to "test" your custom story and these are the recommendations I have for you so far:

-MAKE Mementos!: I'm sure someone has already stressed this out, but man, I didn't even know what to do in your story. I was confused and getting lost and just getting over it (you definitely don't want your story to make someone get over playing). However, I know you said that you're still adding more stuff and this is just a beta, but I wanted to make this clear so that you don't forget :p. Drill this idea into your head.

-Add More Music: This is definitely one thing. Some people may actually think that not putting music makes the game "scarier" and more "intense". Not exactly. Let's say you have some "relaxing" music in a certain room and it makes the player thing "Ok, I'm safe. Good". Now, in this certain room, they don't know that there's a monster waiting to spawn. You'll catch them off guard and BAM, you'll scare the living crap out of them. Because they think that they're in a safe area when in reality, they aren't. It doesn't even have to be a monster ether, it can be anything else scary, like a scream or voices or even "supernatural" events. Just make sure, however, when you get the player scared, replace the "relaxing" music with suspenseful/scary music.

-Tinderboxes and Oil: In the beginning of this CS, I found that there was none of these items to be found. This can be both good and bad, in my opinion. Good because you make the player desperate to find oil and tinderboxes, pretty much desperate for light (it gets them tensed up and a bit scared). Bad because if the map is too dark, we can't see, and if we can't see, then we can't play. Players can also adjust to the dark, eventually, and then they won't be scared of the dark anymore. However, you don't want to spam all these tinderboxes and oil, ether. It'll make it too easy for us.

Now keep in mind (this goes for everyone who played this), this is my play through experience, meaning that maybe others have found these items in areas where it's hidden and I'm the one who's missing them all. If that is the case, then you could probably skip this advice if you wish. Unless others are actually having trouble finding these items as well.

-Lighting: The lighting on these maps is good, but with more work into it, you'll have stunning and perfect lighting!

Oh and by the way, getting the lantern was very unique, but I was confused at first. You should add a hint or a memento to how to get the lantern. Because when it said "how can I reach it?" I thought it meant like I had to get a rope or something.

So overall: Not bad. I'll look onto this story from time to time. You're doing a good job.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 03:55 AM by SonOfLiberty796.)
11-05-2012, 03:49 AM
Find
lllDash Offline

- You're right, The game does need more music.
- Yes, I did plan on having momentos, but only for the final version. I didn't do it for ver.0.9 because of time constraints (wanted it ready for Halloween)
- Lighting: Again, because of time constraints. But also it's an issue of Graphics vs Performance. I'm pushing for a smooth framerate because I even want players with mid-range PCs to be able to play this without any major lag. too many spot lights and even point lights are one of the main culprits of low framerates.
- You're right about the tinderboxes. But I'm gonna keep the oil the same (for the most part. I might tweak it here and there). The problem I've noticed as I have seen in many Youtube playthroughs is that gamers tend to play a CS differently from the main campaign; Meaning that in a CS people just use the lantern and forget to turn it off even when they're walking through areas that are well lit. Whereas in Dark Descent the player was always mindful of how much oil he/she had because of how rare it was. In Key to Freedom oil actually isn't that rare (if you keep your eyes open). there should be plenty enough for the pitch black areas, tinderboxes will make up the rest.

Thanks for the critique. I will implement some of your suggestions.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 05:52 AM by lllDash.)
11-05-2012, 05:51 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Look up Smile yeah... as hard to find as it's simple when you find where to look at...

Got my scary moment - eyes in the corridor. Had to change my pants... great moment! Real win...

The knights at the door are a bit funny...

Great moment with invisible enemy - slowly following, not chasing - it was a lot scarier that something is behind and it doesn't chasing you, just following... another win...

Could not stop. Very interesting to play. Had to stop after "coal puzzle" - solved Smile Goin' to sleep...

P.S. I've played a lOOOOOOt of CS. And this one is a lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOt better than any other. Surely the best CS. And I mean it. The best.
11-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Website Find
SonOfLiberty796 Offline

Threads: 39

(11-05-2012, 05:51 AM)lllDash Wrote: - You're right, The game does need more music.
- Yes, I did plan on having momentos, but only for the final version. I didn't do it for ver.0.9 because of time constraints (wanted it ready for Halloween)
- Lighting: Again, because of time constraints. But also it's an issue of Graphics vs Performance. I'm pushing for a smooth framerate because I even want players with mid-range PCs to be able to play this without any major lag. too many spot lights and even point lights are one of the main culprits of low framerates.
- You're right about the tinderboxes. But I'm gonna keep the oil the same (for the most part. I might tweak it here and there). The problem I've noticed as I have seen in many Youtube playthroughs is that gamers tend to play a CS differently from the main campaign; Meaning that in a CS people just use the lantern and forget to turn it off even when they're walking through areas that are well lit. Whereas in Dark Descent the player was always mindful of how much oil he/she had because of how rare it was. In Key to Freedom oil actually isn't that rare (if you keep your eyes open). there should be plenty enough for the pitch black areas, tinderboxes will make up the rest.

Thanks for the critique. I will implement some of your suggestions.
Hey, don't worry about it Smile We all have troubles with time. I had a big load of trouble when I was trying to release my first CS because of time constraints (in which it came to breaking promises of when it was gonna come out). And so, when the day finally came where I released it: it failed. Big time. There was a game breaking bug and hence, everyone got over it. Because I took too long to create a damn patch because I didn't know what was the issue. So time had screwed me over.

As for the lights and worrying of lag: very true. I forgot that if there is too much light, FPS gets hit hard. Smart thinking, friend.

Ah, I get you about the oil. Again, very true. It even happens to me at times, lol :p
11-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Find
lllDash Offline

(11-05-2012, 05:53 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: Look up Smile yeah... as hard to find as it's simple when you find where to look at...

Got my scary moment - eyes in the corridor. Had to change my pants... great moment! Real win...

The knights at the door are a bit funny...

Great moment with invisible enemy - slowly following, not chasing - it was a lot scarier that something is behind and it doesn't chasing you, just following... another win...

Could not stop. Very interesting to play. Had to stop after "coal puzzle" - solved Smile Goin' to sleep...

P.S. I've played a lOOOOOOt of CS. And this one is a lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOt better than any other. Surely the best CS. And I mean it. The best.
Wow, thanks. Big Grin Speaking of the hatch that you could not find, I've tweaked it; the candle is a bit brighter so it should reveal the hatch a bit more. Thanks for telling me this stuff.

(11-05-2012, 06:26 AM)Xvideogamer720X Wrote: Hey, don't worry about it Smile We all have troubles with time. I had a big load of trouble when I was trying to release my first CS because of time constraints (in which it came to breaking promises of when it was gonna come out). And so, when the day finally came where I released it: it failed. Big time. There was a game breaking bug and hence, everyone got over it. Because I took too long to create a damn patch because I didn't know what was the issue. So time had screwed me over.
Confused I found a game breaking bug that causes the player to die randomly or faint a lot (if the player did not find the 3 sanity potions in Lv1). I corrected this and updating the link (I did this on 4th November), you can download it and continue with your current save.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM by lllDash.)
11-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

As for lights it's truly too dark even in the well-lit places. For example that corridor with knights and broken windows - the place should be very bright, there's a lot of candles, but reversely it's dark and as a result sanity lowers very fast nearly everywhere. And there's a lot of such places. I'd say most of places are well-lit with candles, but still too dark and drains sanity. Seems like you didn't use Box Lights aka ambient light... or Point Lights volume linked to candles are too low... I don't know for sure, of course.

As for tinderboxes and oil - for me personally it's OK right now. Very similar to Amnesia where you were always remembering and checking how much oil's and tinders left. For example I'm trying to explore everything everywhere and I did find that "secret stash" on LV1 with a bunch of sanity potions and everythings fine with me...

-----

One real mistake in level design. The door near machine chamber (that coal machine), that leads downstairs. It opens with a valve, but there's no reason for that. I mean no gameplay reason. It's just annoying and nothing more. If it was usual door nothing changes in terms of gameplay.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM by Alex Ros.)
11-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Website Find