Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Erie Game Support and Discussion
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Erie Game Support and Discussion

Dave Hopman introduced to me a game called Erie. You can play the game for free from Desura. The creators are currently trying to get enough funding to make a full version of this game. Various people have played it and sent them their comments in a video seen (along with more information) here [url]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mla/erie[/url]

The following link will send you to the page where you can play what they do have for free. http://www.desura.com/games/erie

Now I do not have desura so I can't try it, nor am I able to give financial support to the creators of Erie, that shouldn't stop any one of you trying it and supporting it. Just from the short video and reading on the game, it sounds as scary/fun to play as Amnesia!

As you can guess, I'm not one of Erie's creators.
11-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: Erie Game Support and Discussion

I accidentally the game when I tried livestreaming it for some of my friends, allowing me to do and see things I shouldn't have been able to. Whoops.
I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm glad that it's not the full version, as i have some things I kind of want to pick apart.
Spoiler below!

I like the way the sprinting works. Sort of.
[+]The speed is fantastic. You truly feel like you're running full bore.
[-]On the other hand, the blur is too much, I found.
[+]I liked the spraycan and how you could write on the walls to tell you where to go.
[-]I did not like how you couldn't really change the sensitivity of your mouse. I'd move it very little to the side and do a full 270 quite often. Workable, of course, just an inconvenience.
[=] Some of the sounds were well done. As well as some of the scares. But I'd like to stress some. There were a number of sounds that were just irritating (like the cat noise) and some scares that were a bit tame. For example, after turning on the alarm (Another irritating noise) I found that when I went to shut off the alarm, I didn't notice the creature that cracked the glass above the button, as I was focused on that.
[-] The graphics were...disappointing for a UDK game. Not bad, but very basic, particularly on the monster(s). The illumination on the monster also seemed off, as it was a bright yellow. Perhaps intentional, but it didn't seem plausible.
[+] The way that the notes were read was pretty interesting, and different from a straight up "Display paper on screen in full"
Only complaint is that you read it for a set amount of time, and I often couldn't read it entirely unless opened up in my inventory.
[-] The ending was....well, I hope that it is made better. A simple "You escaped into Lake Erie" image and then it returns you to the title menu. That's a bit anticlimatic, I feel.
[-] When actually caught by the monsters, it could certainly stand improvement. Staring at it while it flailed around with no noise was kind of...meh.
[=] I'm glad the cat collection isn't needed. The only reason that I could even find some of them in the first place was due to my accidental discovery of how to change everything to wireframe and seeing the cats in a bright purple outline (Also helped out seeing where the monster was. I'm so hax.)

Overall, it wasn't too bad. It had it's core mechanics laid out which are quite nice, with only a few minor tweaks needed. Most of the other aspects such as visuals and events could be played out nicer. This game has potential, and just needs to be pushed in the right direction.

11-08-2012, 05:39 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(11-08-2012, 05:39 AM)Obliviator27 Wrote: I accidentally the game when I tried livestreaming it for some of my friends, allowing me to do and see things I shouldn't have been able to. Whoops.
I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm glad that it's not the full version, as i have some things I kind of want to pick apart.
Spoiler below!

I like the way the sprinting works. Sort of.
[+]The speed is fantastic. You truly feel like you're running full bore.
[-]On the other hand, the blur is too much, I found.
[+]I liked the spraycan and how you could write on the walls to tell you where to go.
[-]I did not like how you couldn't really change the sensitivity of your mouse. I'd move it very little to the side and do a full 270 quite often. Workable, of course, just an inconvenience.
[=] Some of the sounds were well done. As well as some of the scares. But I'd like to stress some. There were a number of sounds that were just irritating (like the cat noise) and some scares that were a bit tame. For example, after turning on the alarm (Another irritating noise) I found that when I went to shut off the alarm, I didn't notice the creature that cracked the glass above the button, as I was focused on that.
[-] The graphics were...disappointing for a UDK game. Not bad, but very basic, particularly on the monster(s). The illumination on the monster also seemed off, as it was a bright yellow. Perhaps intentional, but it didn't seem plausible.
[+] The way that the notes were read was pretty interesting, and different from a straight up "Display paper on screen in full"
Only complaint is that you read it for a set amount of time, and I often couldn't read it entirely unless opened up in my inventory.
[-] The ending was....well, I hope that it is made better. A simple "You escaped into Lake Erie" image and then it returns you to the title menu. That's a bit anticlimatic, I feel.
[-] When actually caught by the monsters, it could certainly stand improvement. Staring at it while it flailed around with no noise was kind of...meh.
[=] I'm glad the cat collection isn't needed. The only reason that I could even find some of them in the first place was due to my accidental discovery of how to change everything to wireframe and seeing the cats in a bright purple outline (Also helped out seeing where the monster was. I'm so hax.)

Overall, it wasn't too bad. It had it's core mechanics laid out which are quite nice, with only a few minor tweaks needed. Most of the other aspects such as visuals and events could be played out nicer. This game has potential, and just needs to be pushed in the right direction.

Good to hear that it has potential, considering the few things that needs tweaking as you pointed out.I guess being a demo version the creators didn't put to much into it. I'm sure if they could do full version these 'bugs' will be fixed. I've heard a lot of people being impressed with the notes and such in game, makes me wish I could try it.
11-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

I want to play it but I have a lot of lag, I can't really enjoy it.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2012, 04:33 PM by The chaser.)
11-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(11-08-2012, 04:33 PM)The chaser Wrote: I want to play it but I have a lot of lag, I can't really enjoy it.
I know how you feel. The game looks cool to play, but can't enjoy it. If only you could download it instead of only playing it through desura.
11-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

Tried playing this, but I find myself unable to change the resolution of the game (runs so slow sometimes that it becomes unplayable).

Until then, I can't really do much on it.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
11-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(11-08-2012, 07:26 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote: Tried playing this, but I find myself unable to change the resolution of the game (runs so slow sometimes that it becomes unplayable).

Until then, I can't really do much on it.
Hey, at least you did one better than me. I do not have the ability to even try it.
11-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

Why is it that when you get caught, the monster just spends several seconds dancing over your screen?

[Image: p229xcq]
11-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(11-09-2012, 12:55 AM)Chronofox Wrote: Why is it that when you get caught, the monster just spends several seconds dancing over your screen?
If you were the monster, and you just spent 10 agonizing long minutes trying to tackle this annoying human, wouldn't you dance in victory over him? Tongue
11-09-2012, 01:02 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(11-09-2012, 01:02 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 12:55 AM)Chronofox Wrote: Why is it that when you get caught, the monster just spends several seconds dancing over your screen?
If you were the monster, and you just spent 10 agonizing long minutes trying to tackle this annoying human, wouldn't you dance in victory over him? Tongue
It's just the most....untraditional horror game death I've ever seen.

[Image: p229xcq]
11-09-2012, 01:09 AM
Find