Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Models[Adrenaline Syringe]
ZodiaC Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Custom Models[Adrenaline Syringe]

(11-05-2012, 10:01 PM)Robosprog Wrote: <.< >.>
Seriously???

[Image: 2H1Mc.jpg]
11-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Find
ZodiaC Offline

(11-05-2012, 10:01 PM)Statyk Wrote: That's up to the creator. It's not good practice to brush the issue off like that though...
Well I guess I will lower the polygon count.

(11-05-2012, 10:03 PM)Robosprog Wrote: You're talking to the guy with over 900 rocks in a very small area. So..
Rocks???

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 10:08 PM by ZodiaC.)
11-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5

And just to show, that lowering the polycount doesn't mean making the whole thing look awful, I quickly remade your model, high-/lowpoly.

Not thaat much differnce, I think.

Spoiler below!
[Image: compare4lo2f.png]

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
11-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Find
ZodiaC Offline

(11-05-2012, 10:20 PM)johnbox Wrote: And just to show, that lowering the polycount doesn't mean making the whole thing look awful, I quickly remade your model, high-/lowpoly.

Not thaat much differnce, I think.

Spoiler below!
[Image: compare4lo2f.png]
Yea I know but I never thought that this engine would have any problem with that kind of polygons!I've tried with much higher polygons and there wasn't any problems...

11-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Yea I know but I never thought that this engine would have any problem with that kind of polygons!I've tried with much higher polygons and there wasn't any problems...
Weell... its not so much what the engine can handle if its driven to its limits. The thing is simply, that its more professional in general to optimize the graphics as much as possible. You never know what PC your user will have in the end or how detailled your levels are going to be. One or even ten highpoly syringes might not be a problem in an otherwise lowpoly level, but if you have that attitude for all models you create you'll soon run into problems.

Maybe you remember that thread where someone asked why his CS was running so slow? Turned out the culprit was piles upon piles of simple dinner plates he stacked in a cupboard somewhere in the room. And those were lowpoly plates, made and optimized by Frictional themselves. Now imagine what that would have been like if every plate had...say... 1000 triangles. DISASTER! Wink

Edit: before I forget - that doesn't mean you have to throw away your highpoly models! The usual workflow in the games industry is to create a highpoly as well as a lowpoly and then use the highpoly to bake a normal map for the lowpoly. If done well, the two are almost indistinguishable afterwards.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 11:10 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
11-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Find
ZodiaC Offline

(11-05-2012, 11:06 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Weell... its not so much what the engine can handle if its driven to its limits. The thing is simply, that its more professional in general to optimize the graphics as much as possible. You never know what PC your user will have in the end or how detailled your levels are going to be. One or even ten highpoly syringes might not be a problem in an otherwise lowpoly level, but if you have that attitude for all models you create you'll soon run into problems.

Maybe you remember that thread where someone asked why his CS was running so slow? Turned out the culprit was piles upon piles of simple dinner plates he stacked in a cupboard somewhere in the room. And those were lowpoly plates, made and optimized by Frictional themselves. Now imagine what that would have been like if every plate had...say... 1000 triangles. DISASTER! Wink

Edit: before I forget - that doesn't mean you have to throw away your highpoly models! The usual workflow in the games industry is to create a highpoly as well as a lowpoly and then use the highpoly to bake a normal map for the lowpoly. If done well, the two are almost indistinguishable afterwards.
thank you very much for your friendly explanation really appreciate!!! Smile
Anyway the problem will be fixed tomorow!!

11-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5

Well... I finished the remodelling, but I'm getting a few issues while importing it to the model viewer... I'll see how I can fix it, then I'll send it to you ^^ Image is a bit dark, it's taken with paint. +_+
Spoiler below!

[Image: m3nmbswk.png]

have a nice day ^^

edit: I just noticed, that I got away from my lowpoly-plans, Statyk/Traggey/Hirnwirbel, do you think 500 polygons are still acceptable? :/

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012, 12:14 AM by johnbox.)
11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

500? No. For something as small as that and simple as well, you should try to go with AT MOST 150 tris. And I even think that is too much. With the model being small (about the size of a hand), there is no need to make such small model extrusions.

Here is what I did in an hour. A high to low poly AO and Normal bake. High polygon model to the left, low poly on the right.

High poly = 773 tris
Low Poly = 53 tris

Spoiler below!

[Image: syringerender_by_statyk94-d5kc88a.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012, 06:29 AM by Statyk.)
11-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Nice one Statyk! Smile

You see, the thing is, when creating assets for a scene, you have to keep in mind how big every object will be on the screen in the end. Let's say your engine can render a maximum of 500.000 triangles on the screen when running on an average PC and you have enough memory for, say ten 2048x2048 textures. (or fourty 1024x1024 textures...you get the idea).

Now in reality there are of course dozens of other factors that determine how fast your scene will run in the end (number of lights, drawcalls per frame, texture filtering, antialiasing, postprocessing, how shadows are calculated, if you're using lightmaps or not, bla bla bla) But for simplicitys sake, lets only take a look at triangle count and texture sizes right now because those are the most important when you're modelling.

Now your goal is to make the scene look as good as possible, so obviously you need to spend your limited polygon and texture size budget there, where it is the most visible. That means that bigger and more important objects get more polygons and more texture space than smaller, less important ones. The same goes for objects that will be seen in close-ups versus those that are meant for background use.

On a character for example it is not too unusual to spend a third (or even more!) of the polygon budget on the face alone, because it is often seen close up and it is also the main point of interest, where the eyes of the viewer will be drawn automatically.
Or a weapon that is meant for first-person use may have twice the number of triangles than a weapon that is wielded by an enemy or only used in third person, because it is further away from the camera then.

So, to determine how many polygons you can spend on your syringe, you have to first ask yourself how it will be used. If its just an ambient object lying around somewhere, going for the minimum of triangles possible is the way to go. If its used in close-ups (Like, say, you have an animation where the character jabs it into his own arm or something along those lines) you may want to make it more detailled so it wont look out of place compared to other close up objects. (Like the lantern or the characters hands)

Last but not least, there are LODs, Levels-of-Detail. I don't know if and, if so, how HPL implements these, but in most game engines you have several versions of your model at the same time with increasing polycounts. (up to five) The most detailled version is used whenever the object is close to the camera, the lower versions are switched in automatically when the camera is moved further away.

Same is done with textures by the way, but I believe the .dds format creates mipmaps ("texture LODs") automatically. Only that with textures it is not only for performance reasons (although it helps performance as well of course) but also to avoid the Moiré - effect that would be visible when viewing a high-res texture from afar.... but my wall of text is long enough already, so I may talk about that topic some other time Wink
11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(11-07-2012, 02:18 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Nice one Statyk! Smile

You see, the thing is, when creating assets for a scene, you have to keep in mind how big every object will be on the screen in the end... [And on it goes]
Agree - really great answer Hirnwibel!

I'll rep you for this piece of awesome.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM by Acies.)
11-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Find