Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'New' Monster Questions
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
'New' Monster Questions

I'm trying to make a small, but scary, mod... however I have a question that I'm sure hasn't been asked before.

How can one make the Water Lurker/Kaernk visible? As for why I ask this, all I can say is this:

My Dark Depths story would have been Lovecraftain, short. It's problem was I didn't have deep sea related monsters to use. I then thought of a simple solution to the complicated problem of making a new monster. I will reskin a monster(s), give them neat effects, and thus make a 'new' monster. Making a visibe Kaernk-style monster is one idea.

In case Plan A (visible Kaernk) can't work, then I do have a back-up monster idea, but it to has a question attached. Of the Amnesia textures, what is the transparent texture/semi-transparent texture?
12-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74
RE: 'New' Monster Questions

Isn't the Kaernk just a moving sphere? If so, you'd have to create a skin and animations to go with it.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
12-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Yeah the Kaernk is just a ball.
12-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(12-27-2012, 10:26 PM)i3670 Wrote: Isn't the Kaernk just a moving sphere? If so, you'd have to create a skin and animations to go with it.

As I've found out, you can use (let's say a Grunt) as the body of a Kaernk-Class monster. Amnesia's coding makes it invisible despite the Grunt having textures and such.

Kearnk's are smarter than the Enemy-Grunt Class monsters. Having a box to hide your face, while effective against Grunts, is useless vs Kaernk-Class monsters. They're like the Penumbra's Grey Rock Worm, seeing through vibrations. Can you imagine a scary visible monster that can track you effortlessly (and can throw some neat effects for it along the way). Let's say someone made a giant worm in Amnesia, it would have to track like it's Penumbra Counter-part, and kick up dust while it moves.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012, 10:53 PM by The Rock Worm.)
12-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(12-27-2012, 10:30 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 10:26 PM)i3670 Wrote: Isn't the Kaernk just a moving sphere? If so, you'd have to create a skin and animations to go with it.

As I've found out, you can use (let's say a Grunt) as the body of a Kaernk-Class monster. Amnesia's coding makes it invisible despite the Grunt having textures and such.

Kearnk's are smarter than the Enemy-Grunt Class monsters. Having a box to hide your face, while effective against Grunts, is useless vs Kaernk-Class monsters. They're like the Penumbra's Grey Rock Worm, seeing through vibrations. Can you imagine a scary visible monster that can track you effortlessly (and can throw some neat effects for it along the way). Let's say someone made a giant worm in Amnesia, it would have to track like it's Penumbra Counter-part, and kick up dust while it moves.

The kaernk isn't based in where the player is, it's based in the height the player is in. So, kaernks aren't smarter. They are just based different.

The waterlurker is just a ball. To do the kaernk, a whole new code for it should be done.

About the textures:

You can make a translucent material (which will look bright) or a soliddiffuse with an alpha channel (alpha, if I'm not wrong, is what controlls the transparency).

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(12-27-2012, 11:12 PM)The chaser Wrote: About the textures:

You can make a translucent material (which will look bright) or a soliddiffuse with an alpha channel (alpha, if I'm not wrong, is what controlls the transparency).

This sounds great! Can you explain the soliddiffuse method some more/give an example?
12-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Find