Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Outlast
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: IGN calls Outlast, "The next Amnesia"

Seems like pretty good [Rec] worship yeah

Posting Freak
03-27-2013, 03:16 AM
Website Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

What am I supposed to be scared of, listening to those two guys talking or raise my eyebrows in suspicion to a pre-rendered announcement trailer?

Where is the gameplay footage... played by notoriously terrible reporters?

Seems a bit to bright, I hope my Brightness/Gamma setting can be set to -200.
03-27-2013, 03:20 AM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(03-27-2013, 03:20 AM)Rapture Wrote: What am I supposed to be scared of, listening to those two guys talking or raise my eyebrows in suspicion to a pre-rendered announcement trailer?

Where is the gameplay footage... played by notoriously terrible reporters?

Seems a bit to bright, I hope my Brightness/Gamma setting can be set to -200.

Watch the four minute trailer embedded in the page, near the bottom and keep in mind, like Amnesia, no guns Smile
Looks scary enough to me... though guess there's no really enough to go on yet, just thought them calling it the next Amnesia was interesting.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 03:23 AM by bluel0bster.)
03-27-2013, 03:22 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

It looks interesting but reminds me A LOT of a movie called Grave Encounters (a knock-off horror movie VERY similar to the TV series Ghost Adventures...) and it just seems really cliche. "Go into an abandoned asylum. Crazy patients trying to go after you." I admire the detail that went into it but graphics =/= gameplay. I would not call it the "next amnesia", but it does have similar qualities. It's just a shame it seems so cliche. Not to mention the music makes it feel more "action" packed like an Alien Movie than a horror game. Really wish they'd have different "monsters" than that as well... Humans aren't really scary. It's the unknown that's scary. Any horror-enthusiast knows this!

If it's cheap enough, I'd give it a shot, but in my opinion, it's not quite impressive enough to get me excited. Simply sticking "The next Amnesia" in there isn't enough to get me interested.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 03:41 AM by Statyk.)
03-27-2013, 03:40 AM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(03-27-2013, 03:40 AM)Statyk Wrote: It looks interesting but reminds me A LOT of a movie called Grave Encounters (a knock-off horror movie VERY similar to the TV series Ghost Adventures...) and it just seems really cliche. "Go into an abandoned asylum. Crazy patients trying to go after you." I admire the detail that went into it but graphics =/= gameplay. I would not call it the "next amnesia", but it does have similar qualities. It's just a shame it seems so cliche. Not to mention the music makes it feel more "action" packed like an Alien Movie than a horror game. Really wish they'd have different "monsters" than that as well... Humans aren't really scary. It's the unknown that's scary. Any horror-enthusiast knows this!

If it's cheap enough, I'd give it a shot, but in my opinion, it's not quite impressive enough to get me excited. Simply sticking "The next Amnesia" in there isn't enough to get me interested.

Yah I've seen Grave Encounters 1&2. Looks like it's more than IGN, bloody-disgusting seemed to say something similar, and I've always thought they were reputable:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/322522...w-amnesia/
03-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Seriously, neither video will load. Really confuses me why people use shitty video uploader things.

[Image: luv.gif]
03-27-2013, 03:56 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

The first sentence in that review made me facepalm a bit... This obnoxious recognition is the type of things that deter me from interest in it. I can't stand things with over-hype. Modesty people, modesty...

I swear it's like they're just trying to throw the market at us. For example, how many times in a year do I have to hear a commercial for a movie say, "BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!"...? It's all bullshit, let the people decide.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 03:58 AM by Statyk.)
03-27-2013, 03:58 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

(03-27-2013, 03:58 AM)Statyk Wrote: The first sentence in that review made me facepalm a bit... This obnoxious recognition is the type of things that deter me from interest in it. I can't stand things with over-hype. Modesty people, modesty...

I swear it's like they're just trying to throw the market at us. For example, how many times in a year do I have to hear a commercial for a movie say, "BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!"...? It's all bullshit, let the people decide.

Reminds me, the other day I saw Silent Hill Revelations advertised on TV and they used a review saying it was "Film of the Year". Made me wonder who they had bribed to say such a thing.

03-27-2013, 04:04 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Exactly. Speaking of, it really sucks because I'm a huge fan of Silent Hill and I was really looking forward to seeing improvement in Revelations compared to the first movie. Then I found out they threw Pyramid Head in there and I never bothered with it since... Has Hollywood ever heard of "fans"? FFFFFFFFFFF--...

Anyway... Outlast looks interesting, but NOTHING compared to Amnesia... Amnesia's trailer had me sold in the first shot. Outlast kind of disappoints me. The extended trailer seems to action packed and I can't help thinking of Borderlands or Brink when that dude gets in the camera. But my god... The most recent AAMFP trailer. That's horrifying. That's how you make a horror game trailer.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 04:15 AM by Statyk.)
03-27-2013, 04:13 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

I liked the first Silent Hill film. Never bothered to see Revelations since it was only in cinemas for a week and was removed because of bad reviews/sales.

ON-TOPIC

The video finally loaded. I was skeptical at first because it did look too bright and such. The extended trailer was pretty good though, still too bright though. Made me jump twice. I will agree that its a real cliche of an idea.

03-27-2013, 04:21 AM
Find