Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Kids & The Internet
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: Kids & The Internet

I probably won't let any hypothetical children on until they show mental maturity enough and logged several hours outside playing. (Or, if they are like me, got on the computer anyways and proceeded internetting regardless of what my parents thought.) I would probably introduce it slowly to them, and if the other kids on the playground flashed an Iphone 500 or something, I can tell my kids about that, without necessarily letting them have one just yet.

Plus, when they are teenagers, I can pay them to grind my WoW accounts... I'm going to be a good father. XD

Don't look at me like that, I was just kidding. O-O

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

I. . . Am. . .

NOT A PEDOPHILE
[Image: splendorman_by_corel_cartoon-d5h5to0.png]
10-19-2012, 06:12 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Personally, I started playing PC games when I was 3. I always watched when my father played Commander Keen or some old timey shooter and at some point I just naturally wanted to try it too. However I had a lot of other activities to balance it out. I lived in a very small town, so there was always a lot of nature to play in and most of the time I preferred running around in the sunshine with my friends. Big Grin Only when it was raining would we stay inside and play games instead.

My parents were actually very reasonable when it came to stuff like games and internet. They knew that forbidding me to use those would just make it all the more interesting to me... Big Grin So when they thought that for example some game wasn't suitable for my age, they wouldn't just forbid me to play it, but they would talk to me about it, ask me why I wanted to play it so badly and explain why they thought that I shouldn't.
That's why I was allowed to play GTA 2 when I was maybe 8 or so - I loved the game because you could drive around in cars and explore the city and I didn't really care about the fact that you could shoot people etc. So we sat together, had a look at that game and they found that since my motivation wasn't being brutal, but just having fun, it was okay for me to play it. And I can't say that it has harmed me in any way. Wink
10-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Find
bloogleford Offline

Threads: 4

That's pretty sensible, and describes pretty much what I plan to do with my kids, you have some level-headed parents.
10-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(10-19-2012, 12:19 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Personally, I started playing PC games when I was 3. I always watched when my father played Commander Keen or some old timey shooter and at some point I just naturally wanted to try it too. However I had a lot of other activities to balance it out. I lived in a very small town, so there was always a lot of nature to play in and most of the time I preferred running around in the sunshine with my friends. Big Grin Only when it was raining would we stay inside and play games instead.

My parents were actually very reasonable when it came to stuff like games and internet. They knew that forbidding me to use those would just make it all the more interesting to me... Big Grin So when they thought that for example some game wasn't suitable for my age, they wouldn't just forbid me to play it, but they would talk to me about it, ask me why I wanted to play it so badly and explain why they thought that I shouldn't.
That's why I was allowed to play GTA 2 when I was maybe 8 or so - I loved the game because you could drive around in cars and explore the city and I didn't really care about the fact that you could shoot people etc. So we sat together, had a look at that game and they found that since my motivation wasn't being brutal, but just having fun, it was okay for me to play it. And I can't say that it has harmed me in any way. Wink
Is it wrong that I barricade the doors of hospitals with cars and then go in, proceed to violently slaughter everyone inside, except for the patients, which I torment by playing Justin Buckface for hours on end?
10-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(10-22-2012, 10:44 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Video games with violence don't affect the development of children or turn them into killers etc, that's underlying mental illnesses. The brain is very rarely affected to that extent by video games and you would need a mind already sensitive to things like violence that films etc could have the same effect.
Inb4 Jack Thompson.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(10-23-2012, 12:11 AM)Aldighieri Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 10:44 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Video games with violence don't affect the development of children or turn them into killers etc, that's underlying mental illnesses. The brain is very rarely affected to that extent by video games and you would need a mind already sensitive to things like violence that films etc could have the same effect.

Inb4 Jack Thompson.
Yo gaiez my little bro started playing Amnesia t3h d4rk Descent the other day and now he's the nicest kid ever! Whenever I order him around he doesn't even fight back, he just hides in a corner and stares at the wall!

[Image: p229xcq]
10-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(10-23-2012, 12:13 AM)Chronofox Wrote: Yo gaiez my little bro started playing Amnesia t3h d4rk Descent the other day and now he's the nicest kid ever! Whenever I order him around he doesn't even fight back, he just hides in a corner and stares at the wall!
So he's like the Daniel to your Alexander?
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2012, 12:27 AM by Statyk.)
10-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(10-19-2012, 06:12 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: I. . . Am. . .

NOT A PEDOPHILE
[Image: splendorman_by_corel_cartoon-d5h5to0.png]
[Image: its_a_trap_meme_by_krow000666-d4i2eot.png]

10-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(10-23-2012, 12:27 AM)Statyk Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 12:13 AM)Chronofox Wrote: Yo gaiez my little bro started playing Amnesia t3h d4rk Descent the other day and now he's the nicest kid ever! Whenever I order him around he doesn't even fight back, he just hides in a corner and stares at the wall!
So he's like the Daniel to your Alexander?
Too bad he won't look me in the eye. Starts gnashing his teeth when that happens.

[Image: p229xcq]
10-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Find