Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Is it safe and how to convince parents
Solitary Walker Offline

Threads: 9
Is it safe and how to convince parents

Ok so here is the thing, my career goal is to work for a specific 3 letter agency. It is recommended that you know a foreign language and also have foreign travel experience. I am in college and taking Russian language and I also do "street workout" not sure if you heard of it but a quick search on youtube and you will know what it is. Now my favorite street workout group is in the Ukraine,Odessa and I have become friends with one of the guys and we started as friends on steam, but now its to the point where we skype/video chat and he helps me with my Russian homework and workout tips. Now next summer is my only available summer, cause after that i will be doing internships for the 3 letter agency every summer(hopefully). My wish is to travel to Ukraine for the summer and stay with my friend for about a month. Now I see the benefits as:

1. Get to travel out of the country and get that foreign travel experience for my job
2. they say the best way to know a language is to go and live in a country that speaks that language; so therefore my russian will improve greatly
3. I get to hang out with my friend and all these awesome guys that do incredible feats of strength and get to learn from them.

Now the only part that sucks is convincing my parents to actually let me go in the summer. I mentioned to my parents and the 1st thing they said was "And get kidnapped my rebels and we never see you again? And then we will have to call Liam Neelson to save you." (Just recently saw Taken, good movie btw). Now I didnt tell my paretns about my friend that i have been chatting with the last several months, so maybe that will convince them that its safe for me to go. Btw im 18 so i can do what i want, but if i want my parents to help pay for flight i will need their permission. It costs $1500 round trip. Also do you guys think its safe for me to travel to Ukraine and stay with my friend? I asked on another forum site and everyone in the comments all said "YOLO" so serious comments please, and if u have any foreign travel experience pls share. sry for long block of text

here is link to video of guys i will be staying with: they are all my age group to btw 17-19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nnZKyQbS...e=g-user-u

Disregard Everything; Acquire Aesthetics
10-11-2012, 03:04 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: Is it safe and how to convince parents

Quote: specific 3 letter agency.
I'm pretty sure PBS doesn't care if you say their name. -_o

Quote: Now I didnt tell my paretns about my friend that i have been chatting
with the last several months, so maybe that will convince them that its
safe for me to go.
Somehow, I doubt it. You can ask them anyways, though.

Really, the solution is to simply talk it out with them, if they say no, then I'm afraid there's nothing anyone on Frictional forums can do.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Find
Solitary Walker Offline

lol
I think your are right in what you said though, the only way is to sit and talk with my parents and lay it all down on the table. I would understand my parents saying no if i was a female,(obvious reasons) but mainly i think they will be against it cause they watch sooo much "Locked Up Abroad" and they will base their decision off of that show.

10-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Where do you live now?
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM by Bridge.)
10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Find
Solitary Walker Offline

(10-11-2012, 02:05 PM)Bridge Wrote: Where do you live now?
United States

10-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-11-2012, 03:43 PM)Solitary Walker Wrote:
(10-11-2012, 02:05 PM)Bridge Wrote: Where do you live now?
United States
Well some places in the US can hardly be called safe. If you're worried about getting killed then the homicide rate in Ukraine is about 5 per 100,000. Compared to 91 per 100,000 in Honduras I'd say you could do worse (4 per 100,000 in the US). Apart from that it's just a question of being smart. Don't wander around at night especially if you are drunk, keep your money under the soles of your shoes, in your socks, in a money belt or better yet don't carry large sums of money. I don't know what the mugging rate is over there but always keep a bit of cash just in case you do get mugged. Not having anything to give the mugger can be dangerous, especially at knife or gunpoint. Apart from that, you just gotta take your chances. Consider how well you know this Ukranian guy and stick with him. He knows what not to do and where not to go and so if you trust his judgement you should be fine. Just tell your parents you want to see the world and learn more about other cultures outside of the US and how Ukraine is a good choice because you know someone from there who you can stay with.

EDIT: In most metropolitan areas, even in dangerous countries, it is usually safe to walk around in daylight. As long as there are people around you should be good (usually).
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 05:54 PM by Bridge.)
10-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Get a temporary job and pay for your own ticket. Problem solved.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
10-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Website Find
Solitary Walker Offline

(10-11-2012, 06:29 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Get a temporary job and pay for your own ticket. Problem solved.

I do have a job and I could easily pay for the trip myself, but i am already paying for my college which is costing me thousands of dollars a year.

10-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(10-11-2012, 10:29 PM)Solitary Walker Wrote: I do have a job and I could easily pay for the trip myself, but i am already paying for my college which is costing me thousands of dollars a year.

Is that to say, it is so easy that it is impossible?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
10-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Website Find