Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help getting maps made
AveryLuna Offline

Threads: 1
I need help getting maps made

I'm fairly new to creating maps and tried doing alot of work to figure out how I can personally test my maps, I'm pretty sure it's a coding error or lack there of. My map doesn't show up on my custom stories list, I had to deal with Nintendo Castle Horror like that but it was just that it was in too many folders, anything can help even if I already have it.

Second issue I have is trying to make insane moments where your character gets more insane, my map I'm creating is going to have a brontophobic person (fear of thunder and lightning) and I want the character to get more insane from the moment, as well as making monsters appear the more insane the player is. So I was wondering if I could some how combine the thunder sounds, lighting changes from lightning, and insanity combined into one timed deal. (as well as figure out how to make the thunder a lot less consistent than every second)

Lastly is changing my character's voice, I want a female character and having a female character making male sounds is kinda.... bad, I might just take the sound files from Justine to fix that. It's alot of help I need and none of it I could officially find out myself unless I missed it but please help! Big Grin
12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Find
AveryLuna Offline

RE: I need help getting maps made

No one knows how to do any of this I guess, I'll try to figure it out on my own and stuff. I'm sure I'm just overlooking.... something.
12-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

You can use random timers to trigger lightning sounds + effects. Combining that with sanity loss and character sounds.. Well start out with adding a timer:
For example when entering the map - or entering an area - or option C of your choice.
AddTimer("LightingStrike", RandFloat(8.0, 15.5), "LightingStrikeT");

The RandFloat means what it will randomize a value between 8-15 seconds. You can change this to whatever you want. The difference between RandInt and RandFloat is that "Float" allows for values with decimals ~ 9.3 seconds for example. "Int" is numbers without decimals.

void LightingStrikeT(string &in asTimer)
{AddTimer("LightingStrike", RandFloat(8.0, 15.5), "LightingStrikeT");
//Play various sounds
//Remove sanity

Adding the timer within the function it executes will allow it to repeat itself. To remove the timer - simply have a
RemoveTimer(etc. etc.) within another function. You might also want to check for the general location of the player (optimizing in case you have a large map / or want localized sounds). Simply create large scriptareas and change a variable from 0 to 1 upon entering the area. Change that value back to 0 if the player leaves the area.

Adding this within your timer function will execute lines below this if the value is set to 1 (ergo player is in that area).
if(GetLocalVarInt("PlayerInAreaX") == 1)

That would allow you to play sounds near the player, and possibly have lightning effects (turning a flickering pointlight on and off for example) which occur where the player is, at a random time.

To get a female voice for your character you will need to perform a full conversion. This link might help you further:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-19019.html

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012, 01:23 AM by Acies.)
12-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(12-07-2012, 12:13 AM)AveryLuna Wrote: No one knows how to do any of this I guess, I'll try to figure it out on my own and stuff. I'm sure I'm just overlooking.... something.

Note, it helps to post this in the right spot. Check the current forum this topic is in now and post there for these kind of topics.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
12-07-2012, 01:24 AM
Website Find
AveryLuna Offline

(12-07-2012, 01:23 AM)Acies Wrote: Thanks, that's a whole lot to figure out, especially since scripting I haven't done much with. I'll have to reread it quite a bit though, but I think I can figure that out, thanks! Thanks for the voice changing link, I'll check it out imediately!
(12-07-2012, 01:23 AM)Acies Wrote: You can use random timers to trigger lightning sounds + effects. Combining that with sanity loss and character sounds.. Well start out with adding a timer:
For example when entering the map - or entering an area - or option C of your choice.
AddTimer("LightingStrike", RandFloat(8.0, 15.5), "LightingStrikeT");

The RandFloat means what it will randomize a value between 8-15 seconds. You can change this to whatever you want. The difference between RandInt and RandFloat is that "Float" allows for values with decimals ~ 9.3 seconds for example. "Int" is numbers without decimals.

void LightingStrikeT(string &in asTimer)
{AddTimer("LightingStrike", RandFloat(8.0, 15.5), "LightingStrikeT");
//Play various sounds
//Remove sanity

Adding the timer within the function it executes will allow it to repeat itself. To remove the timer - simply have a
RemoveTimer(etc. etc.) within another function. You might also want to check for the general location of the player (optimizing in case you have a large map / or want localized sounds). Simply create large scriptareas and change a variable from 0 to 1 upon entering the area. Change that value back to 0 if the player leaves the area.

Adding this within your timer function will execute lines below this if the value is set to 1 (ergo player is in that area).
if(GetLocalVarInt("PlayerInAreaX") == 1)

That would allow you to play sounds near the player, and possibly have lightning effects (turning a flickering pointlight on and off for example) which occur where the player is, at a random time.

To get a female voice for your character you will need to perform a full conversion. This link might help you further:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-19019.html
12-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Find
AveryLuna Offline

(12-07-2012, 01:24 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(12-07-2012, 12:13 AM)AveryLuna Wrote: No one knows how to do any of this I guess, I'll try to figure it out on my own and stuff. I'm sure I'm just overlooking.... something.

Note, it helps to post this in the right spot. Check the current forum this topic is in now and post there for these kind of topics.
I may have overlooked that, I saw "custom stories" and instantly thought "It pertains to making maps too!"
12-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10

(12-06-2012, 09:52 PM)AveryLuna Wrote: My map doesn't show up on my custom stories list

Make sure that the folder structure is correct (custom_stories/yourCustomStoryName/maps), that you have a well-formed custom_story_settings.cfg, and that the map file itself doesn't have an error of some sort (invalid entities and such). About this last bit: when you open a map in the level editor, the editor should show a message box if there are any such errors; if you simply resave, the new version will discard erroneous entities.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012, 03:59 AM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
12-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Find
AveryLuna Offline

(12-07-2012, 03:59 AM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote:
(12-06-2012, 09:52 PM)AveryLuna Wrote: My map doesn't show up on my custom stories list

Make sure that the folder structure is correct (custom_stories/yourCustomStoryName/maps), that you have a well-formed custom_story_settings.cfg, and that the map file itself doesn't have an error of some sort (invalid entities and such). About this last bit: when you open a map in the level editor, the editor should show a message box if there are any such errors; if you simply resave, the new version will discard erroneous entities.
No, it's not a map error, and it's in the right spot. I'm thinking it's a coding error I did.
12-07-2012, 04:12 AM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10

If there's an error in the .hps file, it should show up anyway - though it would crash when you try to start playing it.

How about the custom_story_settings.cfg? Does it point to the right map? Maybe there's a typo?
12-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Find
AveryLuna Offline

I figured it out, it was an error that caused it to not show up. Here's the issues

<Main

Nae="House"
Author="Avery Luna Riley"
ImgFile=
""i
nsertname"
StartMap="Trial.map"
StartPos="player"
/>

Now it's crashing, but it shows up now
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012, 04:59 AM by AveryLuna.)
12-07-2012, 04:58 AM
Find