Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia dark descent vs penumbra black plague
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Amnesia dark descent vs penumbra black plague

(12-19-2012, 02:12 AM)Chronofox Wrote: Bridge and Statyk have it right.

Googol, you also mentioned that "fun" should not be used to describe high quality video games. Can you just stop worrying about semantics?

Boy, this is not EA forum here. Where you can hype about fun games and casual action gameplay what is made for morons to bring big money.

THIS here is FRICTIONAL forum. For unique NICHE games, which understand correct about gamedesign. This really should kept on.

Don't ruin the forums please.
12-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Googolplex pls.
The forum has two cancers called pony mega thread and random thread... and its still standing... surely discussing semantics won't give the final blow....
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2012, 10:39 PM by Danny Boy.)
12-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Did you seriously just respond to someone saying you need to stop worrying about semantics by worrying about semantics more?

Posting Freak
12-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Website Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

maybe
12-20-2012, 02:57 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

That was in response to Googol, I was just being lazy and didn't feel like quoting him.

Posting Freak
12-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Website Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

(12-20-2012, 02:59 AM)Kman Wrote: That was in response to Googol, I was just being lazy and didn't feel like quoting him.

Damn it kman. This thing above exists for a reason ya know?
12-20-2012, 03:01 AM
Website Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(12-19-2012, 10:22 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(12-19-2012, 02:12 AM)Chronofox Wrote: Bridge and Statyk have it right.

Googol, you also mentioned that "fun" should not be used to describe high quality video games. Can you just stop worrying about semantics?

Boy, this is not EA forum here. Where you can hype about fun games and casual action gameplay what is made for morons to bring big money.

THIS here is FRICTIONAL forum. For unique NICHE games, which understand correct about gamedesign. This really should kept on.

Don't ruin the forums please.

Yeah you're right. This is forum for mature, intelligent UG hipsters who don't touch mainstream games of greedy big-ass studios even with a long stick. "Fun", or players of "fun games", are not tolerated.

Welcome to FG forum!
12-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Welp. Guess I have to pack my my stuff... Only because I played several mainstream games. opsy daisy.
12-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Remember the old days when people played a game just for entertainment? Because that's what they are made for? And you didn't get criticized for liking one?

Yeah... I miss em.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2012, 08:09 PM by Statyk.)
12-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Find
NightSshadeGaming Offline

Threads: 3

I prefer Amnesia, and here is why :
1] The custom stories - penumbra doesn't have that. I believe that a successful game must have some way to continue playing it, aside of the main story line. For example - why is WoW or Diablo so popular? I think it's because you can keep playing after you have ended the story Smile It's just an opinion so don't hate me for that :c
2] The enemies - you said penumbra's monsters are creepier. I must say that I don't agree with that. Let's see - for example the dogs. They aren't that creepy and you can actually kill them! A game in which you can kill the enemies isn't comparable to a game where you can only run and hide. Also as stated Amnesia's enemies are faster than the player and kill you in 1 or 2 hits. I think anything can be scary as long as it can kill you and you must hide from it. If for an example you play a game in which your main enemy is something actually kinda cute (for example a lollipop) you will still fear it when it has the 'target locked' icon on you Big Grin
3] Overall atmosphere - this one is the most important in my opinion. Both games are scary as hell, I think most people would agree. I honestly think that it's a draw here, since in penumbra monster don't dissapear while in amnesia, if you go far away from the monster, it just vanishes which kinda dissapointed me. It's supposed to be scary, cmoon! BUT! In amnesia as stated above, if the monster sees you you are a goner. So it's a draw here.

I personally prefer Amnesia but Penumbra is awesome as well. Now I just hope to see some even better Amnesia than before in machine for pigs Smile

Second Scary/Funny montage :P Even better than the first one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3a89LPxvBk
12-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Find