Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Making a Custom Story
blakeman909 Offline

Threads: 7
Making a Custom Story

I've decided that once I get my amnesia working ( see my most recent thread) I'l try to make a custom story. I run on a mac and have amnesia downloaded from the mac store. If someone could provide me with details of all the things I need to begin that would be awesome. Thanks 1 Big Grin
12-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Website Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Making a Custom Story

Id say you should proberly at least finish Amnesia and perhaps Justine before jumping into creating a custom story just my opinion

THE WIKI: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/start

Also when running into an issue you should double check this part of the forum for finding articles and people with simular issues.
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html

The wiki is really all you need to get started but theres so much more to learn so good luck Wink
12-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Find
AwesomeGamingSkils Offline

Threads: 2

yeah, first finish off amnesia so you got some ideas.

When I started I wathced alot of videos on youtube. They are handy.
Don't think that it's very easy becuase it needs lot of time Smile

On my way to fix a custom map

Test map ( won't come online i guess) : 75%
New map: 5%
12-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

This is only my opinion:

As a beginner you should try make something, and just play with how to level edit, and script. See what looks nice, and what doesn't.
Don't release this map.
You can always have someone to test your map.

Later when you know how the editor works, you can start having an extra window open, with the original Amnesia maps. From there you can see how they did. You can look through the different themes (Sewer, mansion, castle) and see what looks good.

Trying is the first step to success.
12-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Find
blakeman909 Offline

(12-31-2012, 11:08 AM)martinnord Wrote: Id say you should proberly at least finish Amnesia and perhaps Justine before jumping into creating a custom story just my opinion

THE WIKI: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/start

Also when running into an issue you should double check this part of the forum for finding articles and people with simular issues.
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html

The wiki is really all you need to get started but theres so much more to learn so good luck Wink

I have finished normal mode. I'm currently doing justine. i've done about 20 custom maps so I have a pretty good feel of what is scary and how to make a good puzzle. Thanks for the help! Big Grin

(12-31-2012, 01:24 PM)beecake Wrote: This is only my opinion:

As a beginner you should try make something, and just play with how to level edit, and script. See what looks nice, and what doesn't.
Don't release this map.
You can always have someone to test your map.

Later when you know how the editor works, you can start having an extra window open, with the original Amnesia maps. From there you can see how they did. You can look through the different themes (Sewer, mansion, castle) and see what looks good.

Sounds good, thanks!
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2012, 06:05 PM by blakeman909.)
12-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Website Find
str4wberrypanic Offline

Threads: 24

no jumpscares pls

12-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Find
blakeman909 Offline

It says that I can't use the editor on the Mac Store version of amnesia! What can i do?
12-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Website Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(12-31-2012, 06:14 PM)blakeman909 Wrote: It says that I can't use the editor on the Mac Store version of amnesia! What can i do?

You should be. It is a dmg. file right?
I just downloaded it, and opened it, and it works fine..
Though i'm not working on a mac, when i work.. But it opens fine

Trying is the first step to success.
12-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Find
blakeman909 Offline

Ok can someone help? I can't edit the resources.cfg file because I don't own the file it says. Also I made changes to the way amnesia is supposed to load and it now quits and says I don't have this one init file or something, any ideas of what to do?
01-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Website Find
343 Offline

Threads: 0

(01-01-2013, 02:36 AM)blakeman909 Wrote: Ok can someone help? I can't edit the resources.cfg file because I don't own the file it says. Also I made changes to the way amnesia is supposed to load and it now quits and says I don't have this one init file or something, any ideas of what to do?

Try to move it to ur desktop, edit it there and then move it back. I did have quite same problems before and I had to move it to desktop and then back.
01-03-2013, 04:07 AM
Find