Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Rant Thread
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Rant Thread

SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I really wish the execs and producers had let Guillermo Del Toro do "At The Mountains Of Madness''.

Pacific Rim was an amazing love letter to the genre, so I can only imagine what he would have done for it.

Oh well.

That's what irks me about the big productions in Hollywood (Note: this oncoming rant is directed at them, not the independents and others. I understand that there are more studios than the big ones, thank you very much). They've been going on a reboot/rehash/recycle trend for far too long. Shame that people buy into it so this'll keep happening. We'll keep seeing cherished franchises being rebooted by people who have no idea how to treat them (or care about them), just so they can make some generic hollywood summer flick (bonus points if someone guesses what movies i'm talking about).
09-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

I hate it when Steam Guard access codes take forever to arrive in my mailbox. Uh.

09-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(09-16-2013, 11:12 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I really wish the execs and producers had let Guillermo Del Toro do "At The Mountains Of Madness''.

Pacific Rim was an amazing love letter to the genre, so I can only imagine what he would have done for it.

Big boys refused to product At the Mountains of Madness because it doesn't have a love story and happy ending. My face when I heard this:

Spoiler below!
[Image: ULTIMATE%20RAGE.jpg]

Maybe someday...
09-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-17-2013, 01:35 PM)Deep One Wrote: Big boys refused to product At the Mountains of Madness because it doesn't have a love story and happy ending. My face when I heard this:

It's unfortunate reality though. Stuff like that just sells better...

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

(09-17-2013, 01:41 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 01:35 PM)Deep One Wrote: Big boys refused to product At the Mountains of Madness because it doesn't have a love story and happy ending. My face when I heard this:

It's unfortunate reality though. Stuff like that just sells better...

Wasn't the reason, that he wants an R rating for the movie, but the studio only wants to pay when he make it PG-13?
09-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(09-17-2013, 02:14 PM)droog Wrote: Wasn't the reason, that he wants an R rating for the movie, but the studio only wants to pay when he make it PG-13?

It's kind of like something TotalBiscut said before: If you want to market something to the more "enthusiastic smaller" demographic group, the absolute WORST word you can use is "accessible" as in "We want to make this appeal to a broader audience, and be more accessible"

Using that word is a straight one-way ticket to hell, and painting targets all over yourself.

Image by BandyGrass
09-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(09-17-2013, 04:10 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 02:14 PM)droog Wrote: Wasn't the reason, that he wants an R rating for the movie, but the studio only wants to pay when he make it PG-13?

It's kind of like something TotalBiscut said before: If you want to market something to the more "enthusiastic smaller" demographic group, the absolute WORST word you can use is "accessible" as in "We want to make this appeal to a broader audience, and be more accessible"

Using that word is a straight one-way ticket to hell, and painting targets all over yourself.

Agreed. When the fuck did Hollywood decide that HORROR was to be ACCESSIBLE?!?

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(09-17-2013, 04:14 PM)Ye Olde Aldi Wrote: Agreed. When the fuck did Hollywood decide that HORROR was to be ACCESSIBLE?!?

I don't really hold it against them that strongly since they're just like you, and me, and they need to make money.

There's basically two ways they could go about this to try, and be successful:

1. Play it safe, use cliches, and make it more accessible. This will most likely guarantee that casual movie-goers will not be turned off by more extreme themes that we like, and feel comfortable with things they KNOW they can get enjoyment out of. Safe income. This is what most people seem to be gearing towards.

2. Take a risk, and try new things as well as extreme things. This is risky because unless you become a sleeper hit which takes everyone by surprise with innovative new ideas the innovation might very well fall flat, and not even secure a core audience like they would've done with option 1.

So basically nowadays studios are too afraid to take risks, and opt for a more play it safe route.

BTW I'm completely talking out of my ass here. I have no idea how it really goes down in the movie industry XD

Image by BandyGrass
09-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Actually a bigger part of that is that most of Hollywood's money comes from Foreign markets, so they make their movies as generic as possible so it can make sense to the most people.

'tis why I like Super hero movies the best, they can be a generic story about that specific hero and, as long as they keep to the characters, it'll still be entertaining.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 04:30 PM by Ghieri.)
09-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(09-17-2013, 04:29 PM)Ye Olde Aldi Wrote: Actually a bigger part of that is that most of Hollywood's money comes from Foreign markets, so they make their movies as generic as possible so it can make sense to the most people.

My money shall be the fuel that fuels mediocrity :3

Image by BandyGrass
09-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Find