Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secret of NIMH Amnesia MOD
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Secret of NIMH Amnesia MOD

I'm still working on The Dark Depths in my free time, but I've had the idea of a Secret of NIMH concept into Amnesia. Some Pros and Cons in trying this are below---

Pros
1:
Size Difference---Pick a room in your home for a moment, being sure to absorb its layout and size. Now if you were to walk from one side to the other, it wouldn't take long. Now picture you're 3" tall on a shelf on the opposite end of the room and need to get to the other. Dropping from too high is risky, and it would be a puzzle just to get to the other end of the room. Things look so much different from a different perspective.

2: Looming Danger---If it was tricky getting past the enemies in Penumbra/Amnesia, then imagine how hard a mouse would have at getting by even one of those 'tall' monsters!

3: Length of Story---Being smaller, thus the areas seem larger, you can put more story into each area. Human sized characters running around in an area the size of a typical house you can only put so much story (you'd need a big castle or a deep mine). A mouse in a typical house sized area, you can put more story in each room.

Cons

1:
Notes---Both Penumbra and Amnesia the player collects left behind notes, but these are much to large for a mouse to carry (and I doubt they would write on mouse sized paper). The model texture on the note aren't readable so the player couldn't just read a note on the table.

2: Monster hitting area---If a mouse is on a counter or the table being chased by a Grunt, he'd have a good chance of hitting you. If you ran to between the legs, or running on the floor in general, you'd be to low his hitting area (I think). Even the Penumbra Spiders jump up to attack a human sized player. Aside from the Kaernk, you can't shrink monsters.

3: Jumping/Falling---Months back when I tested a small mouse sized player, I had two problems. First, I could jump far better than any normal mouse. I'm sure this could be adjusted in the config file, but at the time I hadn't tried. Second, I could drop from heights to dangerous for a real mouse yet still be alive. Not sure how to adjust this in the config file successfully.

I hope you all are intrigued by this idea as I am, and hope to get some input on how to solve the three problems listed above (and any others I might not have realized).

For all of you NIMH fans in the forum, I found this neat fan artwork who drew Mrs. Brisby as a human (with her mouse self for comparison) http://der-fuchsprophet.deviantart.com/a...-310987287

This thread officially puts my posts at 500! Can't believe I've already reached this much.
11-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Secret of NIMH Amnesia MOD

Rock Worm. Could you try keeping your ideas in one thread?
11-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
RE: Secret of NIMH Amnesia MOD

(11-05-2012, 06:53 PM)Statyk Wrote: Rock Worm. Could you try keeping your ideas in one thread?
I'm sorry about that Sad , I get so many ideas I like to put them down sometimes. I made a thread to cover any/all ideas a person may have for an Amnesia MOD here http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-19102.html
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM by The Rock Worm.)
11-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Find