Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CUSTOM ENEMY] Sinking into floor and freezing in idle
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
[CUSTOM ENEMY] Sinking into floor and freezing in idle

I'm currently testing the custom enemy me and Criso have made for our custom story, and it's almost finished except for a few remaining behavioral bugs:

1) When the enemy walks or runs, it sinks into the floor up to just under its knees. When it stands still it goes back to standing normally on the floor. We redid the animations for it, but the problem persists.

2) Occasionally (but not always), when the monster is giving chase and catches up to the player, instead of attacking it will suddenly go back to the idle animation. The terror meter is still playing, but it remains in idle (with all associated sound files) and does not respond the player in any way and does not move. EDIT: It seems to be consistently when it's running, so the problem may be the swing_launch animation. Not sure why it's not playing, but we double checked that the file was right.

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2012, 07:56 PM by Damascus.)
10-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: [CUSTOM ENEMY] Sinking into floor and freezing in idle

Open up the grunt enemy file and set the properties of your new monster similarly to the properties of the grunt. From there you can tweak things as you see fit.

Or you can copy the grunt entity, open that copied version, and re-import the model. That might work. I don't know what could be causing the sinking grunt issue. The idle animation during attacks has to do with pause between attacks. If you get attacked by a grunt you'll notice he pauses for something like 5 seconds between each attack. He won't even face or move towards you during this time.

10-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Find
Damascus Offline

I checked all my animations, and all their speeds are set to 1 or less, and the events inside the animations don't last very long either. Any idea exactly what specific property I should look at that's making it stick on the idle animation?

EDIT: For the sinking problem, someone suggesting making a "collision mesh," which I took to mean making a body for it. I created a cylindrical body and attached it to teh model, but that didn't solve the issue.

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2012, 10:11 PM by Damascus.)
10-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Find
Damascus Offline

UPDATE: I've managed to solve the freezing in idle problem. The game always checks for 2 attack animations, but I only had one, so when it tried to play the second one it would mess up. All I had to do was duplicate the attack and it behaves normally.

Still haven't solved the "sinking into the ground" issue, but strangely enough it's not happening to the people I've sent it to for testing. I can only hope that it's only happening to me.

10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Find